NEurope
Oli1983uk

dead Wiis

How many defective Wiis are there compared to defective PS3s?

No one knows till they are bought off ebay and played with.

My gamecube was defective, stopped working properly a day or two after launch day. It better not happen with the Wii :woops:

These things always happen with home consoles, look at the trouble with the 360, handhelds are the only consoles that really have good working records.

I assume that a lot of consoles have problems at the beginning because although they will have been tested they wont have been tested truly in a consumer environment until there are hundreds of thousands being used in real situations, and when you are dealing with that amount it is only natural that some go off the walls!

We will just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best!

All electronic equipment can potentially break. Nintendo have a solid track record on quality goods - and when things go wrong, it has an exceptional warranty programme.

Putting on my fanboy hat for a moment, Sony have a terrible track record of supplying long lasting playstation units. How many people know someone who has had a faulty PS unit? Quite a few, i'd wager.

Instead of being constructive and emailing Nintendo's service centre, these folks have instead emailed a website. Priorities wrong?

yeah this happens all the time, at work some people are on their 3rd 360 we even have one customer who is on his 5th!!!

yeah this happens all the time, at work some people are on their 3rd 360 we even have one customer who is on his 5th!!!

Yeah, but you must remember first patch of X360's were indeed faulty and Microsoft called all of them for repairs in USA. Main reason why consoles break up on certain users so often is that Microsoft doesn't replace your unit, they actually repair it. You just get your damage prone and relatively unstable first patch X360 back. And when it breaks up, you send it back to Microsoft, they repair it, send it back to you, and so on... :)

Yeah, but you must remember first patch of X360's were indeed faulty and Microsoft called all of them for repairs in USA. Main reason why consoles break up on certain users so often is that Microsoft doesn't replace your unit, they actually repair it. You just get your damage prone and relatively unstable first patch X360 back. And when it breaks up, you send it back to Microsoft, they repair it, send it back to you, and so on... :)

at hmv we actually just replace their console outright for the first year after purchase.

Same in GAME, you bring it in.. manager makes a quick call to get the okay and book it in. Customer gets a replacement.

One reason why keeping receipts is worthwhile.

Seeing as MS send back a 360 as soon as a faulty one is received I very much doubt they send the same one back repaired. I know for a fact every one I've had has been different, serial numbers and all.

And game saves, content downloads and Xbox Live Arcade purchases gone I'll bet...

They are on the hard drive or memory card

And game saves, content downloads and Xbox Live Arcade purchases gone I'll bet...

Nope... on xbox live you can redownload anything you've paid for... and your account details are stored on the server, not the machine.

Nintendo have already said that if something happens to your wii then customer services will allow you to redownload anything you've paid for.

also... nintendo have a history of making very robust hardware... so I think thei thread is premature.

Defective 360's was at 3-5% I think Joystiq reported.

Yeah right.

Anyway, I hope mine's OK, lest' hope we're lucky.

Is it wrong that i laughed at a video on youtube.com, where the guys' Wii wouldnt accept the disc? I guess i'm just bitter about not getting it yet. Good thing is, we shouldn't have to put up with this at our launch, because all the bad stuff happened in the US launch.

According to IGN, there has been problems with the 'Startup Disc' which has Firmware on and such and some people haven't been getting it....or something.

According to IGN, there has been problems with the 'Startup Disc' which has Firmware on and such and some people haven't been getting it....or something.

I think thats just for the demo pods.

Now this is a bit more worrying:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get a broken Wii.

by Micah Seff

US, November 20, 2006 - We have received word from numerous sources that running the initial WiiConnect 24 update on the Wii has had a tendency to cause a recurring error code. Several error codes have been reported so far, but the most prevalent of them are 110213 and 32002. We contacted Nintendo about this issue, and they filled us in on what you should do if you find yourself in this predicament.

Currently, Nintendo has two options in place to resolve the problem. If you do not have any data saved to your system that is important to keep, then you can contact Nintendo customer service and they will ship a new console to you in 3-4 business days. However, if you do have important data saved to your system, then things get a little trickier. Data like game saves and Miis are not disastrous to lose, but Virtual Console data is. While Virtual Console games are re-downloadable should you delete them, the data saved on your console regarding which games you have downloaded is tied to your system. In this situation, option #2 is the way to go.

Option #2 requires that Nintendo send you a shipping label which should take 4-10 business days. Once you receive the shipping label, you can use it to send the console to Nintendo for repairs, after which they will send it back to you. Sadly, this process takes 8-12 business days, meaning that if you choose option #2, you will be Wii-less for a good long while.

Nintendo could not comment on how widespread this problem is, but did say that they are currently looking into fixes that can be done without Nintendo replacing or repairing the console itself. If you find yourself receiving either of these error codes, or any others, please visit Nintendo's customer service website.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/746/746907p1.html

Yeah I've heard about the update bricking Wiis as well. Kotaku also reported it. Seems all next gen consoles have problems at launch, but for me maybe I'll be lucky again, yet to get any sort of dying console EVER! :D

Well, this problem with the Wii is unlikely to happen in other territories now.

Seriously, the way so many consoles and other devices have been recalled is stupid. Sometimes, I feel like there was absolutely no testing made to some products.

My Gamecube was defected. The disk reader was "tilted", so any CD spinning inside would scratch against the inside of the Gamecube. When I first realized why so many of my games started getting disk read errors, I almost cried. Look at where I live, there's absolutely no place to go to in case something breaks.