NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pyxis

PS3 news article: Nintendo shaking in their boots

Sony steals the march over Microsoft and Nintendo

In a bold move, Sony has created ripples in the online service gaming industry, by launching it's highly awaited but under wraps online service next-gen console, PlayStation 3, Sony has certainly sprung a surprise in more ways than one.

Details of the features that equip PS3 were revealed in a press release from Sony's headquarters in London, UK. This was to be expected since the PS3 launch in North America and Japan is just a few weeks away.

Sony's PS3 bears marked resemblance to its own existing gaming device, PlayStation Portable. Gamers who are familiar with PSP will find that the user interface for PS3 is the same with the identical menu structure, a horizontal strip of icons with vertical listing of detailed menu options and even the same icons. The built-in web browser is another common feature between PS3 and PSP. Additional features in PS3 gamers to maintain a record of wins and losses by creating additional online profiles and also maintain 'friend status' through a Friends Button. These features already exist in Sony's fierce competitor in this field which is Microsoft Xbox Live.

The biggest surprise has been saved by Sony in pricing the PS3. In a daring move, Sony is offering the web browser for free which is sure to make the guys at Nintendo sweat since they only have a limited offer going with the Wii's optional Opera browser.

Sony is offering the service free which includes connecting to the PS3's online network, using matchmaking services, voice chat and playing multiplayer games. The only cost element applies to MMORPGS and other games. Since Microsoft's Xbox Live is certainly not a free service, this move by Sony is bound to shake things up in the online gaming industry.

So where is Sony planning to make money on the PS3? Keen watchers of the tussle between the two giants say that Sony is banking on online transactions of the game and music content to rake in the profits. Unlike Xbox Live, gamers will not have the option to exchange points for games or rewards. For a pre-determined fee, gamers can purchase rewards from the PS3 online service. These purchases are funded from the Wallet that stores cash which each player has banked, using a web-based 'shopping cart' interface.

On offer here is not only regular stuff like new cars and tracks in new Gran Turismo games but game demos and digital music from Sony Connect.

Industry watchers wait at the edge of their seats to see what Microsoft's reaction to this move by Sony will be. In the meantime, predictions are already being made that Sony will definitely outsell Nintendo's WII by 2007. Though WII currently dominates with cumulative sales figures of 5.13m over Sony's 4.13m units, the price war is going to benefit Sony in the next year. While gamers can rejoice at this unexpected bonanza from Sony, it will take a while to see how successfully PS3 functions and performs in the long run.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/9464.html

----------------------------------------

:bowdown: :bowdown: :laughing: :laughing:

While gamers can rejoice at this unexpected bonanza from Sony

a free browser? music, photos, videos and games stored on a hard drive? high definition display? the ability to purchase gameplay in increments?

Rejoice! the PS3 can do what your computer already does!

Yes...I'm sure Nintendo is SOOO scared about PS3s free online browser; I'm sure they're crying their lil eyes out:indeed:

47482688_cfef1c53cb.jpg

I don't care why you posted that, but there's saliva building up inside my mouth, which is open, and I feel light headed:love:

Aaah, bless you 'bookerman for standing by your word. We need more 'Sony are stupid' threads stat.

I doubt Nintendo are really going to be pissing themselves about the free browser bombshell, but it does seem Sony are putting a bit of effort into their online service. As for the last paragraph, I'd like to see where these predictions are coming from, they have all accuracy of Mystic Meg.

The fanboy-ness is making my eyes bleed.:cry:

Now for a few comments (I'll try to be fairly fair).

Sony is offering the service free which includes connecting to the PS3's online network, using matchmaking services, voice chat and playing multiplayer games. The only cost element applies to MMORPGS and other games. Since Microsoft's Xbox Live is certainly not a free service, this move by Sony is bound to shake things up in the online gaming industry.

Yes, but it's Microsoft have more experience, and it's reliable and works well. People wouldn't pay the fee if it didn't work properly.

On offer here is not only regular stuff like new cars and tracks in new Gran Turismo games but game demos and digital music from Sony Connect.

You have to pay for demos. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR DEMOS!

What does the phrase "fucking retarded" mean to you?

And I can get music free off Limewire.

Industry watchers wait at the edge of their seats to see what Microsoft's reaction to this move by Sony will be.

Are they? I watch the industry, and my butt appears to be firmly planted on my seat, thank you...

Before you say "it's an expression", a word of advice: don't.

In the meantime, predictions are already being made that Sony will definitely outsell Nintendo's WII by 2007. Though WII currently dominates with cumulative sales figures of 5.13m over Sony's 4.13m units, the price war is going to benefit Sony in the next year.

First thing's first, it's spelt Wii.

Who the hell is making these predictions? How much where they paid by Sony?

Oh, and how can a product that hasn't gone on sale sell 5.13 million (or 4.13, for that matter)?

How can the price benefit Sony? They are already loosing money with the current price tag. Less people are going to buy it as the few rich fanboys will get it, be disappointed, and go "OMG Wii is still crap they stole all of Sony's ideas!!!1"

The people will go out and buy a Wii, to see what all the fuss is about.

Even is that dosen't happen, the statement "the price war is going to benefit Sony in the next year" is pure bollocks.

While gamers can rejoice at this unexpected bonanza from Sony, it will take a while to see how successfully PS3 functions and performs in the long run.

Yes, it was most unexpected. Thing is, if you are rich enough th buy the console and the games, you would be rich enough to pay the fees for online.

Rant over.

Boy, that was some satisfying flaming.

Sony will definitely outsell Nintendo's WII by 2007.

You heard the man, people. PS3 has already won. Now let's start saving for a $1000 PS4.

I wonder how much Sony payed him....

Also, about that girl....

I came twice...

Edit: Make it 3...

Aaah, bless you 'bookerman for standing by your word. We need more 'Sony are stupid' threads stat.

Bonus point to you:P

That's why he's a stupid writer :p

Saying that the WII will be outsold in 2007 is not stupidity, I call it genius. Ladies and gentlemen, Alan Cross is Einstein reincarnated.

Check the comments for a response from me...

Though WII currently dominates with cumulative sales figures of 5.13m over Sony's 4.13m units, the price war is going to benefit Sony in the next year. While gamers can rejoice at this unexpected bonanza from Sony, it will take a while to see how successfully PS3 functions and performs in the long run.

I noticed that this paragraph has mysteriously disappeared from the main article. Couldn't have anything to do with it being entirely fictional could it?

Only time will tell. There's no doubt that the Wii will sell more this year because well, there is only 400,000 units of Playstation 3s. If it didn't then I certainly would class that as a fuck up.

I'm fed up of all this bollocks about each console now. I'm just gonna sit back and play all of them like a happy chappy. Then see who "won" in 6 years time when the next lot come out.

Only time will tell. There's no doubt that the Wii will sell more this year because well, there is only 400,000 units of Playstation 3s. If it didn't then I certainly would class that as a fuck up.

I'm fed up of all this bollocks about each console now. I'm just gonna sit back and play all of them like a happy chappy. Then see who "won" in 6 years time when the next lot come out.

Yes, although, i wont stroke as much.

Sign in to follow this