NEurope
flameboy

The Reviews Thread

Btw in famitsu they say they just don't give it a perfect 40, because it's too hard. lol those crazy japanese

I'm actually glad it may be too hard, I mean the Wind Waker was literally a breeze to play...

TP isn't that hard...a lil harder then Wind Waker. You sure have to think more tho :D Harder than Ocarina tho? Hmm :S I dunno what Famitsu is talking about ^^ ::shrug: I'm 10 hours in...

I have to say, every review of Red Steel I've read has said the major, crippling flaw is exactly the problems I pointed out with the turning months ago.

The Wind Waker really had two things going for it that made it a stand out title, the graphical style and travelling via sea,

I considered the sea travel to be a downside to game, sometimes it was just too long and boring, sometimes i wonder if famitsu really finished Wind Waker, or if they stopped just before the "triforce collecting" part. Cuz anyone who's played it fully will agree that it is a 10/10 game up to that point, then it falls.

However 38/40 from the bible of reviews in Japan, i can live with that. Though it would have been cool to see it up there as one of the few games to get 40/40

And 34/40 for Red Steel eases some of my worries... i think maybe they loved the "japanese" influence on the game

Looks like Red Steel is comin off my Wii shopping list. It's a shame, as it looked like it was going to be really good, too.

Wow, to say 8.8 got so many OMFG LOL, OMGZ, NOOOEESS

Famitsu's 38/40 seems to ahve gone down well.

Famitsu scores:

Necronesia 8 7 6 7

Super Monkey Ball 8 8 8 7

Wing Island 5 6 6 5

Cororinpa 6 6 6 6

SDGundam  8 8 9 8

Ennichi 7 7 7 6

Tamagochi  7 7 7 5

Red Steel  8 9 9 8 :shock:

Trauma Center  8 9 8 7

Elebits!! 8 8 8 8

Super Swing Golf  8 7 7 7

WarioWare  8 9 8 9

Zelda The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 9 / 10 / 9 / 10 - (38/40)

Zelda The Twilight Princess (GC, Nintendo): 10 / 10 / 9 / 9 - (38/40)

Crayon Shinchan  7 8 7 6

yeah red steel scores are a big surprise. part of me wants to try it,even IGN said it is still enjoyable once you've conquered the controls just they are a massive stumbling block, I'm still 50/50 on whether to get it or not. I do really want to get it, but the lure of the pedigree of Call of Duty is calling me (although I do know that it has some problems)

Famitsu scores:

Necronesia 8 7 6 7 --> 28/40 = 7/10

Super Monkey Ball 8 8 8 7 --> 31/40 = 7.75/10

Wing Island 5 6 6 5 --> 22/40 = 5.5/10

Cororinpa 6 6 6 6 --> 24/40 = 6/10

Red Steel  8 9 9 8 --> 34/40 = 8.5/10

Trauma Center  8 9 8 7 --> 32/40 = 8/10

Elebits!! 8 8 8 8 --> 32/40 = 8/10

Super Swing Golf  8 7 7 7 --> 29/40 = 7.25/10

WarioWare  8 9 8 9 --> 34/40 = 8.5/10

Zelda The Twilight Princess (Wii, Nintendo): 9 / 10 / 9 / 10 - (38/40) --> 9.5/10

Zelda The Twilight Princess (GC, Nintendo): 10 / 10 / 9 / 9 - (38/40) --> 9.5/10

^------------------------- Most scores there are reasonable, [as in close to what the game actually deserves]

Japan is gonna love Red Steel I reckon.

Yeah. They never got into the tanklike control of todays fps. Even Metroid Prime did not do well in japan.

I'm actually glad it may be too hard, I mean the Wind Waker was literally a breeze to play...

Haha, a breeze..you know...with it being about wind and all...genius.

Cassamassinas post Wii thoughts:

Post Wii Thoughts and Observations

Uh-oh. I got home tonight and I can feel that tickle in the back of my throat -- the one which says, "Get ready, man, because you've got a nasty cold coming." I could be down for the count through the Thanksgiving holiday if it turns out to be true, which would suck, but at least I'm finally done with some major reviews, including everything from Zelda and Monkey Ball to Rayman and Red Steel. I've still got a pile of reviews left -- SpongeBob, Happy Feet, Splinter Cell, etc. -- but these are not quite as pressing as the Wii exclusives.

Anyway, with all the madness leading up to Wii launch, I couldn't find the time to collect my thoughts about the system and its games. I have some observations, some good and some bad. Here they are in quick sentence buckshots:

1. I officially love the controller. Navigating menus with the Wii remote is top notch. Going back to a traditional controller feels archaic and somehow wrong. Also loving the Wii remote for games like Zelda, Monkey Ball, Rayman and Trauma Center.

2. Loving the Mii system. I was afraid this would be gimmicky and pointless, but I have spent hours upon hours creating dozens of friends and family. Seeing recognizable faces in Wii Sports is just cool.

3. Barely used the Photo Channel, but it has potential. As a side note, I wish I could hook up a printer to Wii so that I could actually do something more with the Channel.

4. I've downloaded six games from the Virtual Console service. That being said, I am utterly disappointed with the Wii Shop Channel and WiiConnect24 as a whole. With the exception of sending Miis to friends, I believe that Nintendo has so far created a totally claustrophobic online network -- one that dismisses community and encourages singularity.

I imagine rabid fans will argue against me, but honestly, I fired off some messages to Peer over the Wii message board the other night and they took five to 10 minutes to arrive on his system. I've added some Wii friends to my system, but they remain totally inactive anyway until they add me back. Even the process of browsing the Wii Shop Channel seems rushed. Why aren't these game lists cached using WiiConnect24? Why do I have to 'connect' to the Shop Channel at all? When I'm on Xbox Live, I can browse everything instantly.

5. Wii Sports Bowling continues to be awesome.

6. I wish I could save Virtual Console games to SD Card. It turns out, you can only store game save files and Wii Channels -- like the Opera browser, apparently -- to SD Card.

7. I hope the second USB 2.0 slot will support a USB hard drive in the future.

8. None of my friends' Mii characters have appeared in Mii Parade yet.

9. The classic controller is cool.

10. One thing that really bugged me early on is that my Wii remote seemed to glitch out when playing on my plasma at home. I evrentually figured out that this was happening because I was playing from about 10 feet away. This pissed me off very, very much and I was about ready to rant about the limitations of the technology, but first I went into Wii Settings and upped the sensitivity of the sensor bar to the max. That fixed everything. If you've had similar problems then follow my lead and you'll be happy.

11. I really wish at least one "Wii Ware" was avaiable at system launch.

12. Nintendo really dropped the ball on Wii component cables. In this day and age, I can't believe it again forgot that users might really want to play its software in 480p. The fact that these cables sold out immediately -- everywhere -- should be a big wake up call.

13. Every person I have introduced to Wii is very impressed, if not blown away by the system.

14. Every kid I know who has seen Rayman Raving Rabbids totally loves the bunnies and the game.

15. I really wish Nintendo would make Excitebike 64 available on the Virtual Console. For some reason, I really want to play it, but can't find my old copy.

16. The load times between Wii Channels are stupid. I hope Nintendo can figure out a way to make them speedier.

17. I don't like the way I can hear my system re-checking the disc drive every time I exit a Wii Channel.

18. I enjoy using the A and B trigger buttons to pick things up -- whether they be Mii characters or actual Wii Channels.

19. Zelda rocks in just about every way.

20. Strangely, you can drag your Wii Channels over to the next page simply by picking them up and "mousing" over the arrow. However, you can't drag Wii Message Board posts over to the next day in the same fashion. Neither can you edit your Message Board posts. I hope future firmware updates address these incredibly minor issues.

There you have it. Right off the top of my head and into the blog. All things said and done, I am very impresed with what Nintendo has achieved with Wii so far and I'm really looking forward to next year's lineup. I think the console is going to go over big for hardcore and casual gamers alike.

Nintendo Power Zelda:TP Review: 9.5.

Because NP thinks the music was too subtle and wolflink was a forced for extended periods. :sad:

Cassamassinas post Wii thoughts:

Post Wii Thoughts and Observations

Uh-oh. I got home tonight and I can feel that tickle in the back of my throat -- the one which says, "Get ready, man, because you've got a nasty cold coming." I could be down for the count through the Thanksgiving holiday if it turns out to be true, which would suck, but at least I'm finally done with some major reviews, including everything from Zelda and Monkey Ball to Rayman and Red Steel. I've still got a pile of reviews left -- SpongeBob, Happy Feet, Splinter Cell, etc. -- but these are not quite as pressing as the Wii exclusives.

Anyway, with all the madness leading up to Wii launch, I couldn't find the time to collect my thoughts about the system and its games. I have some observations, some good and some bad. Here they are in quick sentence buckshots:

1. I officially love the controller. Navigating menus with the Wii remote is top notch. Going back to a traditional controller feels archaic and somehow wrong. Also loving the Wii remote for games like Zelda, Monkey Ball, Rayman and Trauma Center.

2. Loving the Mii system. I was afraid this would be gimmicky and pointless, but I have spent hours upon hours creating dozens of friends and family. Seeing recognizable faces in Wii Sports is just cool.

3. Barely used the Photo Channel, but it has potential. As a side note, I wish I could hook up a printer to Wii so that I could actually do something more with the Channel.

4. I've downloaded six games from the Virtual Console service. That being said, I am utterly disappointed with the Wii Shop Channel and WiiConnect24 as a whole. With the exception of sending Miis to friends, I believe that Nintendo has so far created a totally claustrophobic online network -- one that dismisses community and encourages singularity.

I imagine rabid fans will argue against me, but honestly, I fired off some messages to Peer over the Wii message board the other night and they took five to 10 minutes to arrive on his system. I've added some Wii friends to my system, but they remain totally inactive anyway until they add me back. Even the process of browsing the Wii Shop Channel seems rushed. Why aren't these game lists cached using WiiConnect24? Why do I have to 'connect' to the Shop Channel at all? When I'm on Xbox Live, I can browse everything instantly.

5. Wii Sports Bowling continues to be awesome.

6. I wish I could save Virtual Console games to SD Card. It turns out, you can only store game save files and Wii Channels -- like the Opera browser, apparently -- to SD Card.

7. I hope the second USB 2.0 slot will support a USB hard drive in the future.

8. None of my friends' Mii characters have appeared in Mii Parade yet.

9. The classic controller is cool.

10. One thing that really bugged me early on is that my Wii remote seemed to glitch out when playing on my plasma at home. I evrentually figured out that this was happening because I was playing from about 10 feet away. This pissed me off very, very much and I was about ready to rant about the limitations of the technology, but first I went into Wii Settings and upped the sensitivity of the sensor bar to the max. That fixed everything. If you've had similar problems then follow my lead and you'll be happy.

11. I really wish at least one "Wii Ware" was avaiable at system launch.

12. Nintendo really dropped the ball on Wii component cables. In this day and age, I can't believe it again forgot that users might really want to play its software in 480p. The fact that these cables sold out immediately -- everywhere -- should be a big wake up call.

13. Every person I have introduced to Wii is very impressed, if not blown away by the system.

14. Every kid I know who has seen Rayman Raving Rabbids totally loves the bunnies and the game.

15. I really wish Nintendo would make Excitebike 64 available on the Virtual Console. For some reason, I really want to play it, but can't find my old copy.

16. The load times between Wii Channels are stupid. I hope Nintendo can figure out a way to make them speedier.

17. I don't like the way I can hear my system re-checking the disc drive every time I exit a Wii Channel.

18. I enjoy using the A and B trigger buttons to pick things up -- whether they be Mii characters or actual Wii Channels.

19. Zelda rocks in just about every way.

20. Strangely, you can drag your Wii Channels over to the next page simply by picking them up and "mousing" over the arrow. However, you can't drag Wii Message Board posts over to the next day in the same fashion. Neither can you edit your Message Board posts. I hope future firmware updates address these incredibly minor issues.

There you have it. Right off the top of my head and into the blog. All things said and done, I am very impresed with what Nintendo has achieved with Wii so far and I'm really looking forward to next year's lineup. I think the console is going to go over big for hardcore and casual gamers alike.

plenty of really good points there.

the few teething problems with WiiConnect24 will get ironed out I'm sure, with either firmware updates or simply changing the online service you connect to. Bit worried at this a point about how slow things seem to be, sure they can sort this at some point. more servers perhaps? more localised servers? But then again this is Nintendo's first real bash at the home console online lark (forget the Zelda BS or whatever it was called) you only have to look how long and how much development has taken place over Xbox Live to see things can move on, even Sony didn't really have it sussed on PS2 either (can't comment on PS3)

Good to see the Mii getting some praise, lets hope Nintendo build on this and start to develop ideas for it like new items to edit them, surely the first and most simple must be developing a pattern designer like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart DS to go on your mii's shirts I'm defo making a pompey shirt for mine if that happens.

Nintendo Power Zelda:TP Review: 9.5.

Because NP thinks the music was too subtle and wolflink was a forced for extended periods. :sad:

Some want change, some don't. Also: subtle music ftw OoT is an example on this in dungeons.

Wind Waker is so far the best Zelda in terms of music, I don't know what he means by "subtle" but if there is anything along the lines of Dragon Roost Island, then I'll be chuffed as chips.

Some want change, some don't. Also: subtle music ftw OoT is an example on this in dungeons.

the forest temple music in OOT drives me nuts, it always gives me a headache.