NEurope
Bren

Legalize It!

Should it be legal?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be legal?

• Yeh (explain reasons why)
    • Nah (explain reasons why)

Wow, no shit, thanks for pointing that out for me. Clearly my post didn't get my point across at all.

Yes, in theory you can OD on weed, and yes, it is more likely to die from alcohol poisoning than that. Both of these are beside the pont.

It's also possible to die due to the fact you've been influenced by alcohol, but not with the alcohol as a direct cause. I am of the opinion this is also possible when under the influence of weed, that is what I mean.

What do you mean by that? You can die from ODing on alcohol, you can't die from ODing on weed.
technicly you can but you would have to inject pure thc or something. you cant die from smoking it. Also people saying its not addictive, have you looked into that?

Everything is addictive, gambleing etc. not physicly but mentally.

Also the studies that show its not addictive physicly are under scrutuny by several other studies The tests they did on coke heroin and marajuana were all the same (in the 60's anyway) basicly you condition monkeys they push a button they get a hit of coke or whatever. the heroin and coke monkeys pushed on the button on a regualr basis therefor proving physicly addiction. the thc monkeys, didnt. however they were giving so much thc it was questioned weather they would have been able to move, to push the button. other studies have disproved it further others have confirmed it. so its up in the air. but whatever.

i have said no. due to the fact that it would be stupid, the black market would just undercut the governtment in my opinion they couldnt tax it as much as fags or alcohol so its of no benifit of the govenment. Imo, heroin should be decriminalised as it was in the sixtys. but thats another story.

I heard if you let monkey's press a button to get a banana, they do it a lot. I also knew someone who ate a lot of bananas and he was a dick and dropped out of school. I definitely dont think they should be legalised.

Hmm...taking this from the view of morality one can ask "is it morally correct to deny one what they seek?" Lord Devlin stated that "nothing should be punished by the law that does not lie beyond the limits of tolerance." However, tolerance should be extended to the maximum individual freedom consistent with the integrity of society. The limits of tolerance are reached at a "real feeling of revulsion", not merely at "dislike" of a practice. The extent to which society will tolerate something changes and adapts from one generation to the next. Take it back say 20/30 years, what is perceived as acceptable today, will more likely than not be perceived as wrong then. (However Devlin does believe that the law should be used to punish immorality the same way it is used to punish anything else)

Professor Hart believes that if we are offended by witnessing some act of which we disapprove, that might be considered "harm". However, distress at the mere knowledge that others acting in ways of which we might disapprove cannot be considered as "harm"

Therefore taking these two views into account, it comes to the question "is others who are taking these drugs directly harming you?" I believe not. Those who chose to take the drug do so on their own decision. Usually, from what i have gathered, pot is generally smoked in a living room with a few close friends, possibly in front of a T.V screen. How this can really hurt anyone i do not know. I do not take drugs and never will. However, i will not deny someone the right to inhale or digest anything they wish to so long as it is not in front of me, or so long as i am not harmed by it. If it were to be made legal i believe that there would be some hype but the phase would die down and it could be controlled and kept safe. This of course mean that the government would control the strength, however, those who currently do it "illegally" could easily get what they want anyway through their current contacts. If it were made legal they could even create special centres were people could go and get "stoned" in a safe and controlled environment. I do not see much wrong with the stuff, other than it can have long term effects. However, what doesn't have long term effects these days. By the looks of it, nearly everything i do will cause cancer anyway, and i don't even smoke. However, seeing as i do not take the stuff and do not intend to, i am not bothered either way. However i did vote for yes.

One more thing, according to the site http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic265.htm. There is "No clear evidence of deaths being caused by uncomplicated cannabis overdose exists; however, mortality may be associated with marijuana-related accidents, cancers, and comorbid substance abuse. Likewise, morbidity figures are complicated by comorbid substance abuse." However according to the same site http://www.ecureme.com/emyhealth/data/Alcohol_Overdose.asp " Alcohol (e.g., beer, wine, whisky, etc.), like any other drug when consumed in excess amounts, can lead to a serious overdose syndrome." So which is more lethal i ask.

in theory you can OD on weed

But not in practice, it is physically impossible to ingest the amount needed without the effects incapacitating you.

"I also feel that people , dependent on correct education , should be allowed to make their own decisions about whether they use or not."

ThePigMarcher can we take it from that then that you think Heroin, speed and cocaine should also be illegal? But only to people who have, say, got at least a B in A levels?

Also what about the children of people who smoke, who aren't looked after.

And why should we have to pay for people who abuse their bodies to be fixed, on the NHS?

But not in practice, it is physically impossible to ingest the amount needed without the effects incapacitating you.

I know that the lethal dose to OD on weed is very extremely high, and pretty impossible to do, but that doesn't mean people can't die due to the fact they have been high from weed, just like it doesn't mean people can't die when they're drunk.

This is what I'm talking about, stop taking such a narrow minded approach with things and trying to pick on little parts of posts and taking them out of context. It seems to be what the majority of people arguing in favour of weed are doing, and actually pushes me closer and closer to no and it seems like nobody has the ability to properly read and comprehend what they're reading. Two prime examples would be your 'mis-education' comment, and Bluestar's stupid post about monkeys and bananas. He also did the same as you and didn't read my other post properly before getting himself worked up and posting.

This is what I'm talking about, stop taking such a narrow minded approach with things and trying to pick on little parts of posts and taking them out of context. It seems to be what the majority of people arguing in favour of weed are doing, and actually pushes me closer and closer to no and it seems like nobody has the ability to properly read and comprehend what they're reading. Two prime examples would be your 'mis-education' comment, and Bluestar's stupid post about monkeys and bananas. He also did the same as you and didn't read my other post properly before getting himself worked up and posting.

Thing is, when you've got a lifetimes experience of taking drugs and knowing the pros and cons from real experiences it's hard to take people who know nothing but what they've read seriously.

Yeah, I understand that. I still think though that there's alot of variance between people though, some people react worse than others, just like some people feel tipsy after one pint, others only after 3 or 4. Some people go on killing sprees after playing a violent game or seeing a violent film, but not most people. The question is, how many people are susceptible to bad experiences while on drugs, potentially endangering themselves and others around them? The thing that's most annoying about it is that it's quite a hard thing to test, due to ethics and everything, and all scientific studies have their flaws too.

Funnily enough, watching bbc1 at the moment, I think it's traffic cops that is on, and they're talking about people driving and stuff whilst under drugs(not including alcohol in this one).

Not all traffic stuff, cop was called out for some kids apparently smoking cannabis. He couldn't find any but could see they was under the influence, so he couldn't do much but he told them not to do it. He did also refer to it being a gateway drug(in a little studio bit after), and commented that it'd probably get reclassified to a class B in the future. I do not agree with it being upgraded again.

EDIT:Apparently you can't cross your eyes when stoned, I dunno if that's intentionally, or just when trying to focus on stuff too close to your face.

lol my comment got people going (i was bein sarcastic, i am NOT that thick, well a little but not that thick lol)

but, no joke, i think anyone that smokes weed should well ummm ( wont say because people who do will attack me)

Everybody I know who's ever smoked weed is now a nutjob or an INCREDIBLY dull person who believes that weed (maybe drink) is the only way to relax and have 'fun'.

I'm sure both of those people are really cool once you get to know them.

back from the ashes.

Iv been away for a week (on a week long weed binge in my crack den getting so high i nearly jumped off a cliff), nah my internet broke. This topic turned out to be a bit mad. Iv just read through it, and haha some people say some shit.

LEGALIZE IT! :D

Oo goin Amsterdam on march 7th, so doesnt matter too much :P

Oo goin Amsterdam on march 7th, so doesnt matter too much :P

Lucky bastard, fortunately I have a friend going in 2 weeks who'll be posting me back several bags of the good stuff.

Anyone here dangerously addicted to pharmaceutical medicines?

Yeah, pothead-hating right-wing conservative Christian yank radio commentator Rush Limburgh for one.