NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
the_mars_volta

Albums of the year!

It annoys me that everyone else has said most of what i have in my top five.

1. Brigade - Lights

2. Eagles of Death Metal - Death by sexy

3. Futureheads - News and Tributes

4. Cartel - Chroma

5. Howling Bells - Howling Bells

6. Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/lovesounds

7. Men Women and Children - Self Titled

8. The Rapture - Pieces of the people we love

9. Test Icicles - For screening purposes only

10. The Young Knives - Voices of Animals and men

Special mention goes to the Inflames album. Me and my bessy mate were cruising in his new Micra (just passed his driving test) and we went into HMV and went to the metal album to buy the CD with the most derranged and sick cover art immaginable. And for people who have seen it i reckon you will agree with me when i say i think i picked the best one.

We planned to drive through Saville Town with it blaring out of the shitey Tinny speakers (saviile town being an area of my town populated by begrudging asian people)

Needless to say it was hilarious and we got quite a few funny looks.:wink:

1. The Beatles - Love

2. Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah

3. Wolfmother - Wolfmother

4. Thom Yorke - The Eraser

5. Stuart A. Staples - Leaving Songs

6. J Dilla - Donuts

7. David Gilmour - On An Island

8. The Beauty Room - The Beauty Room

9. Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere

Some good choices in there, guys. But you've also missed out on a few truly good 'uns.

1. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

2. Kasabian - Empire

3. Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah!

4. Magic Numbers - Those the Brokes [Or whatever the silly phrasing they used is]

5. The Postal Service - Both albums; as I've only discovered them this year :P

Man, I didn't realise yous guys had such rubs taste in music. I knew Platty did, but he luffs the subways, so it's to be expected.

Other than a couple of people who liked The Knife and Sonic Youth, you all be rubs. Read more than the NME (or Q) and watch more than Scuzz, Kerrang or MTV2, you might learn how to be like me, then the world would be free of disease.

Dudes, yo' idium is rubs.

Peace.

EDIT: Okay, some dude liked The Rapture too, but other than that, refer to teh above post.

Man, I didn't realise yous guys had such rubs taste in music. I knew Platty did, but he luffs the subways, so it's to be expected.

Other than a couple of people who liked The Knife and Sonic Youth, you all be rubs. Read more than the NME (or Q) and watch more than Scuzz, Kerrang or MTV2, you might learn how to be like me, then the world would be free of disease.

Peace.

EDIT: Okay, some dude liked The Rapture too, but other than that, refer to teh above post.

What's all this "rubs" business?

I'm not down with the youth of today, it seems.

For me 2006 has been a very duissapointing year. My 2 favourite bands both realeased albums this year, Mastodon and The Mars Volta, and both failed to live up to expectations. They are good albums, just not a patch on the 2 that go before.

Mastodon were supporting Tool when I went to see them!

The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia...

White Rose Movement - Kick

Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah

Mates of State - Bring It Back

Juliette and the Licks - Four on the Floor

Tiga - Sexor

AFI - Decomberunderground

We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor

Muse - Black Holes and Revalations

Joan as Policewoman - Real Life

great as the album is, With Love and Squalor was released 2005, so what ever youi removed due to not being bale to count can go back in the list!

I thought come clarity was great.

Reroute to Remain had about 2 good songs on it...Trigger, Metaphor and Soundtrack only had one half decent one, My Sweet Shadow. CC is an enormous improvement, every song on that album is great, but it's still not up to their old standard, like on Whoracle or The Jester Race/ Black Ash Inheritance...

You know... I agree with you on Soundtrack, but as for CC... the first three times I heard the album, there were songs I loved.. but that's just it, they satisfy too early, and after a week I had nausea everytime I heard "Take this life"... The album was boring, repetitive, and predictable... and of course, Jester Race was their Opus Magnum, but I stil consider Colony and Reroute To Remain to be their best efforts, excluding Jester Race... come on, how can you say Reroute To Remain was a week effort? System? Dawn Of A New Day? Dismiss The Cynics? Dark Signs? None of those were good songs to you? Only Trigger and Metaphor (wich are grear songs, I must agree) got you smiling?:hmm:

"From green to red our days pass by, waiting for a sign to tell us why... are we dancing all alone?"

There's a new prog band called Pure Reason Revolution, their album The Dark Third is my fave this year.

Other than that...I loved Delays (You See Colours), Hope of the States (Left) and Audioslave (Revelations).

Hmm. Black Holes and Revelations. Well. Not a bad album but Invincible and Exo-Politics removes the "classic album" status. Origin remains their greatest IMO.

You know... I agree with you on Soundtrack, but as for CC... the first three times I heard the album, there were songs I loved.. but that's just it, they satisfy too early, and after a week I had nausea everytime I heard "Take this life"... The album was boring, repetitive, and predictable... and of course, Jester Race was their Opus Magnum, but I stil consider Colony and Reroute To Remain to be their best efforts, excluding Jester Race... come on, how can you say Reroute To Remain was a week effort? System? Dawn Of A New Day? Dismiss The Cynics? Dark Signs? None of those were good songs to you? Only Trigger and Metaphor (wich are grear songs, I must agree) got you smiling?:hmm:

"From green to red our days pass by, waiting for a sign to tell us why... are we dancing all alone?"

Dude, I think I love you :heh:

Agree there totally, It was a great album, but there wasn't all that much depth, Take This Life and Crawl Through Knives are the only songs that I still listen to. Still, I loved it for a while...

Metalphor is absolutely beautiful...

Yeah, I guess some of the songs on Reroute were good, but those two were particularly endearing...

Colony...oh man, not heard that album for so long...

I still think Whoracle is the best though...lol...followed by Jester Race and Colony...

I don't know what to think about Clayman...my favourite song from that was Swim...

Hmm. Black Holes and Revelations. Well. Not a bad album but Invincible and Exo-Politics removes the "classic album" status. Origin remains their greatest IMO.

I was sure with a name like Problematique you'd say Muse :hehe:

However I'm gonna disagree with you and say that Invincible is the best song on the album... and that although Exo-Politics got on my wick for months, when I saw them do it live, I enjoyed it and like it better now. Still, its a low point on the album lol. Its a tough album to judge though, cos its so new and different from even anything Muse themselves had done before.

What else do you think of the album as a whole?!

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open is without a doubt my favourite of the year. I love so many of the songs on the album, and yet the music is so varied.

And although they didn't come out this year, Dabookerman got me into j-rock group l'arc en ciel and now they're possibly my favourite group full stop. The two albums I have (off the internet) are Awake and Smile

I haven't bought that many albums this year. However, 2 albums which have really defined my year have been:

YeahYeahYeahs- Show Your Bones.

The Raconteurs- Broken Boy Soldiers.

Turn Into off the show your bones album is my song of the year, with Mysteries off the same album coming in second.

Other mentions go to:

The Flaming Lips- At War with the mystics

Muse- Black Holes and Revelations

The Futureheads- news and tributes

I mostly spend my time listening to older bands anyway. Joy Division and Interpol have my attention at the moment.

Invincible is the best song on the album

Invincible was the worst song on the album in my opinion. I thought it sounded like they were trying too hard to write a cigarette-lighter song. Kinda reminded me of Shine...

Got no beef with exo-politics though, thought that was alright.

I also seem to be the only person who doesn't like Assassin...

Twas still an alright album by most standards, just not Muse's in my opinion.

I was sure with a name like Problematique you'd say Muse :hehe:

However I'm gonna disagree with you and say that Invincible is the best song on the album... and that although Exo-Politics got on my wick for months, when I saw them do it live, I enjoyed it and like it better now. Still, its a low point on the album lol. Its a tough album to judge though, cos its so new and different from even anything Muse themselves had done before.

What else do you think of the album as a whole?!

Hmm. I think Invincible is a bit marmite. Matt regards it as the heart of the album, Tom Morello loves it but there are a lot of us who think "meh". I mean...I love the tapping solo but it just sounds like Shine with cheesy lyrics. Eh. And slightly more annoying generally. Haha.

Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo and City of Delusion I find really inspirational. The rest of the album is great if not stellar (some great tracks...but not classics). Assassin for example is a bit disappointing on the album but comes out nicely live (I wish they'd used the 2005 Debase intro though. Sounded better).

Ramblage. It's hard to place. I think...it's not very cohesive as an album in general which would force me to place it as my least favourite Muse album. Plus I miss the rough fuzziness of OoS...Costey has taken it out of the studio. He did the same thing with Rage really...it just sounds much cleaner. Ah well. Didn't stop me from seeing them 5 times this year :p (Shepherd's Bush, Manc - SHOWBIZ!, Wembley twice and Lyon) because I really do love them.

Peace.

Lets all bow down to the 'hardcore' music fan here :bowdown: Give him a pat on the back people!

What's wrong with sourcing music from a lot of places? Why cant people only like bands they read about in NME? The have to hear about them from somewhere...

Hmm. I think Invincible is a bit marmite. Matt regards it as the heart of the album, Tom Morello loves it but there are a lot of us who think "meh". I mean...I love the tapping solo but it just sounds like Shine with cheesy lyrics. Eh. And slightly more annoying generally. Haha.[/Quote]

I love Invincible. It's definitely a lighter song, but it's amazing to see so many people singing along to this at gigs.

"together we're in-VINCE-able!"

Along with the fist in the air action.

just realsied the glaring ommission from my list, for soemreason I thought it was released last year, 65daysofstatic - One Time for All Time

that band is my christmas present to you all. listen and love!

I didnt realise that Invincible had such a love it or hate it thing to it. On my first two or three listen throughs of the album, Id picked it as the point the album builds up towards... then tails off from. I think its definately the heart of this album, as you said Matt already put it.

The album has alot of good points, I mean, I personally listen to Muse cos I think theyre different and are pushing the boundries. This album ticks the right boxes as far as taking themselves forward goes... just, the thing that annoys me the most is... where have all the guitar solo's gone?? :cry:

I don't know what to think about Clayman...my favourite song from that was Swim...

Clayman... the crowd divider. I don't hate, but I don't love it. It's... average. I hate Pinball Map. :horse:

As far as all of their albums go... this is my order of preference:

1 - The Jester Race

2 - Colony

3 - Reroute To Remain

4 - Whoracle

5 - Lunar Strain / Black Ash Inheritance (these two are tied, IMO)

6 - Clayman

7 - Come Clarity

8 - Soundtrack To Your Escape (damn, I hate this album...)

These are albums that I have enjoyed most this year, not necessarily albums that will become classics (as my taste does suck at times). And in no particular order;

1. The Perishers - Let There Be Morning

(If not for the song 'Sway' alone, but theres some great moody songs on there. 'Weekends', 'Still Here' and 'Pills')

2. Panic! at the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out

(Compared to the last, a lively fun album but with some weird and interesting lyrics)

3. Scissor Sisters - Tad-Dah!

(Again, makes me want to dance)

4. The Format - Dog Problems

(Weird, kooky stuff but with lyrics that need listening. "Open arms are prison cells. When I said, "I hate what I've become" I lied, I hated who I was." Especially good for anyone who has gone through a breakup.)

5. McFly - Motion in the Ocean

(Yeah yeah they're crap, but they're fun and stupid at times. "Theres no love left on Earth to save us, but I found love with Uranus". Always makes me immaturely chuckle)

6. Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

(A beautiful album that just demands re-listening)

7. The Kooks - Inside In, Inside Out

(A great indie rock album that was only let down by Jackie Big Tits - I mean honestly, was there a point?)

8. Veronica Mars OST

(Allows me to have bands such as Spoon, Tegan & Sara and Mike Doughty who released songs before 2006. So im cheating basically. Plus Cotton Mather's beautiful "Lily Dreams On")

I can't think of another two right now.

OK here goes...

1) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

This is without doubt my album of the year. Say what you want about them being over-hyped and stuff, but I was addicted - ADDICTED - to this album at the start of the year. Even now I get a surge of energy and an overwhelming desire to sing along. One of my favourite gigs ever was when they played the Academy in Manchester in February. It was the first time I saw them and I went into work the next day sounding like Marge Simpson.

Standout songs: Dancing Shoes, A Certain Romance, From The Ritz To The Rubble, When The Sun Goes Down

2) Hot Chip - The Warning

I'm a bit impartial to a bit of bleepy-funky electro music every now and again, and this album fills that type of music perfectly. Every song on here is worth a tapped foot and songs like Over And Over make you just wanna jump about like a loon.

Standout songs: Over & Over, A Boy From School, The Warning

3) Thom Yorke - The Eraser

At first listen, I didn't this too much of this album. Even the massive Radiohead fan I am couldn't grasp it. But, like all Radiohead albums, the genius behind each album comes through repeated listens. I love the way this album's quite poppy in places, but also has that dark tone to it. This has definitely kept my mind off wanting a new Radiohead album for another year anyway!

Standout songs: Analyse, And It Rained All Night, Skip Divided, Black Swan

4) The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics

Another album that takes a few listens. But again, totally worth it. One thing that should be stamped on all Flaming Lips albums is a 'Guaranteed To Make You So Fecking Happy' label. I saw them live twice this year, both times just being the most uplifting, involving gigs I've ever been to. Superb.

Standout songs: The W.A.N.D., The Sound Of Failure, It Overtakes Me

(I'll edit this post later with the rest of my 10. :P)

Placebo - Meds

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

The Scissor Sisters and Gwen dissappointed me.

Sign in to follow this