NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nintendork

Wii straps.

I don't want to be a hype monger suggesting you go buy stuff like this is Wii2K or something.

However the laws of statistics suggests someone on this forum will smash their TV when playing Wii.

The Wii straps coming are not that good.. the nylon webbing loop is strong but not strongly fixed to the main strap. I know this because they are from the same manafacturer of the DS straps (and I have tested mine by snapping it really easy with 2 fingers)

This is minor cost cutting on Nintendo's behalf.

I don't want a smashed TV.. but I also want to enjoy my Wii without worrying if my palms are sweaty or how my grip is. It kinda detracts from the experience so I tracked down an alternative.

I stumbled across Yuuki who has a mobile phone strap blog (of all the things to dedicate your life to!) and she suggested a few alternatives.

This one holds 5kg and uses metal links combined with fabric loops to prevent that clunky feeling. Perhaps a bit bulky for average person though.

However there has already been a 10kg metal rivet Wii centric strap made for those worried (rightfully so) about their big ass TV.. £5 in the long run is nothing when you consider your TV could be worth 250 times that.

This is the one and only thing I'm gonna pick up before I get a Wii.

PS. if you want you can merge it with the Wiihaveaproblem thread.

Anyone else get the feeling solitanze was a mod in a previous life?

Well, we've now got two threads on this, two threads on the Wii adverts and two threads on Wii sales figures.

Well, we've now got two threads on this, two threads on the Wii adverts and two threads on Wii sales figures.

You think thats bad you should see the Official Xbox forum they have about five threads for every subject

The Wii Remote is lighter than the DS Lite, right?

Should be fine...

Mine broke so easy, even if it is lighter I don't know anyone who uses their DS strap to carry it for prolonged periods of time.

If it were fine then during Wii sports people wouldn't have it snapping and going at their TV. Unless you are really self controlled.

Then why has this not happened at any of the press events?

Obviously, this only happens when people are playing way OTT.

Because at each Wii unit they have had 1 person standing there demonstrating and telling you to hold on.

You can see videos, just YouTube it.

The Wii remote weighs about the same as a computer mouse, i doubt the default straps will ever fail you if used properly

the strap that comes with it is durable.

just use that and if it looks like its breaking you can just buy a controller glove and just use the strap.

If you dont act like a wally and swing your arms at like 100 miles an hour your wrist strap should be fine... and if anyone is realy worryed just loop the strap through the end of the Wii mote a few times instead of just once!

yea and stay a few feet back from the tv (the controllers are wireless for a good reason)

We cant judge right now, Emasher is the only one here that has a Wii if im correct. We'l see what happens when we play, but when you do play follow Nintendo's suggestions.

If your hand starts becoming sweaty, take a moment to dry them.

Never let go of the controller, this is obviously what they intended because you have to hold and release the B button when playing bowling.

Also, try not to make OTT movements. All of us should know this, yet the occasional gamer may not. Theres no excuse for letting go of the controller during play, even with the wrist strap on.

You can't see it breaking because it breaks under the plastic nozzle.

Literally it is just glued.

It's not always the actual loop that breaks (that is the really strong nylon material I told you about) it's that this nylon fibre, is just glued to the main strap. Unlike metal rivets which is what should be used really. Wrapping multiple loops in theory could increase friction.

It is far from durable, even with the weight and average use, with a little heat from a palm or weather it will break.

These are much cheaper than gloves, and do the job better.

I don't want a smashed TV.. but I also want to enjoy my Wii without worrying if my palms are sweaty or how my grip is. It kinda detracts from the experience so I tracked down an alternative.

How many wii games actually will need you to make wild gestures like the ones in wii sports? Warioware and rayman maybe, but things like zelda and redsteel, racing or fps games wont need anything like the dramatic actions you can do for a minority of games.

That was serious, the next part is not...

Anyway surely it is more realistic that if you don't hold on tight it could fly out of your hand, for example most golfers in real life find it is much easier to not let the club fly out of their hand when they are playing, the same goes for tennis and throwing cows. You would never get any distance on a cow throw without holding tight.

Fair point, I actually hate Wii Sports and that guy was a jerk, anyone playing mine is getting an orientation on the strap.

I want Rayman though, I'm sure it will be in the minority but for anyone who has played Meteos or Star Fox you'll know that they are tense games.. and you can really dig into you stylus without knowing it.

My speeder has a massive hole in the screen. It's easy to get a bit into the game with the pace. I think when Wario comes out more TVs will break.

Especially if people are hot swapping controllers for 8 player stuff.

i am with you on this one dork. i will order some now. it is not me i am worried about it is the parents when they want a go. i can just see my mother smashing my TV. it is playing over and over in my mind. and the worst thing is she will kill herself laughing when it happens

I have no fears as i wont be swinging mine to the extent of breakages.

I'll use the wrist strap. If it breaks with simple ongoing play and it falls out my hand then I'll complain.

Good thread though, give peeps the heads up before they start making massive amount of threads on here saying we were screwed over with the strtraps now we have to buy more wiimotes or nintendo is gay etc.

The Wii Remote is lighter than the DS Lite, right?

Should be fine...

Yeah, but the DS only has 9.81N acting upon it:indeed:

Yeah, but the DS only has 9.81N acting upon it:indeed:

Not when twirling it around on the wrist strap...

Sign in to follow this