Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Apple's iPhone

conzer16

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I sound apple-fan, I worked with Windows for seven years and then switched to mac. It was a true relief. Finally, programs working like they should. Windows never pulled that one off, with shutting Photoshop down everytime again...

We'll forgive you :p

Although did you see Microsoft demo-ing Vista at the CES the other night?

Can't wait to get it! (very OS like)

I think the only reason why I'd think twice about picking up one of these is to do with the memory...

Come on apple, 8 gig max? My itunes library is way bigger than that with just music, never mind videos and the like.

just seen a video of the thing in action on the bbc news site and it just looks utterly awesome.

Not that its a good product or anything.

Not really, its been done before and that touch screen from what i can tell will end up being finger print hell. Theres a reason the DS and most other touch screens use a stylus...

Having watched the videos on the Apple site I think this will almost definately be my next phone. At first I wasn't so sure but seeing how easy all of this stuff is and the fact I'd probably use a fair amount of it I think its worth spending the extra money on.

I'd buy an iPod with the iPod functions this has and as the memory isn't really an issue for me I may as well replace both my iPod and my current phone with an iPhone.

Only 8gig memory?

Its a phone its not a dedicated MP3 player.

Agreed, its not supposed to be a hdd, do you people even have 8 GB of music?! And even if you do, its not supposed to have it all in you mp3 player.

Not really, its been done before and that touch screen from what i can tell will end up being finger print hell. Theres a reason the DS and most other touch screens use a stylus...

Thats not even the point but apparently it has a "Smudgefree" Lens Coating (which would actually be the most innovative part of it) .

You can quote me on this if i'm wrong in the future, but apart from Apple fanboys i see very few people being interested about this.

Waaaay too high of a price point and apart from the stylings and the fact Apple is plastered on it its no different from many other current smartphones.

Hell, even the SE P900 could do 90% of this stuff 4 years ago.

You can quote me on this if i'm wrong in the future, but apart from Apple fanboys i see very few people being interested about this.

I guess I'm one of them.

Waaaay too high of a price point and apart from the stylings and the fact Apple is plastered on it its no different from many other current smartphones.

If you can find me a PDA with wireless, a good screen, a 2.0 megapixel camera, comes with 4 GB and at a significantly less price than this, I'll shut up.

Agreed, its not supposed to be a hdd, do you people even have 8 GB of music?! And even if you do, its not supposed to have it all in you mp3 player.

i have just over 15GB of just music on my iPod atm and if i was to buy this phone i would want it to totally replace my iPod especially at the price they're asking.

i'll wait for iPhone second gen, then the price may be justified, but i really fucking want one none the less.

i'm very interested because its running OS X and its very stable-unlike my nokia- and its damn sexy and genuinely user friendly. the only apple product i have is an iPod that i bought in november cos my other mp3 player died and i'm interested in this peice of sex!!

I have to admit, I think this is a pretty good product. One thing that confuses me is how exactly do you go about texting? How does this multi-tuch thing work?

From one of the pictures, it looks like you have one finger on the screen to activiate the screen, and then use another finger to do something.

I have to admit, I think this is a pretty good product. One thing that confuses me is how exactly do you go about texting? How does this multi-tuch thing work?

From one of the pictures, it looks like you have one finger on the screen to activiate the screen, and then use another finger to do something.

I thought they were just demonstrating that you can touch more than one point at once, unlike say the DS where you can only press on one area at a time.

Stop being a **** Jordan. It's an amazing product. Watch the keynote.

Sorry, i don't like to accept all of Steve Jobs' Apple flavoured ejaculate so I think i'll pass.

I think one way is putting it down on a desk and typing like it is a real keyboard with 2 hands.

This is a product I was genuinely interested in, that is until I saw the price. Even the 4GB model is $499 which will tranlate into at least €499, way out of my price range.

If they could have priced it lower and still kept it as functional I would definitely have considered.

Although I'd be a little worried about that screen getting easily scratched.

I don't think that will be problematic: if you have thought of it, it will have crosses the minds of many designers. Apple know it can be scratched and they, as well as any other company (if they thought of the product) will have made some kind of protection, so it won't scratch or not that easely.

I'm actually refering to those cheap other MP3-players who have those nasty buttons - they hurt my fingers. I'll edit my post to make that more obvious (EDIT: I bolded the sentence, so people will notice it and I don't have to edit my previous post). But I wasn't saying anything bad about Apple. I have an iBook G4 (12") and I don't have any reason to complain. My brother had laptops of Toshiba and HewlettPackard, but they all have problems (CD drive doesn't always work; doesn't read DVD's anymore; doesn't connect to the wifi; has keys that love your fingers so much, they want to hold on to them and alike), I never had any trouble except the system stopping two times in one and a half year. So Apple makes great things. If on the same processing speed and RAM like my iBook G4, windows would be running, it would probably work sloppy and slow. Hope they sort it out with Vista, wich looks like a stupid copy of Apple's design; The newness of Vista will be gone in a year, Apple's design seem to live on. I still love the coloured iMacs of yore.

Sorry if I sound apple-fan, I worked with Windows for seven years and then switched to mac. It was a true relief. Finally, programs working like they should. Windows never pulled that one off, with shutting Photoshop down everytime again...

Thank you mate. I'm not an Apple fanboy (apparently you have to justify enjoying something from a company that does things right), I switched to Mac after 8 years of Windows use. I now detest having to come to work and use Windows. I like Apple's products, therefore I like Apple. End of story.

Queue all the idiots who ass rape Apple enough just to buy any product with their logo slapped on it...

To be honest though (And I'm not saying you're one of them) for every person that ass rapes anything Apple makes, there's another guy who's the exact opposite and hates anything Apple makes purely because it's Apple.

Only 8gig memory?

Its a phone its not a dedicated MP3 player.

I'm sorry but no. Steve Jobs called it a phone, ipod and internet device together. It is meant to be an mp3 player more so than most phones with mp3 playing functionality. Yeah I do have more than 8GB, I've got around 12Gb currently (in a medium quality mp3 format I might add which I don't like) and with this I'd want to use the video playing functions of it so I'd expect that to start rising pretty rapidly.

He did call it an ipod and in the beginning, the whole point in an ipod was that it stored all your music on one device. I know there're nanos and minis now but even they are more so intended for people with smaller music libraries. Having all your music on one portable player is part of what has helped define the ipod and make it so successful.

I just don't think 8GB is enough for this device and especially when it's launching right at the end of the year for us. Here's hoping they decide to bring out and iPhone thin and fat.

One thing that confuses me is how exactly do you go about texting? How does this multi-tuch thing work?

Texting just uses an onscreen keyboard. In the demo I saw I noticed he did make a typo on the keyboard (hit a p instead of an o) but it corrected it straight away. The multi touch thing seemed to have a few uses but the main example was say you're looking at a picture. Need to make it bigger? then you put two fingers on the screen. Pull your fingers apart to make the image bigger, bring them in closer and make it smaller.

I saw a tech demo of this sort of user interface multi touch screen technology a while back and it was extremely impressive. One example in that tech demo (don't think it was an apple one so who knows if this sort of thing will make the iPhone) was using the multi touch for rotation. Put one finger down which acts as an anchor point. Then, using the other finger you can rotate the image around that anchor point. There were other vry cool things in that demo that I can't quite recall.

The Apple iPhone site has some pretty cool demos on it though. wooooo!

Actually, those huge widescreen TFT's Apple made a couple of years ago I actually loved and considered buying one.

Only the price put me off in the end.

I thought they were just demonstrating that you can touch more than one point at once, unlike say the DS where you can only press on one area at a time.

From what I've seen it looks a tiny bit more sophisticated than that. You don't just touch it, you put a tiny bit of pressure into what you're touching for it to recognize it as a "click" and not just an accidental swipe.

The fact that they're making it Cingular exclusive is a big mistake. Whatever happened to SIM cards, huh? Face the facts guys, most of you are just over hyped because you're Apple fanboys. Don't get me wrong, I think it has some amazing features, but I just don't see how this is better than any phone currently out on the market.

Ok, so this is the back of the iPhone. Where's the 2 megapixel camera?

EDIT: It's in the top left corner. Pretty practical place for it.

Oh yeah, don't forget there's also a 95% chance Apple will release a "second generation" model within 6 months of the iPhone's release.

ngbbs45a4cc18d6080.jpg

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!