N-Europe

We Have 10 Years To Save the World

Sarka

Remember the film "Day After Tomorrow", remember when "the shit started to hit the fan" and you saw a scene with the Vice President who wouldn't act soon enough cause "it would cost too much" money, remember thinking "I told you so".... we'll likely be telling our own governments and leaders "i told you so" very soon

Yes, because we all know that that movie was based on scientific fact :rolleyes:.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we all know that some scientists claim that its a never reversing trend, some say it can be. Others say that the o-zone layer is improving some say its not.

I personally believe the fact that as a plannet we have just come out of an ice age the plannet will warm up, but in 10 years temperatures will change back

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. --Mark Twain

If there's one thing humans can't do, it's predict the future. We just suck at it. Therefore, I'm going to shut up now. If you want to take action, go ahead. I'll sit here and wait it out.

I have some more interesting reading. This from one of the greatest scientist alive, Mr Stephen Hawking.

In the third week of June 2006, Stephen Hawking spoke in China and made the statement that humans might have already fried the atmosphere and inadvertently reconnected the planet Earth with her dead neighbours.

The China Daily asked Hawking about the environment, and he responded that he was “very worried about global warming.” He said he was afraid that Earth “might end up like Venus, at 250 degrees Celsius and raining sulfuric acid.” [6] In the light of this discussion it is believed that Stephen Hawking asked an open question on Yahoo Answers "How can the human race survive the next hundred years?" and received well over 25,000 responses [7]. The validity of the question was confirmed by Hawking himself and the Yahoo Answers staff. An answer has already been chosen.

In an ABC News interview in August 2006, Hawking explained, "The danger is that global warming may become self-sustaining, if it has not done so already. The melting of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps reduces the fraction of solar energy reflected back into space, and so increases the temperature further. Climate change may kill off the Amazon and other rain forests, and so eliminate one of the main ways in which carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere. The rise in sea temperature may trigger the release of large quantities of carbon dioxide, trapped as hydrides on the ocean floor. Both these phenomena would increase the greenhouse effect, and so further global warming. We have to reverse global warming urgently, if we still can." He also said that nuclear war and genetically engineered biological weapons were major threats to the human race.

Wikipedia link

Write down your last words boys and girls, cause were going for THE EDGE.

Climate change may kill off the Amazon and other rain forests, and so eliminate one of the main ways in which carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere.

Was that written before it was discovered that the main way in which carbon dioxide is removes is bacteria in the sea?

The biggest switch right now that we have to make I think, is to stop using our cars. Take a bus, go by bike... or buy a car that doesn't use gas.

The problem with that is even that when the British Govt. went through a phase of 'saying' "use more public transport", travelling by bus went up to cost 10 years wages instead of 6.:hmm:

The problem with that is even that when the British Govt. went through a phase of 'saying' "use more public transport", travelling by bus went up to cost 10 years wages instead of 6.:hmm:

I can get on the bus for free in my city. Sure, we all pay taxes for it now, but I think it helped to have a lot more people take the bus. No more stupid bus tickets and the like.

I can get on the bus for free in my city. Sure, we all pay taxes for it now, but I think it helped to have a lot more people take the bus. No more stupid bus tickets and the like.

Really? Thats awesome! Quite a cool concept, I would definitely use it more.

I might not get laid.

Americans are the worst for CO2 emissions. Averaging about 5.4 tonnes a year per person compared to our 1.4. The Canadians arent much better with something like 4.7 tonnes.

You do realise that their country is about 10 times as big as England?

It's the government that needs to do something. They say they care about the environment but they won't dip into their pockets to do anything about it.

I'm not saying you can totally blame the government but most people in our country are idiots and need to be told what to do and how to live.

You do realise that their country is about 10 times as big as England?

That's why I quoted it per person.

simple rule whatever they say is the complete opposite of what can happen.

Your conjecture is no better than the scientists'. I don't like them because they have a tendency to make sweeping generalizations, like this one I'm making here, and exactly like the one you just made, except you added a "can" in there for no apparent reason, unless you had the intent to make my head rupture with the confusing nature of your post. All generalizations are false, even this one.

Moving on, you do make a good point-Almost all the crap scientists predict is complete bull***t. Scientists should stick to science and keep their grubby little fingers away from prediction. All scientific fact is based upon scientific study, the kind that includes controlled variables, which is just the thing scientist can not calculate when predicting the future-Variables. Most of the theories on the future start off by saying something like "If we continue on this course..." Well, no ***t we won't stay on this course! They assume the unassumable, that things won't change. Things constantly change, but they just go right along with their half thought out plans and bullheaded stubborness.

*A message to anyone who thinks that they can predict the future.* GO AWAY.

sound advice that

anyone ill, stop taking your medication! it's making you worse....

:indeed:

have you never seen adverts for drugs in the us. When I was there last year, it stated on this advert for cough medicine that the following could happen:

blindness

hair loss

headaches

nausea

and a few others beside those mentioned

if scientists had abit more sense they would test all these drugs on animals before giving them to us.

I blame it on greenpeace, their the ones who are fucking destroying the plannet. They find a scientist and create hype hurting us in the end. Just lock them up.

have you never seen adverts for drugs in the us. When I was there last year, it stated on this advert for cough medicine that the following could happen:

blindness

hair loss

headaches

nausea

and a few others beside those mentioned

if scientists had abit more sense they would test all these drugs on animals before giving them to us.

I blame it on greenpeace, their the ones who are fucking destroying the plannet. They find a scientist and create hype hurting us in the end. Just lock them up.

Erm, pretty much every medicine can have side effects. Keyword: can.

These things have been tested, which is why they know these things might happen, even if it's only to a really small percentage of people. They just have to include it.

And you make scientists sound like crazy people, when in my opinion you are the more crazy one...