Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Overrated and underrated Nintendo classics

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@motion2000:

If you ask me: No. OK, there were some good ones but I still think they were much too obvious (but maybe only my opinion)... And most were far too similar - much more similar than Zelda puzzles with old Zelda-Games-Puzzles...

EDIT:

To those above F-Zero-Games: I never played one so I can't say something becuase of it BUT I will definitally buy the Wii-One then I will be able to say how I like it or not... Maybe I will buy the Player's Choich one before but only if I don't have anything to play until then...

EDIT2:

The next adventure Rare great was (if you ask me) great again: Kameo.

I really liked that one. It might was not the longest game too but otherwise I think it was a really great game...

Metroid Prime: Echoes was defo over rated. It was a mere shawdow of it's predecessor.

well its hard to call metroid overated though is it.i mean its hardly the most seeling game series.But in terms of reviews and hype yes it was over rated but still not crap and still better than hunters

Yes thank you, Starfox Adventures was overrated. Just because it was made by Rare doesn't make it good. I agree with everything ghost zero said, although I personally didn't like tha game.

How can Starfox Adventures over-rated? Most reviews and people slate it!

I think it's under-rated because I think it's brilliant, contrary to popular thinking.

@motion2000:

If you ask me: No. OK, there were some good ones but I still think they were much too obvious (but maybe only my opinion)... And most were far too similar - much more similar than Zelda puzzles with old Zelda-Games-Puzzles...

to be fair, it's not like Zelda puzzles are that new and different these days anyway, they're pretty much the same sorta things in every game.

All I remember was thinking every so often was how innovative Starfox Adventures was compared to Zelda. Of course it was no where near as good but somethings surpassed Zelda in my eyes. The bit where you had to remain calm by keeping the pointer stationary and not look at all the visuals (scary things around you): genius. I just thought it was a very fun, very big RPG.

hm i heard both ways with starfox i never played it actually.Still see it really cheaply.I heard weird things like you can have only one fighter attacking you at one time or someting?

Dunno about that last bit.

Play it, it's very good. Then again if you don't think much of Zelda you probably won't like it. It's Zelda Lite, but it's still a lot of fun to play (I think).

to be fair, it's not like Zelda puzzles are that new and different these days anyway, they're pretty much the same sorta things in every game.

All I remember was thinking every so often was how innovative Starfox Adventures was compared to Zelda. Of course it was no where near as good but somethings surpassed Zelda in my eyes. The bit where you had to remain calm by keeping the pointer stationary and not look at all the visuals (scary things around you): genius. I just thought it was a very fun, very big RPG.

Dunno about that last bit.

Play it, it's very good. Then again if you don't think much of Zelda you probably won't like it. It's Zelda Lite, but it's still a lot of fun to play (I think).

ok i sisnt think much of OOT or well any of the 3d ones.i love link to the past to bits because it was fast paced.if its puzzle based i might like it.After all i like metroid haha

How can Starfox Adventures over-rated? Most reviews and people slate it!

I think it's under-rated because I think it's brilliant, contrary to popular thinking.

It got rated around 8/10 ish which is overrated as I saw it as a 6 or 7/10 game.

Innovative? What did Starfox Adventures actually innovate? I guess it was innovative in creating a zelda clone, with lame puzzles, dumb combat, horrible dungeons and a very linear structure. What really annoyed me was how they threw in the classic on-rails Arwing bits as an afterthought. Graphics were very nice, however it just goes to show where the priorities were in making this game.

Now I may get slated but that is honest to god my opinion. Starfox deserved better.

I cant stand any starfox game.64 was a bit fun but so very very short.They could be so much more.i thought assualt had the right idea to begin with.With land battles.if they can make this work then it could be awesome.i hate this if they screw up once then return to roots attitude

I am with Zell here... The puzzles were always the same and that inside the game itself. Where in Zelda you at least have different kind of puzzles during the game (of course not completely but at least most of it because of different items). In Starfox they were the same and much to obvious.

Graphics were great indeed but that's it. Combat system was bad too. OK, it most time is not to hard to kill enemies in Adventure games BUT in StarFox Adventures it is nearly impossible to not win in combat...

Kameo may has been innovativ and also has a better combat system than StarFox Adventures...

I suppose when you compare it to Zelda it'll be hard for SFA to win. I'm not saying it's better than Zelda at all, it's extremely linear and some of the puzzles are too obvious. What I meant was a few of the puzzles were extremely cool.

It got around 8/10 generally? Fair enough I thought it was far lower than that.

I'd say it deserves an 8.5/9.

Also if I don't compare it to Zelda. It is still overrated. You said it yourself too obvious and also probably too linear and they could have removed fighting completely and it would not have been much harder or something like this.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked it (some things were nice after all) BUT it was overrated...

Kameo (also by Rare) was/is FAR better.

Metroid prime 2 wasn't completely awful.You just found it hard.We all did it was infuriating.i completed it and never felt happier.It does leave you feeling satified with yourself

Soul calibur 2 is awesome.one of the best beat em ups last gen

For the record, Metroid Prime 2 wasn't difficult, it just got a bit confusing at times. Hehe, If you look at the 50 best games of all time feature N-Europe had, there was a quote from me saying that it was better than the original in several ways; I hold by that statement, because it was darker, more atmospheric, had better music, and was more difficult.

Agree with the Soul Calibur thing; one of the best casual fighters of all time.

For the record, Metroid Prime 2 wasn't difficult, it just got a bit confusing at times. Hehe, If you look at the 50 best games of all time feature N-Europe had, there was a quote from me saying that it was better than the original in several ways; I hold by that statement, because it was darker, more atmospheric, had better music, and was more difficult.

darker yes,more difficult yes,and yes it was hard maybe not gameplsy wise as you said but its confusing but certainly not better music or more atmospheric.I totally disagree with music even though it had the more original soundtrack

Agree with the Soul Calibur thing; one of the best casual fighters of all time.

When I first completed Prime 2, I thought it was better than the original, although in hindsight I appreciate the original game better for all it achieved, so I say Prime > echoes but both are obviously amazing.

Regarding Starfox, I never played Assualt/Armada but I heard namco really cocked up, so I avoided.

well its hard to call metroid overated though is it.i mean its hardly the most seeling game series.But in terms of reviews and hype yes it was over rated but still not crap and still better than hunters

I love the metroid series, it's one of the best. In fact Prime is my fave game on the 'Cube. But I felt the sequel was good, but disappointing. I just wanted more of the same really, and the dark world/light world thing with the ammo didn't work for me. I still like it though, and I'll never stop loving the series. Super Metroid was truly mindblowing too, plus I even love the NES one.

I have to say, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Starfox Fan -but only because of Lylat Wars, Starwing and Starfox Command.

Starfox Adventures was a Calorie-Free version of Zelda that was ridiculously limited at times, and Starfox Assault was just a bit shabby in everything it did.

Though I am replaying the game after getting it fo £6 from my local 2nd hand store, and it's alright, but no classic.

I have to say, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Starfox Fan -but only because of Lylat Wars, Starwing and Starfox Command.

Starfox Adventures was a Calorie-Free version of Zelda that was ridiculously limited at times, and Starfox Assault was just a bit shabby in everything it did.

Though I am replaying the game after getting it fo £6 from my local 2nd hand store, and it's alright, but no classic.

I loved Lyat Wars soooo much, it's game tha reached it's peak though. We just need more of the same now with better graphics. Sometimes games don't need to evolve because they're too good.

I LOL @ everyone that said Smash Bros Melee is overrated.

I LOL @ everyone that said Smash Bros Melee is overrated.

I loved Lyat Wars soooo much, it's game tha reached it's peak though. We just need more of the same now with better graphics. Sometimes games don't need to evolve because they're too good.

Quoted for the truth. I need a new on rails Star Fox so much...

• 2 weeks later...

Underated

Killer 7 - Some people didn't get on with it, but for someone who played through it, I feel sorry for all those who didn't get to the end.

Any Fire Emblem game ever - cba to repeat myself again, character relationships blah blah blah

WiiSports - Mainly from hardcore gamers, who have this whole stuck up pretentious view towards a game just because it's a little simple and because the graphics don't let you see the sweat pouring off the character. F**k HD, this is the future

Overated

Starfox adventures - Apparently people like it. God knows why, this boring collect-a-thon gave me a ten hour headache. Least satisfying game ever.

Tales of Symphonia - Despite from an incredible battle system, which kept me playing, the 70-hour cliche fell short in a load of departments.

Yeah I agree, ToS was overrated. Although it was a very solid RPG, it was overly long, had uninspired dungeons which were there only to make the game longer, a story that ripped off FFX, and a very "iffy" system. Good game, but not in the same league as Final Fantasy.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!