NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

The evolution of this forum

Hey all this is probably going to be one of those random threads where I just yabba on but I have been thinking about doing it for a while so here goes.

Some on here may know me from the cube-europe days where I was very active others may not but what I remember was in the early days of CE it was a very mixed place the forum still seemed to be in its early days we were all pretty much fanboys, we had loads of threads about the same things and the place was a mess but it soon got sorted out thanks to the great moderation and people wising up this place had become the place it is today.

I've lately been visiting the official xbox forum and boy oh boy does that place show you how great it is here. Theres a million topics on the same thing most are fanboys and if they're not they're accusing other people. Every thread turns into a full blown argument over something silly like spelling.

And then for me the most annoying the million anti EA/Game threads. Those I find the most annoying yes we know Game are expensive and yes we know most EA games aren't to good but they cry about it so much its like a place full of girls.

Anywho for those silly enough to read all of that feel free to add maybe even check out the Xbox forum to show you how great this one is

I don't really think I was ever wishing the forums would become more like they are now. I feel these forums have quietened down and a lot of the fairly intelligent humour has left. Also there's far more people who think they're wittier than they are, posting irritating one line posts such as "in before lock", "QFT ten chars" and "NO WAI O RLY YA RLY!". People haven't noticed that none of this crap is funny, and it's really degrading these forums. On top of that, I miss a lot of people, Jim, the Uber l33ts, Robb, GKB, pdhq64, Gerben, Schpick... the list is a long one. But I guess that part's just nostalgia.

However back in the days of late n64/early cube, we were all hyped about the Gamecube launch. I don't know if the hype for the Wii is the same, because I don't frequent the Wii boards the way I once religiously floated towards Gamecube Discussion for the latest bit of exciting news. Those days were great, I loved the boards back then, I loved the signature/avatar competitions in gen chit chat, I loved designing my first sig, I loved talking about who was going to be in SSBM and deciding on our launch games for the GC.

Perhaps it's because being here is more of a job now, having to weed out the idiots rather than simply flinging insults at them and getting reprimanded myself, but I think the boards are in a slump at the moment thanks to a large number of self proclaimed "funny boys".

I don't really think I was ever wishing the forums would become more like they are now. I feel these forums have quietened down and a lot of the fairly intelligent humour has left. Also there's far more people who think they're wittier than they are, posting irritating one line posts such as "in before lock", "QFT ten chars" and "NO WAI O RLY YA RLY!". People haven't noticed that none of this crap is funny, and it's really degrading these forums. On top of that, I miss a lot of people, Jim, the Uber l33ts, Robb, GKB, pdhq64, Gerben, Schpick... the list is a long one. But I guess that part's just nostalgia.

However back in the days of late n64/early cube, we were all hyped about the Gamecube launch. I don't know if the hype for the Wii is the same, because I don't frequent the Wii boards the way I once religiously floated towards Gamecube Discussion for the latest bit of exciting news. Those days were great, I loved the boards back then, I loved the signature/avatar competitions in gen chit chat, I loved designing my first sig, I loved talking about who was going to be in SSBM and deciding on our launch games for the GC.

Perhaps it's because being here is more of a job now, having to weed out the idiots rather than simply flinging insults at them and getting reprimanded myself, but I think the boards are in a slump at the moment thanks to a large number of self proclaimed "funny boys".

Are you having a laugh! Is he having a laugh! Sorry :D

These forums arent as magic as they used to be for me. In the days of Apple and that Zeik guy? casuing havoc. And Svt 4 him etc. Then the games I used to make which were fun although I never finished them. And the uber leets meet up threads. Oh also Athriller in the Metal gear theread I loved reading his posts.

On the other hand I have made friends with a few people from this board through msn recently which is classic stuff. I think when the Wii comes out things may get better. Dante is the highlight in that board. Becasue tbh at the moment the Wii boards 100% VERIFIABLY REAL DEAL DEFInATLY ON MY MUMS GRAVE I SWEAR TO GOD want to make me be sick. Although they are quite funny.

So yeh some good and some bad. I wish bowser 57 would stop being so unsociable though oh crap flaming crusade means we wont be seeing him for an age. :cry:

You know, I was thinking just yesterday that we haven't had a thread like this for ages. We have them every once in a while, basically people being nostalgic. We (on the whole) have a pretty good usergroup here, and as you said, this is like heaven compared to official forums.

I was never a proper forum user in the old days so don't know, but this is definitely a good forum to be on. Sure, it could be funnier, and we could have some better threads but you get some right dickheads on other forums. I'm a member of Spurs Community and let me tell you, as that forum has grown and grown the site has gone downhill. Used to be loads of funny members, and it was a joy to go on and chat all day, but now there's a different N00b day in day out saying stupid stuff about how shit something is, then it's great, then shit again.

I do think some people need to take some comments a little lighter though. I've lost count of the ammount of comments 3rdChildren has made only to be slated when he was joking.

I do agree about the Wii forum lacking a little hype. But what I love about this forum is coming on and chatting about the other consoles aswell. I'd rather be in the 360 thread than on an Xbox forum.

C-E was awesome, I remember originally getting banned, then coming back under a different moniker, then getting my username back after making friends with Dennis (Blackbird) on IRC.

I enjoy this forum because it is not too lively or not too quiet.everyone seems to know everyone here.it feels nice.I used to be a dedicated member of the gamespot forums.but it was far too fanboyish and i just didn't bother anymore with it.too many members isn't really that good.

I enjoy this forum because it is not too lively or not too quiet.everyone seems to know everyone here.it feels nice.I used to be a dedicated member of the gamespot forums.but it was far too fanboyish and i just didn't bother anymore with it.too many members isn't really that good.

Yeah thats what happened on Spurs Community.

I'm with shorty here. I don't know why but ever since the transition to the new forums, people have been more aggressive, more willing to insult others then help them. Normally the work of a couple of smart-asses who I won't name. The "funny boys" as shorty describes them also annoy me.

I remember there was a period about a year before RE4 came out, and there was all that speculating going on about it. There was a nice unity at that time, I don't know, it just seems different.

I remember the cube-europe battle royale thread. I wasn't part of it, but it was funny to read. Though the quite recent "hey guyz can u hlp me plz" thread was hilarious. Maybe i'm just looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses.

I'd say it's gone down since coming here, just a little. Then it has steadily been going down since the Meaningless post thread has come along, I'd say it has advertised spam into conversation. It's still the best Nintendo forum on the web though.

I was thinking about that a few days ago. These forums are generally great because most people (everybody actually) here aren't ignorant fanboys that treat this forum like their own blog... Since the C-E days a lot of people here have grown up a bit too so discussion is generally good and funny :)

Love being on these forums :kiss:

It's probably the ebst forum i have found, but the Wii boards mainly, ahve gone a little downhill.

"OMFG, 2 Expensive"

"Character doesn't look exactly the same as last time, not good enough"

and other general whining.

It's probably the ebst forum i have found, but the Wii boards mainly, ahve gone a little downhill.

"OMFG, 2 Expensive"

"Character doesn't look exactly the same as last time, not good enough"

and other general whining.

Basicaly they've become MKII of the GC forums on C-E, General board is still all gravy though, although its been a bit quiet recently.

This forum is one of the best around, simple. Yes the rules do seem to get broken quite abit, and yes now and again debates get alittle "heated", however I've been on many forums and i must say that the repect shown for other peoples opinons is much better here.

I suppose there is no real reason behind it and i don't beleive the forum is going downhill at all. I do think that maybe now and again certain moderaters should remain neutral and not be bais towards certain members.

Also, i need to have a offical ceremony becomming forum pope.

Yep, I also agree with the downhill thing. Only person who's actually making any worthy discussion take place in the Wii board is Dante with his news posting.

I used to post a lot more on the old boards, but now I just seem to skim the topics and not bother posting as there really isn't much to say. Maybe it's because I have less time nowadays to spend posting on here, and with neogaf really being the no.1 place for games news and for actually laughing at quite a few threads I don't see much reason to frequent this place as much as I used to.

Also, i need to have a offical ceremony becomming forum pope.

As Forum God, I declare that the ceremony shall take place on the eve of Wii. I will now add this to the calendar.

I think this forum does a good job of keeping the shaming/flaming/blaming to a minimum, and therefore succeds where others fail.

Then it has steadily been going down since the Meaningless post thread has come along.

It needs to go.

Err, would you rather the crap thats posted in the meaningless post thread be posted in the normal threads?

I think each internet forum community has a personality of its own. And just as the personality of a town/city can change over time so will an internet community's. We have a good bunch of folks on here lets all give each other a nice big hug!

Obviously the forum is shitter than it used to be, as the old characters actually get a life and disappear, the new ones rise up trying to take their place. Failing miserably of course.

Sign in to follow this