Bren

Legalize It!

Should it be legal?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be legal?

• Yeh (explain reasons why)
    • Nah (explain reasons why)

Wine is relaxing.

Anyway, haven't we had this thread before? If not certainly this discussion.

This man is dead correct.

The whole thing about Cannabis being a gateway drug is only because it´s been put in that territory where dealers make more money by advising the consumer to buy stronger and more addictive drugs.

If there special Government shops that were allowed to sell Cannabis there would far less of: "I´m out of it, want some pills instead?"

It would also put the Government shops in competition with the black market ones which means that the government shops have to offer affordable prices to make this work.

And the whole influence on kids thing? Aren´t a lot of kids being told by adults, siblings, relatives that smoking/drinking is bad even though they smoke/drink?

And it also means i could get away with growing it to stop me spendin cash on it. Which would be well gud

I would like it to be legal but then I don't smoke it everyday, just the odd here and there. I don't really care if it is legal or illegal, will have no difference on me.

having seen the effects of its abuse and the damage it can do i think that legalising it would be a very iressponsible thing to do.

while i am very aware that ocasional use is not harmfull, it is very easy for that to become regular use which is undeniably harmfull, partly physically but to a greater extent mentally, from the obvious memory issues to the apathy to eventually changes in character. depending on use thse can be very long term.

i have lost a good friend through weed, as well as my brothers. I have 2 other friends who have very little future, and for whom weed has very definetly been a gateway drug to a cast range of drugs. I dont think even they would deny either the harm its done their lives or how its acted as a gateway drug.

That documentary ( ;) )from the 1930s, Reefer Madness I presume.

"Creeping like a communist, it's knocking at our doors

Turning all our children into hooligans and whores"

Ace film (or at least the remake is, not seen the original)

I've seen too many of my friends start out on weed and end up screwing themselves up on harder stuff.

No. Shouldn't be legalised.

So all the alcoholics in the world are lying?

No, I'm just saying there isn't so large a proportion. I mean loads and loads of people drink alcohol and there isn't a ginourmous amount of alcoholics. A big number, but not very big when looked at in proportion to the total amount of drinkers in the world

What? Where did you get either of these facts? Cannabis is not a particularly addictive drug. It's far less addictive than say... caffeine.

Bollocks.

proof?

I base my opinions and thoughts I suppose mainly on the education I have received throughout my years of schooling. I read all the leaflets etc, maybe they all lie, but I think there has to be a good reason why it is not legalised here. Right?

However, for those pro legislation, a good place to look at would be Amerstam. Did it work there? I would be interested to know what actual affects it had on the place.

Amsterdam is ment to be one of the best places to visit in the world. Its a place of constant fun and intrest. I cant wait to visit.

my general view is that taking anything heavily over a long period of time has adverse effects - with that i'm also including stuff like paracetamol. None of this stuff is really natural to the body.

In the short term or sensible use, it's usually not a problem - although i've known a couple of people really freak out on the stuff.

Anyway, do i think it should be made legal? no i dont, for those that want it, it's easy enough to get. I think having it legal could give an image that harder drugs are more acceptable and i also think it'd mess up British tourism, sure we'd get more tourists of a certain type, but it'd narrow the international view of england. There is a very narrow view of Amsterdam and Holland in general cos of the relaxed attitude towards drugs in Amsterdam. I was dating someone in Holland and would get the strangest looks from people whenever i said i was flying there, often looks of disgust.

Been to Amsterdam a few times and it's very laid back (in the right areas), nice to be able to sit in a coffee shop and have a smoke.

Of course weed's not legal in Amsterdam anyway, contary to popular belief.

I'd say if you wanted to look at it as an example of what would happen to the UK I'd look at the country as a whole, not just the tourist traps and red light district of Amsterdam.

For the record, birds haven't fallen out of the sky and the world hasn't ended because cops don't have to spend their time doing the paperwork to caution some lad with an eigth in his pocket every five minutes.

Much like the French's laid back approach to underage drinking and the Swede's relaxed attitude to sex and sexual education has spared them from the suicidal binge drinking culture and record levels of teenage pregnancy seen in the UK.

Amsterdam is ment to be one of the best places to visit in the world. Its a place of constant fun and intrest. I cant wait to visit.

Amsterdam is a varied place, of course with the 'coffee shops' and clubs, but it also has alot of culture and amazing looking streets and canals. However, Amsterdam is immediately thought of as a place of drugs, prostitution, stag parties and bondage - even by many people living in other parts of Holland. It's a very narrow view and i'd hate to ever see London get that kind of reputation.

One thing annoying with Amsterdam is the beggers are so bloody persistent and in huge numbers.

Of course if the UK (And expecially London) was the only place you could buy beer without getting arrested you'd have people coming from all over the world to get drunk and certain areas might get a reputation as a den of vice.

if that was the case, would you outlaw beer?

One thing annoying with Amsterdam is the beggers are so bloody persistent and in huge numbers.

And you think that's not a problem in London.

Some **** on a bike come up to me the other day asking 'got 10p' three times, to which I replied no with a more abusive name tacked on the end every time he asked, but he carried on, he only fucked off when I took a swing at him.

haha i can imagine that picture of you haha swinging for someone on a bike in the middle of a busy london street. Ah thats funny.

Once I'd have said yes, and part of me still feels like saying yes, but I think with the way Britain is going these days and how people are changing that quite frankly, the country just can't handle it.

I base my opinions and thoughts I suppose mainly on the education I have received throughout my years of schooling. I read all the leaflets etc, maybe they all lie, but I think there has to be a good reason why it is not legalised here. Right?
Well, I firmly believe that alcohol is more dangerous, and cigarettes are more addictive. I don't want to see it legalised, but I can't see the logical reason why it is not, when those drugs are legal.

Honestly though, cannabis is not addictive. I did it quite a lot of times in my mid-teens and then just stopped because I wanted to work a bit more and I fell out of a certain circle of friends. I never felt any urge to continue at all, never even thought the oh-so-deadly "just one more won't hurt" thought.

I'm a bit divided on the issue. Although I have been known to go back with friends and enjoy a wee smoke with a few DVD's I have also seen first hand how regular use can really damage people mentally. One of my housemates at university began smoking heavily in the first year and changed quite drastically. By the first term of the third year he could barely concentrate on anything and became extremely depressed as well as having no motivation to do anything (even going upstairs became a chore for him). He has since dropped out of university just because he cannot concentrate on any of the work any more. For this reason I think I'm going to say no.

People tell me there's psychiatric issues related to long term use but I don't have a problem with it. My Mum has MS and I'm sure it could do a lot of good things for her. Legalising it would make it easier to obtain.

So heroine, guns, nuclear arms etc. should also be legal? Hey it's a democracy and people want them so why not?

Get real.

Heroine- yes.

Guns, etc should be controlled (as should drugs, to an extent)

Basically, you're right, I over generalised.

I'm pretty liberal in that if you want to do something and it doesn't hurt anyone else directly then you should be allowed to do it.

Personally, I would like marijuana to be legal because I do it, it doesn't hurt anyone and I am a criminal purely because I enjoy an occasional smoke.

Apart from that, I'm a perfectly productive member of society.

'Get real'? where did that come from? There's no need to be condescending just because we have different opinions. Ya berk.

Heroine- yes.

Yep, I definitely think they should look into some kind of legalised, controlled supply of heroin. I think it would do less damage to society than the current situation, be cheaper to the government and safer for both addicts and the public. Doubt it'll happen though, people have an idealistic approach aiming for an impossible to reach goal rather than dealing with the reality of the situation in a sensible manner.