NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dyson

What can they do next?

A Megaton toaster powered by cold fusion technology and orange juice that uses visors and holographic 3D graphics.

Isn't it obvious?

Must...not...stare...at...sig...

There's not really any problems to deal with though... what would they do to it?

And I don't have a problem with the sensor bar, it took about 20 seconds to set up, and I don't have to do anything with it now.

Like I said, a wireless nunchuk would be welcome. Nobody can deny that.

Setting the sensor bar up isn't a problem. But it's yet another device and another wire to clutter your setup with. My setup consists of several consoles and other electrical equipment, it's messy and the wires connecting everything is like spaghetti! :laughing:

If they find a [cheap] means of doing away with it, it'll be gone.

If you don't mind the clutter though, and the possible necessity in drastrically rearranging your room, how's about four sensor bars surrounding you and some form of wide angled camera or multiple cameras added to the tip of the remote for pointer accuracy when it's not aimed at the screen? This may make possible, for example, Link imitating your exact movements whilst fighting with the sword.

It's not going to happen, and I for one wouldn't want that kind of set up, but it's a nice thought for those who do I'm sure. :)

Like I said, a wireless nunchuk would be welcome. Nobody can deny that.

Setting the sensor bar up isn't a problem. But it's yet another device and another wire to clutter your setup with. My setup consists of several consoles and other electrical equipment, it's messy and the wires connecting everything is like spaghetti! :laughing:

You're not alone, but I don't have to go behind the TV much anyway.

If you don't mind the clutter though, and the possible necessity in drastrically rearranging your room, how's about four sensor bars surrounding you and some form of wide angled camera or multiple cameras added to the tip of the remote for pointer accuracy when it's not aimed at the screen? This may make possible, for example, Link imitating your exact movements whilst fighting with the sword.

They can do that with the tilt sensor...

No they can't. The accelerometer isn't accurate enough. If it was, you wouldn't need the sensor bar.

Tilt sensor. It's done with the basball bat in wii sports and the sword in red steel. They have a tilt sensor in it too.

I was hoping it'd be able to detect where it was in 3D space, in regards to it's neutral/normal/starting position, in your hand. Of course you'd have to calibrate it everytime you wanted to play but it'd be alot easier than the pointer.

Maybe they can look into that.

Tilt sensor. It's done with the basball bat in wii sports and the sword in red steel. They have a tilt sensor in it too.

The Wii remote has accelerometers to measure tilt.

The Wii remote has accelerometers to measure tilt.

Then how does it tell what way you're holding the remote when you aren't moving it?

What we have now hasn't even been proved a success yet, so next gen could go anyway.

I hope Xbox at least sticks with normal games. I like the Wii and it's good to have something different but I don't want everything to change.

Then how does it tell what way you're holding the remote when you aren't moving it?

That would be the accelerometers. :) They're used for more than just measuring movement. For reference to where exactly the screen and Wii remote are in relation to each other, or in the surround sensor scenario I described in a previous post, you need sensor bars. Hence, why I said the accelerometer isn't accurate enough.

I posted this in the Power consumption thread, but this seems more appropriate.

It's a nifty little device and the good thing about this low power consumption (and graphics) is that Nintendo might be able to go in the next-generation next time with noticeable changes. Going HD for the first time will make the next Wii even more attractive, and by then, the processors will have better cooling and the RAM will be cheaper. And the next-gen disc format war might be fought out by then and Nintendo will finally be able to do everything PS3 and X360 can, only better. What jump can the PS3 and X360 still make? Not really much, since Ultra HD sickens people looking at it, seing how realistic it appears to many.

Good move, Nintendo, as next generation you still have an extra leap plus you previous generation advantage. Genuine thinking, there.

Not in the other post: Wireless everything would be great, but it would also mean something. First off all, the sensor bar can't do without energy (though it would last about a hundred hours with one single battery), but again, you need to have batteries, and even though they're not exspensive, it also means an on/off button and you actually have to put it on or off, or the battery will deplete in no time.

Wireless nunchuks would be great - it would be great if every controller had wireless build in, with no need to drain the Wiimote's batteries. Again, you need batteries. I would have loved it if Nintendo made it possible to reload your batteries with a loader. I think they will announce it somewhere in Wii's lifecycle: A wiimote with built-in battery. I'm pretty sure they will. But the current one can't even support reloading an internal battery via the extension port. A hardware change could do this and it would be great. I'm sure it's coming.

The Wiimote is actually able to see where you are in the 3D space by it's accelerometers. It can tell where you are viewing from the point where you started. It doesn't know you're two meters away of your Wii, but it does know you have moved from position A (x1, y1) to position B (x2, y2). The sensor bar is only need to point at the screen. That's why placing the sensor bar behind you won't work to aim for your telly. There's no other use for the sensor bar than to make you able to point at the screen - it only makes pointing possible. It only works if you aim at the screen, and that's why Wii sports could also be easely made on PlayStation 3. Ony that controller doesn't feel good for it, though. There's nothing really revolutionairy in Wii sports.

That's a great post, Jasper.

I also would like to see things more refined. If it can be wireless, then good. But, don't risk the battery life, etc.

Was it Hellfire who said consoles went Revolution, Evolution, etc. If thats the case, then for Nintendo to be heading forwards, they need to evolve this product. Coming up with something completely different and abandoning what the Wii has started will just prove nothing.

They're saying the future is the 'feel' and immersion. If that is the future, then they really need to build around that.

ThatGuy: Nintendo are changing their focus to different types of people, but I don't think for one second that they're not going to make 'normal' games.

What is a normal game anyway?

what about basic vr

well hopefully the next nintendo console isn't the virtualboy color (or advance)

Nintendo/Microsoft merger to totally destory Sonys stronghold in the market?

Revolution720. An absolute beast of a system, making PS3 look like a NES in comparison.

CPU: ATI PROCESSOR [Quadruple the power of PS3s Cell chip]

PowerPC-base Core @10GHZ

Full HD(up to 2160p)

Sound: Dolby 10.1ch.

All disc formats, unparalled external hardware compability, customisation to the point of being ejaculation material, the only flaw of this system will be that its too good and thus be extremely expensive.

The sensor bar is only need to point at the screen. That's why placing the sensor bar behind you won't work to aim for your telly. There's no other use for the sensor bar than to make you able to point at the screen - it only makes pointing possible.

Not quite. The sensor bar and optical sensor are needed to judge distance between the screen and the Wii remote, the sensor bar providing a real world reference point. The accelerometers can't do that.

It assumes that where you've placed the sensor bar is where the screen is situated, but in the scenario I described more than one could be used for more real world reference points that surround the player.

nintendo do this.

innovate then improve i.e

nes = innovate

snes = impove

n64 = innovate

gc=improve

wii=innovate

so the next console will just be an impovement as i see it.

The Wii is also GC hardware upgraded, though. It's both. Next-gen could go either way.

That would be the accelerometers. :) They're used for more than just measuring movement. For reference to where exactly the screen and Wii remote are in relation to each other, or in the surround sensor scenario I described in a previous post, you need sensor bars. Hence, why I said the accelerometer isn't accurate enough.

But in the case of the baseball bat, you aren't moving.

The Wii is also GC hardware upgraded, though. It's both. Next-gen could go either way.

Then you could say the same about the n64. It primarily innovates.

But in the case of the baseball bat, you aren't moving.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean or how that relates to what you quoted, but you're moving when you swing the remote to make the bat hit the ball.

- Better graphics

- A more sensitive remote, with more ways to "feel", and improved design

- Wireless nunchuck

- Retro-compatibility with previous remotes.

CPU: ATI PROCESSOR [Quadruple the power of PS3s Cell chip]

ATI makes GPUs not CPUS. Though To be honest there are times that i had the thought in my mind. Imagine Microsoft buying Nintendo. If Nintendo Can deliver a game so good as TP on GC hardware imagine, just take a minute and imagine, what Nintendo's studios would be capable of doing with Microsoft's beast. And we have to admit with the 360 MS lets the studios free to do what they want.

HD graphics

Microphone

In-Built camera to further motion control and acts like a webcam for games

Ability to make your own games using the remote or whatever spectacular revolutionary concept they come up with

Not quite. The sensor bar and optical sensor are needed to judge distance between the screen and the Wii remote, the sensor bar providing a real world reference point. The accelerometers can't do that.

It assumes that where you've placed the sensor bar is where the screen is situated, but in the scenario I described more than one could be used for more real world reference points that surround the player.

It's the accelerometers that notice you are moving the controller backwards. When you don't point at screen, the controller still knows where it started and what move you made, and duplicates that on screen in, say, baseball. So if you move baackwards, the accelerometers have notice of that, and not the Wii. But wait. There's something about triangulaar notion and 3D space.

I'm shutting up.

Every is talking about a wireless nunchuk: why? I don't see the problem with the nunchuk's wire, it's stable aand it's long enough. I also think that the nunchuk has perfect weight, with batteries, it would be more tiresome for your hands. i'm not pointing at the screeen al the time in Zelda, because the Wiimote is a little too heavy to use as a pointer when not necessary. Duno how it feels to play Red Steel, though.

About Nintendo merging into Microsoft: that won't happen. It's a good idea, but I'll throw it off the table anyway. Nintendo still makes profits on it's hardware and games, Microsoft doesn't. And let's not forget: Nintendo makes handhelds and Microsoft doesn't, so chances of bye-bye DS are possible with an acquisition of Nintendo by Microsoft. Nintendo would be free to do what they want on Xbox360, though.

And i'm sure Nintendo's next move will be HD. No doubt about that. Don't forget that Wii is a little powerfull Xbox. So they can deliver a just-as-mighty console next time around. And by then, they might have realised that watching movies and playing music is something people like to do with their consoles. The cheecky little bastards forgot to put that in Wii. They can still add it (and god, I hope they do in a firmware update), because for some consumers it's a major letdown.

Maybe we should ask what will happen when Sony and Microsoft duplicates the Wiimote and nunchuk.

If that happens, and I state if, Nintendo is probably an undefeated winner for the next generation. If the PS3 will still be more popular this generation, don't expect them to prop up with something like that in the next. Also, Microsoft has stated that motion-sensing doesn't workk ("We've tried it, in 1995") and Sony, ah well, they've sticked to their well-known controller for years and are known by it. I've seen a mock-up of Sony's controller-remote and it looked ugly. It was black and had the ugly Sont-type buttons. I think if they copy it, Nintendo is in for a clear victory for at least one generation. Don't forget they pulled it off and already have the grips with it. I don't expect Sony nor Microsoft being able to catch up on that revolution anytime soon. And they would probably mess it up anyway, wanting to give to many features away and seating to much buttons up front and back, adding a secundairy A-button, a B2 on the back, a 1, 2, 3 and 4 and they'de probably combine + and - with : and 'x'.

Sign in to follow this