N-Europe

books

Emasher

I've not read anything for a while as I have this thing where I can't start a new book until I've finished reading my current one. I'm stuck in a bad one and I still can't move on so it just sits by my bed and I don't read anything.

My favourite author is Douglas Adams, and my username comes from one of his books (managing to cover two threads in one reply).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd start reading the great american novel - Moby Dick.

It's cus I just found in my house a ton of books I never knew we had, so I'm reading them now. So far I've read: Grapes of Wrath, Frankenstein and Dr.Jeckyll + Mr.Hyde (think it was called that).

In Eng.Lit I'm also reading Betjeman's poetry and 'A Streetcar Named Desire'

What I'm into at the minute - though not technically literature I guess - is stuff by Bob Dylan (see my sig) - his lyrics and poetry put to some awesome music

I tend to only read my course text books. However I am slowly making my way through "They Fuck You Up" a pyschoanalytical book about how your early life and upbringing affects your adult behaviour and relationships.

Named after Larkin's poem, no doubt.

I read quite a bit, I study English at Uni. I got a bit complacent and stopped with books for about a year, but now I've realised I need to get my head in books again in time for essays and practice exams. I'll read damn near anything, though old and middle English authors are heavily overrated, even in their own time, and really annoy me.

While commuting I'm rereading Stephen King's Dark Tower epic series, and while at home I'm rereading Alan Moore's Watchmen. Anyone got any ideas for NEW books I can read?

I'd suggest the shining but if you're gonna read it while commuting it might not be as good (better on a dark, silent night)

amusingly, I thought to myself when I opened this thread 'this is all going to be about stephen king, hitch hikers guide and his dark materials.'

Glad to see some things never change. kind of. Can't help but cry out for a bit of diversity but I keep forgetting I was probably reading similar stuff a few years back...

Aye, thats what I thought...man Larkin was a miserable bastard :heh:.

And a librarian at Hull unil. Something they will never stop telling you if you come here. ever. ever ever ever.

I'm addicted to reading at the moment, and love fantasy. I've just finished the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan which I love, and I bought New Spring recently. I'm currently reading A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin, the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's bloody fantastic. :bowdown:

I do English lit and Creative Writing.

You could do a lot worse than Hull uni. The city leaves a fair bit to be desired mind- words fail me when trying to describe how cold January is here- but the uni itself is really good.

Oh, cool, whats the art department like? I'm kinda looking around at the moment for good uni's for Art primarily...but I still haven't really decided what I want to do yet.

The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger. I bought the book after watching ghost in the shell seeing they made refrences to it, its the best damn book i've read so far.

I'm also into the lazy mans way of reading a.k.a audiobooks, i bought about six audiobooks off of eBay, i still haven't finnished yet though.

The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger. I bought the book after watching ghost in the shell seeing they made refrences to it, its the best damn book i've read so far.

I'm also into the lazy mans way of reading a.k.a audiobooks, i bought about six audiobooks off of eBay, i still haven't finnished yet though.

Excellent :). It's also one of my favourite books. Have you finished it yet?

It's all starting to make sense :heh:...what are you studying at hull? I'm thinking of going there, but only really because a lot of my friends live in hull.

Hull's a pretty good city yeah. Im really enjoying it at the moment, met a lot of good friends whilst Ive been here. The city centre aint too great, but the clubs around and about are prettyg ood for a night out. And this place is one f the cheapest places int he UK for students..

However, I dunno' if its wise just going to uni cos' your mates live in the same city. Your choice though man, like Dan said - you can do a lot worse.

My favourite book is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, i also love anything by Spike Milligan, especially his war diarys. Other books i love are Frankenstein and The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: And Other Stories by Tim Burton.

Just finished reading The Greedy Bastard Diary by Eric Idle (Long live the Pythons!)

lovely book.

if you like the coming of age thing, check out The Bhudda Of Suburbia by Hanif Kurishi. It's fantastic.

My favourite book is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

great book.. can also recomend the follow up "Closing time" with a lot of the original cast.. not as good but still good fun

and if you havent read the bio by graham chapman I can strongly recommend it

right now im reading a few books about all you english Thugs... "Scally".. and after that "The naughty 40"..