N-Europe

Where can you put the sensor bar?

dannbrownn

At the moment i am planning to have my wii set up permanantly in my living room, my tv is on a cabinet which means that i can either put the sensor bar on top, which i am not overjoyed at as it will look odd so i will likely have to put it out of sight when im not playing, or i could put it on the floor beneath the cabinet which is where i always planne to place it, if i put it there it will be about half a meter below the tv screen so i was wondering if it would be possible that the distance below the tv would cause a problem for the motion sensing and alter the way the controller behaves.

Anyone got a wii and tested it out? Anyone else wondering about this? Anyone got anything at all to say on the matter?!

You need a straight, uninterupted, line between your Wii Remote and your Sensor Bar. Three meters is the maximum for motion-sensing and one meter is the minimum. So the setup is going to be in sight anyway, because if you want to play motion-sensing, you'll need it in sight...

On the top of your TV, on the bottom of your TV, or on the floor below your TV.

There is a small stand provided.. if you want to be a pro you can use suction cups or the double sided pads provided which leave residue on your TV.

It is pretty self explanatory. But of course there is a manual with the Wii as well. Not that anyone takes the time to Google it.

Guest Stefkov

according to this you dont really need the sensor bar :D

I dont think it matters how far away fromt he screen it is. That vid in that link, they are to the left of the tv and a bit below it.

mines going above my tv with those sticky feet pads.

Hey, my T.V. is on a dressor in my room. I have my sensor bar sitting on top of my T.V. If I'm playing Zelda I'm usually just laying in my bed playing and its fine. Wii Sports I'm standing up between my bed and my t.v. (Like 3-4 feet away from sensor bar) and it works just fine too.

I find if its ontop of the t.v. you have to tilt the contoller up just a lil. It's only a lil weird at first but then you don't even notice your doing it(best if your laying in bed :D). If I put it on the dressor and postitioned right infront at the bottom of the t.v. I have to hold the controller leveled.

Playing in bed is MUCH easier then a regular controller IMO. I'm just like lying there spread out on my bed pwning in zelda, wiiiii.

You need a straight, uninterupted, line between your Wii Remote and your Sensor Bar. Three meters is the maximum for motion-sensing and one meter is the minimum. So the setup is going to be in sight anyway, because if you want to play motion-sensing, you'll need it in sight...

What if you're closer to it than one metre, does it just not work :blank:

On the top of your TV, on the bottom of your TV, or on the floor below your TV.

There is a small stand provided.. if you want to be a pro you can use suction cups or the double sided pads provided which leave residue on your TV.

It is pretty self explanatory. But of course there is a manual with the Wii as well. Not that anyone takes the time to Google it.

Looking at the manual it seems to say that the sensor bar, if below the tv, has to be on the same surface that the TV is sitting on (i.e it can't be on a shelf below the TV or, I would therefore presume, on the floor). It also states it needs to be on the very edge of the surface it is sitting on.... a little more inflexible than previously thought.... :wtf:

I thought it was scaled.. the closer you are the more sensitive it becomes, and the further away your get out of the optimum range the less sensitive it becomes.

Seems to be a little specific for a motion sensor based piece of equipment

It has to see the two eyes and there is a minimum distance. You will need to stand one meter, because if you come closer only one eye can keep track. And off course, if you come closer than one meter, you will be able to see the points on your television screen or damage your eyes, so that could be the reason Nintendo isn't advising you.

About that 'no sensor bar need' film, it looked as if the response wasn't that smooth (the hand to control the menu was flickering). Very odd, and in the end: why throw it away? It's not like it's ugly.

according to this you dont really need the sensor bar :D

I dont think it matters how far away fromt he screen it is. That vid in that link, they are to the left of the tv and a bit below it.

mines going above my tv with those sticky feet pads.

I didn't know of many people who thought the sensor bar recieved while the wiimote sent, then again, I only knew how it worked due to reading wikipedia a while ago. It will work much better(probably rather shoddy otherwise) with a sensor bar though, as the wii is designed to calculate the IR based on the positioning of IR emitters as is in the sensor bar, I think.

You can put it where the sun don't shine Sonny Jim!

Lol! That made me laugh, is anyone here actually likely to have that problem?

I didn't know of many people who thought the sensor bar recieved while the wiimote sent, then again, I only knew how it worked due to reading wikipedia a while ago. It will work much better(probably rather shoddy otherwise) with a sensor bar though, as the wii is designed to calculate the IR based on the positioning of IR emitters as is in the sensor bar, I think.

yeah it has never been said the sensor bar actually recieves anything, I even remember reading (Iwata asks maybe?!) that Nintendo didn't originally intend to have the sensor bar but incorporated it to help make sure the wiimote was always as accurate as can be possible.

where the sun never shines

It's been done already! :p

Does anyone here actually have a TV that faces toward's a window? They maybe should have made a little sort of shader thingy, to make sure the bar will always be in shadow from direct sunlight.