NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dyson

What can they do next?

Nintendo are gonna have to keep ahead of the game on this one so I think the next console will inovate, not as much as GameCube to Wii, and improve. We've all seen those patents by Sony and Microsoft featuring WiiMote-esqu controls so Nintendo are going to have to stand out from the crowd again! Personally I hope to see the next console use wireless electricity so we can have more powerful controllers and less batteries!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

I would say the'll follow the 'pattern':

NES (innovation of the control pad)

SNES (better graphics, power etc)

N64 (3D, control stick)

GameCube (power)

Wii (remote)

So Wii2 will probably go along the lines of a more powerful Wii - perhaps more addons for the Nunchuk - feet sensors anyone? And perhaps make the Nunchuk wireless. Though perhaps they will redesign the controller, it won't have many huge changes (think: NES to SNES control - Shoulder buttons and X + Y). HD compatibility and improved graphics of course, and an imporved online, with the VC continuing and backward compatibility with Wii and GC games.

Perhaps this could be their last system ever and just release a pair of sunglasses that acts as a video game console. You insert a chip which is half the size of a DS cartridge which can fit up to 1 terabyte of data and you actually play games anytime, anywhere, courtesy of two powerglove like gloves you wear that acts as the controller for the system. You are the game.

Perhaps this could be their last system ever and just release a pair of sunglasses that acts as a video game console. You insert a chip which is half the size of a DS cartridge which can fit up to 1 terabyte of data and you actually play games anytime, anywhere, courtesy of two powerglove like gloves you wear that acts as the controller for the system. You are the game.

If you worked aat just any Research And Development division - even if it was just at Mattel - you would have bein fired on the spot for saying such stupid things. Just like fifty years ago everybody thought there would be hovercars by now, we still have regular cars and wars everywhere. It doesn't evolve that quickly. Glasses are not a bad idea - don't get me wrong. But it isn't possible to see a sharp images coming from things two centimeters in front of your eyes. Just try seeing your finger sharp when you hold it at a centimeter from your eye. It hurts if you want to./ Our eyes are not made for this. That's why 3D cinemas don't have screens in teh glasses, but jsut glasses that make it 3D. That, and because it would be damned expensive.

There are a lot of problems to voercome. If you would do something like this, you'de need ultra-HD screens of 3" spanwidth. That's not easy to make. You would need hardware four or five times more powerfull than the Xbox360 or PlayStation 3 and you need to cool these things too. Your body heat doesn't help. God I could say so much more, but I'm stopping here. Hopes this proves your silly little 'opinion' to be immensly wrong again, and you start noticing how annoying you're getting for never being serious...

If you worked aat just any Research And Development division - even if it was just at Mattel - you would have bein fired on the spot for saying such stupid things. Just like fifty years ago everybody thought there would be hovercars by now, we still have regular cars and wars everywhere. It doesn't evolve that quickly. Glasses are not a bad idea - don't get me wrong. But it isn't possible to see a sharp images coming from things two centimeters in front of your eyes. Just try seeing your finger sharp when you hold it at a centimeter from your eye. It hurts if you want to./ Our eyes are not made for this. That's why 3D cinemas don't have screens in teh glasses, but jsut glasses that make it 3D. That, and because it would be damned expensive.

There are a lot of problems to voercome. If you would do something like this, you'de need ultra-HD screens of 3" spanwidth. That's not easy to make. You would need hardware four or five times more powerfull than the Xbox360 or PlayStation 3 and you need to cool these things too. Your body heat doesn't help. God I could say so much more, but I'm stopping here. Hopes this proves your silly little 'opinion' to be immensly wrong again, and you start noticing how annoying you're getting for never being serious...

Generally I like to be proven wrong, as primarily my posts mostly relate to wrongdoings by Nintendo and I do want them to succeed after all.

In this case, I merely posted a random comment as part of a brainstorming session to encourage discussion and the exchanging of ideas, like this one I will make now. They have stereos built into clothes in Japan with fabrics buttons including play, rewind etc, what about a console? You have an LCD screen on the left or right cuff that can be interchanged depending on whether you're left or right handed. Washing machine safe as well, other than the LCD screen of course.

I had a random thought the other day about wireless electricity as well...

Some very good ideas there Jasper, with the actual 3D positioning of the Wiimote.

There's lot to improve with the Wii concept still:

Decent audio

No doubt the little speaker contributes to the games, but it quite simply sucks. The sounds coming from it are terrible. One desperate improvement we need, nay, require, is Dolby Digital. When Nintendo (hopefully) drops the Flipper design next generation, please give us a digital surround capable sound processor. DD is so much better than the surround emulation of Pro Logic II.

HD graphics

Even though Wii games still look good in most aspects, there's no denying that a powerful system with HD graphics would dramatically improve the experience. Zelda on 1080p with PS3 power would be mind blowing. Give us some power next time Nintendo?

New revolutions

As said, the actual 3D positioning of the Wiimote would improve the precision of the system massively. But there's more. Why would we need the 1 and 2 buttons if we could have a touch screen? Why not bring back analog buttons? Give us voice control with a microphone? Give the nunchuck pointer functionality?

Damn, can't wait for the next system already.

It's the accelerometers that notice you are moving the controller backwards. When you don't point at screen, the controller still knows where it started and what move you made, and duplicates that on screen in, say, baseball. So if you move baackwards, the accelerometers have notice of that, and not the Wii. But wait. There's something about triangulaar notion and 3D space.

If the sensor bar and optical sensor were used for just pointing the Wii remote at the screen, ask yourself this: why does the sensor bar emit two infra red lights when - for what you say is its only role - one would suffice?

When you move the Wii remote away from the sensor bar the optical camera sees the lights moving closer together, when you move it towards the screen it sees them moving further apart. That's how it accurately judges distance between the remote and the sensor bar, and is the 'triangulation' you mentioned. Not only that but I would imagine they are also used to accurately determine the roll angle at which you're holding the remote, when you roll the Wii remote clockwise it sees the lights rotate anticlockwise, and vice versa.

If the sensor bar and optical sensor were used for just pointing the Wii remote at the screen, ask yourself this: why does the sensor bar emit two infra red lights when - for what you say is its only role - one would suffice?

When you move the Wii remote away from the sensor bar the optical camera sees the lights moving closer together, when you move it towards the screen it sees them moving further apart. That's how it accurately judges distance between the remote and the sensor bar, and is the 'triangulation' you mentioned. Not only that but I would imagine they are also used to accurately determine the roll angle at which you're holding the remote, when you roll the Wii remote clockwise it sees the lights rotate anticlockwise, and vice versa.

actually, there are five on each side, and some are bended and twisted to make sure any direction will be fine. I doubt what you're saying, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm off doing som digging work and finding it out. i'll keep you posted (if I can find teh courage to keep searching).

EDIT:

"The known real-world dimensions of the spacing between the LEDs on the bar allows the Wii Remote to calculate its position in space relative to the bar."

there you have it. i've bein proven wrong. Though Wikipedia says 'citation needed' I intend to believe them. Indeed i do. Sorry for the trouble.

"Rotation (roll) of the Wii Remote around its major axis is sensed by these accelerometers used as tilt sensors relative to the constant force of gravity."

And here we were both kind of right. Sort of.

It's the accelerometers that notice you are moving the controller backwards. When you don't point at screen, the controller still knows where it started and what move you made, and duplicates that on screen in, say, baseball. So if you move baackwards, the accelerometers have notice of that, and not the Wii. But wait. There's something about triangulaar notion and 3D space.
That's not really true, it doesn't know where it started. If it knew that, it would've changed position in baseball if you'd make a step forward. What it registers is the movement that you make. Baseball doesn't seem use the pointer functionality to me.

That's a great post, Jasper.

I also would like to see things more refined. If it can be wireless, then good. But, don't risk the battery life, etc.

Was it Hellfire who said consoles went Revolution, Evolution, etc. If thats the case, then for Nintendo to be heading forwards, they need to evolve this product. Coming up with something completely different and abandoning what the Wii has started will just prove nothing.

They're saying the future is the 'feel' and immersion. If that is the future, then they really need to build around that.

ThatGuy: Nintendo are changing their focus to different types of people, but I don't think for one second that they're not going to make 'normal' games.

What is a normal game anyway?

Basically, old style games. As much as I love waving my hand about, I like having the option of playing a game with an old controller on the 360. Basically I'm glad to have the option of both consoles.

Saying that, there are things that can be done to advance this technology, improve the way it works etc. whereas, am I going to buy Xbox 3 which is near enough exactly the same? Is there a future for old style games?

Has Nintendo forced other companies to move on?

Nintendo Should by the rights to every great game ever created...

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy

and Implement the controller into them games...

I can see Nintendo beefing up the graphics yet keeping the Wii stuff alive

When are people actually going to understand that your replies actually should male sense? First of all, buying rights to every great game is gaining a Monopoly wich is, by law, forbidden. Okay, not straight away Monopoly, but still. In the end, they would have one and it's not allowed. Second, buying franchises like metal gear is useless. nintendo can't make them themselves. they'de had to buy Konami to make them, because Nintendo has no experience and would mess it up. Yes, Nintendo can mess up. It would also be stupid, as Nintendo never bought any franchise before. All of the major Nintendo-franchises are IP's developed inside Nintendo.

Second, it wouldn't make them aa popular company - at all. The reason why many don't like Microsoft is because Microsoft has the money to buy the best things, not develop them themselves. but they run off with all the glory in the end. A lot of people hate that about them.

So, if we post something, could we at least think twice before we post something completely useless that'll only annoy anyway..?

When are people actually going to understand that your replies actually should male sense? First of all, buying rights to every great game is gaining a Monopoly wich is, by law, forbidden. Okay, not straight away Monopoly, but still. In the end, they would have one and it's not allowed. Second, buying franchises like metal gear is useless. nintendo can't make them themselves. they'de had to buy Konami to make them, because Nintendo has no experience and would mess it up. Yes, Nintendo can mess up. It would also be stupid, as Nintendo never bought any franchise before. All of the major Nintendo-franchises are IP's developed inside Nintendo.

Second, it wouldn't make them aa popular company - at all. The reason why many don't like Microsoft is because Microsoft has the money to buy the best things, not develop them themselves. but they run off with all the glory in the end. A lot of people hate that about them.

So, if we post something, could we at least think twice before we post something completely useless that'll only annoy anyway..?

Right I'm not being funny but I've posted a few threads and a few replies in a short space of time because I have something to add to them discussions...

During that time you have somehow felt the need to criticise my opinions and have a go at how many posts I am posting in this forum...

Now if you haven't got anything nice to say to me or my replies or aren't willing to make a sensible argument with me, then stop bothering me..

Anyway back on topic, Nintendo need to try and get some of the legendary games in their catalogue I don't mean every game but when you think of all the games that would best be suited to a Nintendo Console you have the FF series and the incredible MGS I don't think they will but I hope they do I mean they did it with the Twin Snakes, hopefully MGS 2, 3 can be remade for the Wii.

Right I'm not being funny but I've posted a few threads and a few replies in a short space of time because I have something to add to them discussions...

During that time you have somehow felt the need to criticise my opinions and have a go at how many posts I am posting in this forum...

Now if you haven't got anything nice to say to me or my replies or aren't willing to make a sensible argument with me, then stop bothering me..

Anyway back on topic, Nintendo need to try and get some of the legendary games in their catalogue I don't mean every game but when you think of all the games that would best be suited to a Nintendo Console you have the FF series and the incredible MGS I don't think they will but I hope they do I mean they did it with the Twin Snakes, hopefully MGS 2, 3 can be remade for the Wii.

I'm not playing Iraq-Attack on you, dude. it wasn't you alone. Some people just post an immensly stupid thing without thinking. Saying 'Make it Ultra-HD with 18 processors and twenty-one buttons!' is stupid and it won't be done, people should know that. I'm sorry if I look like attacking you, but I'm not. I like your idea for major franchises, but not by buying them. Buying franchises always results into them losing soul.

Im burnt out on all these current and new consoles that are strong in one or two areas and fail in others.

So i want a machine that has:

-Nintendo's input devices and quality control

-Sony's power and storage

-Microsofts online service

-the ability to play any new game

So heres what i want

Something went missing here, I guess. But that's what i first thought too: get the then-called-Revolution on the same line as PS3 and X360 and then add the extra functionality and revolution to pop above the rest. Opinion has changed right now - I do'nt have an HD telly anyway.

I'm not playing Iraq-Attack on you, dude. it wasn't you alone. Some people just post an immensly stupid thing without thinking. Saying 'Make it Ultra-HD with 18 processors and twenty-one buttons!' is stupid and it won't be done, people should know that. I'm sorry if I look like attacking you, but I'm not. I like your idea for major franchises, but not by buying them. Buying franchises always results into them losing soul.

The majority of them are joking.

I think next they should release something innovative that DOESN'T require some kind of frikkin' sensor bar.

Super Scope - Sensor Box

Power Glove - 3 sensors on your tv

Wii - Sensor bar.

perhaps put an actual mic into the remote.A nunchuck that is wireless.An even smaller console.

How can they make it any smaller? The size of the media used will dictate the size, and if Nintendo are going HD with Wii2 then I presume it will be eithe Blu-Ray, HD DVD or Total HD discs. All are CD sized, so the size of the console will remain similar, if not bigger due to cooling etc.

Stereoscopic 3D/visor.

Definately.

Can I ask...what is stereoscopic 3D?

Can I ask...what is stereoscopic 3D?

It's like Nintendo ON. Goggles with on both eyes a screen that will, if used correctly, give you a real 3D effect. As I said before, it won't happen because of the difficulties concerning your eyes. It's 2D in setreo, to create 3D.

I think just perfecting the technology they have now with the added bonus of proper next-gen capabilities like Blueray/HD etc...

Wii-remote to have microphone (surprised there isn't one now!) and better motion sensing blah blah...

Forget goggles or anything like that, they want to appeal to the mum and dad's of this world, not just the younger generation.

I think just perfecting the technology they have now with the added bonus of proper next-gen capabilities like Blueray/HD etc...

Wii-remote to have microphone (surprised there isn't one now!) and better motion sensing blah blah...

Forget goggles or anything like that, they want to appeal to the mum and dad's of this world, not just the younger generation.

Now, honestly, what use did the microphone have on DS? I don't really see why you would want it... But that's your opinion. I think they will go for HD-DVD (if they moveon to those formats) - simply because there is not a chance in the world Sony would license it to Nintendo. I know, it's not only Sony, but it's majorly Sony.

Well I suppose there isn't much point to a microphone. I guess it was just a throw-away line of mine, since the DS has one, put one in the Wii remote! Ah yes, forgot Blueray was a Sony format.

Now, honestly, what use did the microphone have on DS? I don't really see why you would want it...

I'd have liked it. But unlike the DS, I would like developers to make more use of it - particularly in the area of voice recognition.

Sign in to follow this