N-Europe

So whats all the fun and games with 8.8 Great?

dannbrownn

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but Red Steel isn't Zelda. Zelda will sell to the Nintendo people no matter what it scored. :D But serious, a 8.8 isn't enough to turn people away from a game anyway. If you're some guy who only buys 9.0+ games, then you are silly.
We can't all have games collections like yours Dom :indeed: - bearing in mind most games cost £30-50, I can't really afford to get games that don't score highly. The occasional exception would be SSX World Tour, because I liked SSX3, SA2 because I loved Sonic and wanted another GC launch game, PSO because I liked the concept... that's about it for a while.

People have used examples of badly rated games and how it put them off, for me it's more likely to be the other way around. If I see a game get over 9.5 somewhere like ign, chances are I'll consider it. Example: Resident Evil 4. I wasn't a big fan of the RE series and I hadn't been following the game at all - I had no idea how it looked, how it played, what it was about... but when I saw it getting scores like 9.8 I picked it up because I knew it would be good.

Zelda deserves a score that could do the same thing if you didn't already know about the series.

We can't all have games collections like yours Dom :indeed: - bearing in mind most games cost £30-50, I can't really afford to get games that don't score highly. The occasional exception would be SSX World Tour, because I liked SSX3, SA2 because I loved Sonic and wanted another GC launch game, PSO because I liked the concept... that's about it for a while.

People have used examples of badly rated games and how it put them off, for me it's more likely to be the other way around. If I see a game get over 9.5 somewhere like ign, chances are I'll consider it. Example: Resident Evil 4. I wasn't a big fan of the RE series and I hadn't been following the game at all - I had no idea how it looked, how it played, what it was about... but when I saw it getting scores like 9.8 I picked it up because I knew it would be good.

Zelda deserves a score that could do the same thing if you didn't already know about the series.

Bang on the money. I own no Res games apart from Res 4 which I brought on the strengh of reviews. If its a game that I know nothing about first hand (Red Steel is a new franchise) reviews are going to be damn important.

And some people might not know about Zelda to. Who am I kidding! Still 8.8 = attention whore.

I like Double Dash myself, but I agree that it's the worst MK - of those I've played that is. I've yet to play Mario Kart 64, just waiting for it to appear on the Virtual Console. :)

Only get MK64 if you have 3 friends to regually play it with you.

Double Dash was a good idea, but poorly executed. I didn't enjoy it, but I think 7.9 is generous on Matt's behalf- EDGE's score is better, if not a little harsh. At least they tried something new with the series.

On another thread related note I think Zelda deserved the 9s it got, and I also think all the 10/10s were generous. 8.8 isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

For me it is a 9/10 game- which is 0.2 away from GameSpot's score.. and 1.0 away from 1up's.

Maybe 1up rounded up from say 9.5 (perfectly reasonable score also)- maybe they were looking for hits- but it's not a 10.0 game.

Solely because there is not enough story- even though the story is good and very cinematic, as other people have noted it can dump you in another dungeon as soon as you get out of the first.

Where is the history?

Its quality not quantity, and the variety in TP is its epicness.

True enough, it's a huge world- I've just beat the lake Hylia boss and the world is beautiful- Nintendo have an awesome engine set for the next Zelda should they want to use it.

I think the comments that this Zelda has done nothing new in terms of gameplay are invalid, because the whole Twilight realm thing is awesome- as well as other items and the fundamental feature- playing with the Wiimote.

It would have felt more complete if we had all the history that was in Ocarina and a Link to the Past. I haven't played either of these yet- but both the titles suggest that history play a significant role.

Maybe they just wanted to distinguish it from the others a little more? I can't complain- I'm still relishing and trying to ration every bit of gameplay.

I think the comments that this Zelda has done nothing new in terms of gameplay are invalid, because the whole Twilight realm thing is awesome- as well as other items and the fundamental feature- playing with the Wiimote.

It would have felt more complete if we had all the history that was in Ocarina and a Link to the Past. I haven't played either of these yet- but both the titles suggest that history play a significant role.

That could be why you think the comments are invalid. I've not played those games either, but from what I've read, elements similar to the Twilight Realm in the latest game can be found in those older Zelda games - and done to better effect in A Link To The Past, apparently.

That could be why you think the comments are invalid. I've not played those games either, but from what I've read, elements similar to the Twilight Realm in the latest game can be found in those older Zelda games - and done to better effect in A Link To The Past, apparently.

kinda right. i don't believe in the whole one story thing, or that any of them are linked properly just very very loosely thats why its a legend etc etc.

you should all go play LTTP or else you deserve to be shot!

Without the score I agree with everything the review says. But for me, the flaws he lists are not enough to drag the game down by 1.2/10.

I'm loving this game so far, and I can't stand OOT. It really bores me to tears.

I just think that if you sat down and watched that review and nobody told you the score, you wouldn't have any issue with it, and thats the gripe many people have I think.

Without the score I agree with everything the review says. But for me, the flaws he lists are not enough to drag the game down by 1.2/10.

I'm loving this game so far, and I can't stand OOT. It really bores me to tears.

I just think that if you sat down and watched that review and nobody told you the score, you wouldn't have any issue with it, and thats the gripe many people have I think.

exactly, the written and video review didn't match up to the score that was given.

What I find funny is that the negative aspects of the game he lists I disagree with, yet I think he's missed a hell of a lot more wrong with the game if that makes sense.

If you get bored that easy, I wouldn't be looking forward to the second part of TP if I were you.

Only get MK64 if you have 3 friends to regually play it with you.

I beg to differ, the single player cup modes tend to get pretty damn challenging later on! Of course, the single player is about 5% of the goodness and fun and giggles that is Multiplayer. Man, that game's multiplayer is classic. I changed my mind, don't get it unless you have at least one person to regularly play multiplayer with you.

Back to the original point of 8.8 great!(I had a dream about a can of beer with 8.8 units), because of this review, I actually found myself spending the first 3 dungeons and in between constantly thinking 'Is this better than OoT? Would OoT have done that? Hmm, but OoT had that too...' sort of thing, I couldn't help but spend my time comparing the two. Eventually I realised I was being silly and learned to appreciate the game for what it was. Whilst it isn't as 'Zelda' as other zeldas for me, it is one top notch game, seriously. Awesome, but I did feel there wasn't enough 'Zelda' in it, seemed a bit generic to me than others.