N-Europe

Virtual Console - All you need to know

Tellyn

What is the Virtual Console?

The Virtual Console is a download service for the Wii that allows you to download new games and retro games from a back-catalogue of Nintendo consoles and formerly competing consoles. The games, once downloaded for a fee, will be playable via an SD card in the Wii or saved onto the Wii's internal 512MB flash memory, playable through the Wii Channels. If the memory ever fills up, a player can delete a game and re-download it at a later date for no added fee. Virtual Console games saved to SD cards cannot be played on another Wii other than the one it was downloaded to. If a console breaks, Nintendo will offer support on recovering the games.

Atlus, Namco Bandai, Banpresto, Capcom, Chunsoft, D4 Enterprise, Enterbrain, HAL Laboratory, Irem, Jaleco, KEMCO, Koei, Konami, NCS Masaya, Netfarm, Paon, Rocket Company, Square Enix, Sunsoft, Taito, Takara TOMY and Tecmo have pledged their support to the Virtual Console, joining Hudson Soft (who are planning to bring 100 titles to the Virtual Console) and Sega. Midway are also planning to bring retro Mortal Kombat games to the Virtual Console.

Games will be bought by the purchase of Wii Points cards from retailers, which are then redeemed for games in the Wii Shop Channel. Games downloaded will be region specific, Japanese and American games cannot be downloaded onto a PAL (UK) console.

Satoru Iwata has stated that new titles could be developed and sold for £2-£5 (¥500-¥1000, $4-$9), and free downloads may be offered with the purchase of certain Wii titles.

Games that are downloaded will come with a free digital instruction manual. It has been stated by Nintendo that new games will be released every Monday after the Wii launch in America, and every Friday for Europe.

A new feature in the Virtual Console games is that when you exit the game by clicking the Home button on the Wii Remote, a suspend point is created which allows you to play from exactly the same place where you left the game.

UK and European Virtual Console Releases

Nintendo Entertainment System (500 Wii Points - £3.50 - €5)

The Legend of Zelda - Out Now

Mario Bros. - Out Now

Donkey Kong - Out Now

Wario's Woods - Out Now

Pinball - Out Now

Urban Champion - Out Now

Solomon's Key - Out Now

Donkey Kong Jr. - Out Now

Super Mario Bros. - Out Now

Soccer - Out Now

Tennis - Out Now

Baseball - Out Now

Ice Hockey - Out Now

Xevious - Out Now

Gradius - Out Now

Kid Icarus - Out Now

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Out Now

Kirby's Adventure - Out Now

Excitebike - Out Now

Punch-Out!! - Out Now

Galaga - Out Now

Ice Climber - Out Now

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Out Now

Castlevania - Out Now

Elevator Action - April 2007

Duck Hunt - 2007

Hogan's Alley - 2007

Pro Wrestling - 2007

Wild Gunman - 2007

Dr. Mario - 2007

Mighty Bomb Jack - 2007

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels - 2007

Super Mario Bros. 3 - 2007

Wild Gunman - 2007

Metroid - TBA

Samurai Shodown Series- TBA

Ninja Gaiden - TBA

Rygar - TBA

Tecmo Super Bowl - TBA

NES Open Tournament Golf - TBA

Spy vs. Spy - TBA

Mach Rider - TBA

The Adventures of Lolo - TBA

Mario and Yoshi - TBA

Shadow Warriors - TBA

Pac-Man - TBA

Super Mario Bros. 2 - TBA

Donkey Kong Jr. Math - TBA

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (800 Wii Points - £5.60 - €8)

F-Zero - Out Now

Donkey Kong Country - Out Now

Super Castlevania IV - Out Now

SimCity - Out Now

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior - Out Now

Super Probotector: Alien Rebels - Out Now

Super Mario World - Out Now

R-Type III: The Third Lightning - Out Now

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Out Now

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Out Now

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Out Now

Pilotwings - 2007

Super Metroid - 2007

Kirby's Dream Land 3 - 2007

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 2007

Kirby's Fun Pak - 2007

Gradius III - 2007

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire - 2007

Zombies Ate My Neighbours - 2007

Super Metroid - TBA

Super Mario Kart - TBA

Super R-Type - TBA

ActRaiser - TBA

Final Fight - TBA

Nintendo 64 (1,000 Wii Points - £7 - €10)

Super Mario 64 - Out Now

Mario Kart 64 - Out Now

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Out Now

Lylat Wars - 2007

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - TBA

Wave Race 64 - TBA

ShadowMan 64 - TBA

Aerofighters Assault - TBA

Beetle Adventure Racing - TBA

Shadowman - TBA

Sega Mega Drive / Genesis (800 Wii Points - £5.60 - €8)

Ecco the Dolphin - Out Now

Altered Beast - Out Now

Golden Axe - Out Now

Sonic the Hedgehog - Out Now

Columns - Out Now

Ristar - Out Now

Gunstar Heroes - Out Now

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Out Now

ToeJam & Earl - Out Now

Space Harrier II - Out Now

Gain Ground - Out Now

Bonanza Bros. - Out Now

Comix Zone - Out Now

Streets of Rage - Out Now

Bio-Hazard Battle - Out Now

Sword of Vermilion - Out Now

Sonic Spinball - Out Now

Vectorman - Out Now

The Story of Thor - Out Now

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle - 2007

Alien Storm - 2007

Shining Force - 2007

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 2007

OutRun - TBA

Turbografx (600 Wii Points unless otherwise stated - £4.20 - €6)

Bonk's Adventure - Out Now

Super Star Soldier - Out Now

Victory Run - Out Now

Bomberman '93 - Out Now

Dungeon Explorer - Out Now

Alien Crush - Out Now

Military Madness - Out Now

R-Type - Out Now - (800 Wii Points)

Motoroader - Out Now

Soldier Blade - Out Now

Vigilante - Out Now

New Adventure Island - Out Now

Double Dungeons - Out Now

Dragon's Curse - Out Now

Chew Man Fu - Out Now

Splatterhouse - Out Now

Bonk's Revenge - 13 April 2007

Battle Lode Runner - April 2007

Bonk III: Bonk's Big Adventure - TBA

Neutopia - TBA

MSX (800 Wii Points - £5.60 - €8)

Eggy - TBA

Aleste - TBA

Neo-Geo (800 Wii Points - £5.60 - €8)

TBA

Commodore 64 (TBA Wii Points - £TBA - €TBA)

Impossible Mission - April 2007

The Last Ninja - 2007

Impossible Mission II - TBA

Winter Games - TBA

California Games (including Summer Games I and II) - TBA

Pitstop - TBA

Jumpman Jr. - TBA

Other games/consoles and indie developed games

IGN Game - TBA - (500 Wii Points - £3.50 - €5)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that Wiis Virtual Console worldlist goes like this:

Europe:

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super NES

Mega Drive

Commodore 64

N64

US:

TurboGrafx-16

Nintendo Entertainment System

Super NES

Genesis

N64

Japan:

Famicom

Super Famicom

MSX

N64

Mega Drive

PC Engine

Also the other games list are all nes games.

Epyx is bringing C64 games for European VC, and first games should appear in december. One good thing with emulating C64 games is that you don't need to worry about loading times anymore. :)

lol ah i remember those.So much memories,my first console(even though i never owned it my brother did)

one thing c64 trashed nes in was music!.Classics on c64,brilliant sound quality for it's time

what commodre 64 is on vc?Wow how would that work?Great news lol i didnt know that.anyone play creature.Very fun

Apparently so, it was announced the other week. I'm expecting GB/GBC games aswell next year to download onto the DS, then upload the saves back to the Wii. Dreamcast games could be possible... Maybe Sega will just decide to release them on bigger SD cards? Sega Saturn will probably get put onto the VC at some point. The Amiga is expected.

I'm currently updating the first post with pictures.

About Dreamcast games, Sega used GD-ROM that is similar to the standard CD-ROM except that the pits on the disc are packed more closely together, resulting in a higher storage capacity: around 1.2 gigabytes.

The proprietary GD-ROM format was the only means of piracy protection and was quickly defeated. Using a combination of reverse-engineering and insecure firmware, one piracy method was made possible by the existence of regular-CD booting code in the Dreamcast BIOS to enable multimedia functions (called Mil-CD) for music CD releases on the Japanese market. Mil-CD support was removed from the final Dreamcast revisions, but piracy is often cited as one of the major reasons for the failure of the Dreamcast.

Despite this discovery, making perfect copies was not possible. While several games never came close to using the full capacity of a 1.1 GB GD-ROM, other games did and sometimes required more than one disc to contain the entire game. Games that did take advantage of the GD-ROM's extra capacity required some tinkering from hackers; the most common method was to downsample the video and audio portions of the disc to a lower bitrate, so they would take up less space. Although this method was usually successful, a few games, most noticeably Shenmue II and Sonic Adventure, were missing sound and sometimes video on pirated versions through the process of "ripping", used in this context to mean completely removing some parts of a game's audio and video, because they were simply too large to downgrade with any success.

Which means no Dreamcast games on VC. :sad:

That's a shame about the Dreamcast games. Though I didn't understand it, do you think they could release them on Wii discs?

Maybe if Sega gives out hardware code and games code but I dont understand it as well really Tellyn888.

Some good information there tellyn888. Would you stick the € prices in too? €5 €8 and €10 I believe.

Yep, I'm sorry about that, I was going to update that earlier. I'll put the US$ AU$, Yen and Euros up.

EDIT: Prices fixed.

great thread.

This virtual console thing is shapping up pretty well, now Nintendo just needs to spill the beans about this.

Virtual console needs games like earthbound NES, Final Fantasy 6 (3 in US), Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Fire emblem's and Super Mario RPG, otherwise it's of little value. (for me)

Good thread, I voted five stars for it. :)

I already ordered 2000 VC points for my Wii launch bundle, but I don't know what I'll spend it on. I read somewhere you can buy additional Wii Channels for VC points as well.

I might be interested in Mario games I don't have (like SMB3 and SM64, I wish I hadn't sold SM64!), but I'm really interested to see what SNES games there are. There were so many strong classics on that console, especially when it came to RPGs.