N-Europe

Claire Redfield: the lamest RE character ever (and why she should die in RE5)

moo-floo

DISCLAIMER: This here topic, like 99.9% of the ones you find on these boards, is AN OPINION. There really is no need to make that clear, because it is obvious that on a message board you'll find people writing their opinions. However, some few users seem to get the idea that opinions don't belong here. Go figure.

-THE PROBLEM WITH CLAIRE REDFIELD-

Despite her tender age (19) and basically normal background, Claire makes the rest of the main RE characters look silly an irrelevant despite their training and different levels of experience. Her brother Chris was an ex-military man and S.T.A.R.S. member, Barry Burton was an ex-SWAT member, Jill Valentine Delta Force (yes, they do have some women in the force, but only those who were Green Beret members and some are specifically trained to perform intelligence services as female spies), Leon S. Kennedy in RE2, was a trained member of the Select Police Force, an elite division of the R.P.D. police force. Rebecca Chambers, despite her young age, was considered one of those child prodigies to the point that she excelled at medical school and replaced the old medic at S.T.A.R.S. (George Scott). And she was also trained in order to join Enrico's tactical rescue unit. Billy Coen was an ex-marine. And the rest of the protagonists have backgrounds that can easily explain their survival skills and proficient knowledge about the use of weapons.

But Claire?... What is her official background?

She's a 19 years old college student & she rides a motorcycle.

WTF????

Hell, that is almost the same background for Ashley Graham! Ashley is a 20 year old college student.

At that age, the only monsters both Ashley and Claire had to deal with, were the monster size pimples on their faces (or butt, take yer pick). The difference is that Ashley, an untrained civilian, behaved like most untrained civilians would behave in the face of "horror beyond the imagination". The other untrained civilian, Claire, behaved like she had been killing zombies and using military weapons on a normal every day basis as a pre-teenager.

Now, I understand that many of you might have some half-baked THEORY that you pulled from the deepest part of your arse to explain why she's proficient using several types of weapons, and why she's nearly a martial arts as well as a demolition expert, and why she can out run an attack helicopter (and even bullets) and is considered a dangerous teenager by both Umbrella and the Ashford family (why?). But the fact of the matter, anything you would say would still be a half-baked theory based on nothing OFFICIAL. It would be something based on nothing explained in the games themselves. But more likely, something based on some of those irrelevant fanfics on the net or something worse. The fact is, Claire is a college student who rides a motorbike. That's about it.

Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that Wesker is superhuman... as things are, I would dare say Claire is the most powerful character in the RE universe. No training, no experience at all, and yet she's a bad-@ss to the point that Chuck Norris looks like a sissy next to her.

Claire has to be thankful of the fact that she was born (as a character) during the time when females characters like Buffy the Vampire Slayer were trendy. Back in the days when we considered it normal for a small frame girl to be able to beat armies of the undead with a look and a flicker of a finger. After Buffy, we accepted characters like Dark Angel and Charlie's Angels (the movie versions, not the TV series) as normal. So why not Claire, right?

Well, times are a changin' and these days the only way a 4 or 5 foot girl can be considered dangerous, is when she creates a MySpace.com webpage saying that Bush must die (those who don't watch the news won't get the reference) or she straps herself with dinamite. Otherwise, it is B.S. and nobody buys that anymore.

-THE SOLUTION-

She must die in Resident Evil 5. Yeah, let that silly fossil of the late 90's die a miserable death in RE5 (maybe becoming a monster or even better, a toothless zombie), and then let a well trained and experience character like Chris Redfield take over and seek revenge on Umbrella. But for the love of everything sacred, Capcom must get rid of her since she makes the rest of the RE characters look stupid with all their training and experience. She's like the Jar-Jar Binks of the RE universe, totally out of place.

-ANOTHER SOLUTION-

Pull another Wesker on us, Capcom. That is, make Claire super human. Maybe she got infected in RE2 or she used the G-virus on herself or something. I don't know! Just give us a reason as to why a teenage Claire became a born warrior while the rest of the RE characters had to train really HARD to become one.

Thank you all for reading.

In before lock x Infinity. (I have to say, that felt pretty good)

Edit: Actually, upon reading, I do see your point, except the fact that you seem to put way too much emphasis on the idea that we actually give a flying dookie about a polygonal constructs' "background."

My opinion on the matter at hand is somewhat useless, but here goes:

Being a female, a young, teenage, attractive female no less, Clare Redfield has, by default, got a place in the Resident Evil series. Us guys, well, most of us, we happen to like women. Attractive, virtual ones we can play as in videogames are also quite appealing to many of us. The creators know ladies sell products. Especially redheads.

That's why she's there, and that's why she's staying :)

How extremely random. Noo, come back online Largo, explain the randomness. Better still, leave it. It's a fantastic mystery.

Anyway, this thread itself (the first post) is not breaking any rules as far as i can see. It might be in the wrong board though. But, i'm happy to leave it here unless anyone else sees fit to move it.

Maybe Maybe not.

This place went tits up fomr days of Old. I miss it. I still see Jordan gets whored like usual.

I demand more Ada in RE she is Hot ^_^ Imba powers FTW!

Also CLaire shouldnt die she's an Icon for us all. Without her we wouldnt have people like porky the pig and Humpty Dumpty!

Mountaneering seemed like it would be easier on me. I've always been an adventure gamer, action was never my thing as a kid and it shows now because I suck at them.

I wasted bare bullets on the first zombie which Google says is bad.. the second zombie I ran out so I imagine I'll be okay this time.

Hope I get a refill soon though.

Most consider this to be an adventure but I think anything with guns is action really.. even if the pace is slow I still tense up and lose control.

The control scheme doesn't help.. I'd probably rock at RE4 as it's third person.