N-Europe

Mario Strikers Charged Football

EchoDesiato

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm am still undecided, even after reading ONM a ltitle earlier. I felt it didn't really go into enough detail about anything.

However, if I can get my brother on board then I predict I will bite the bullet and preorder the game next week from Play.com. If that is the case, then definitely count me in for a tournament as I would really like that!

Can people who are interested in doing a friendly Tourney say so here,and if they're going to get it at launch (or before)

Want to try and start the planning :heh:

Yeah sounds good - mines already preoredered from choices so hoping to get it through the post on day of release - not long till the online Wii frenzy begins!

EDGE gave it 6.

From their review...

"The eventful minutes-long matches and frantic to-and-fro make Mario Strikers a suitable curtain-raiser for online gaming on the Wii, but a balanced and deep extreme sports game this is not, lacking the fine checks and balances of, say, EA's NBA Street. It's a decent investment for multiplayer enthusiasts, but as Nintendo's hesitant toe-dipping in the online ocean goes, Mario Kart DS was a far more auspicious start."

EDGE gave it 6.

From their review...

"The eventful minutes-long matches and frantic to-and-fro make Mario Strikers a suitable curtain-raiser for online gaming on the Wii, but a balanced and deep extreme sports game this is not, lacking the fine checks and balances of, say, EA's NBA Street. It's a decent investment for multiplayer enthusiasts, but as Nintendo's hesitant toe-dipping in the online ocean goes, Mario Kart DS was a far more auspicious start."

Now dont panic - and let's put this into context - Super Paper Mario scored a 7 in Edge and we all know that it's a great game so for Mario Strikers to get a 6 still sounds like a good game to me!

I'll wait for more reviews to come rolling in but I'm still confident this game will deliver. : peace:

I have mine on preorder and would be up for a tournament!

Maybe, now we have online, we should have a tournaments forum? It would save things like this from getting lost in the melee that is Wii Discussion! I can see this being repeated for SSBB for example.

All that is needed is a topic in the Online Board for discussions about the games we have and then a table of results and stats can be posted either at the start of that topic or in a new topic in the High Scores Board.

I suppose that's true, I'd forgotten about the online board. I just want a new forum for every conceivable topic under the sun ;)

Now dont panic - and let's put this into context - Super Paper Mario scored a 7 in Edge and we all know that it's a great game so for Mario Strikers to get a 6 still sounds like a good game to me!

I'll wait for more reviews to come rolling in but I'm still confident this game will deliver. : peace:

Selective interpretation is just deluding yourself. This game is pretty average if you see all the marks coming in. It should still be fun but don't expect a Smash Bros. or Mario Kart from this one.

Ehm... Reviews so far have been from very questionable sources. Ngamer ranked the GameCube version higher, and EDGE can suck MB.

Alot of previews have been very positive, even IGN who rated the original 7.6, said Strikers was a clear improvement.

It wasn't the UK Ngamer who reviewed it. (so we don't know if they ranked the GC one higher)

It wasn't the UK Ngamer who reviewed it. (so we don't know if they ranked the GC one higher)

Dutch [N]Gamer rated the GameCube version with an 8, and reading their MS:C review they had good reason to rate Charged lower than Smash Football.

You can dismiss all the low scores and praise all the high scores because you want it to be good, but that doesn't mean the game actually is good.

Dutch [N]Gamer rated the GameCube version with an 8, and reading their MS:C review they had good reason to rate Charged lower than Smash Football.

You can dismiss all the low scores and praise all the high scores because you want it to be good, but that doesn't mean the game actually is good.

I didn't know that, I thought it was the UK NGamer who gave it a 8.

Dismissing it for a higher review... I dunno, I'm not going for either; 6.5 makes me wonder what were they expecting, things like "the single player is short", I don't know how much, but that's kinda to be expected right? The game isn't PES. And if the game is essentially a mario footbal + it's better than the first already, although the main reason for people to buy this one (having the prequel) lies in the online mode they haven't tested.

NOM's Official magazine giving it a 91%, well it's too high we know other reviews will be lower. That said I expect european reviews to be higher, and US to be worse.

But I hope they don't go (at least in Europe) for the 6.5; 7.5/8.0 seems about right for me.

So everyone who disagrees with [N]Gamer is wrong?

Nobody is picking their favorite point of view but you.

So everyone who disagrees with [N]Gamer is wrong?

Nobody is picking their favorite point of view but you.

Not really. I just said they had good arguments - I'm one of the few on this forum able to read the review and [N]Gamer is a top quality magazine with excellent reviewers; they have credibility in my book. I don't blindly take their opinion, but I value it and so should you. I can tell you that a 6.5 from [N]Gamer is probably a better indication than a 91% from ONM.

I'm not attacking the game because I haven't actually played it, but I feel that some of you dismiss a review too easily if it the grade it gives doesn't match the idea of the game you had in your mind.

I'm not attacking the game because I haven't actually played it, but I feel that some of you dismiss a review too easily if it the grade it gives doesn't match the idea of the game you had in your mind.

If they don't have enough time to try out all the game's features, why should we listen to the review.

Most Excite Truck reviews said that it was "too short" and "not much longetivity"...A lot of people here think otherwise.

If they don't have enough time to try out all the game's features, why should we listen to the review.
They didn't need to go online to notice that the gameplay in general showed no progress in comparison to Smash Football and the game mechanics were slightly flawed and seemed rushed.

Having said that, all reviews before 25th haven't played the online mode because it doesn't work yet.

Look, I'm not giving an opinion about the quality of the game - your Excite Truck point is entirely valid; the game can just as easily be excellent whilst gather average reviews. That doesn't mean those reviews that give the game the average marks are bad; I'm getting the impression that some people have decided that this game is a good game, and every review that suggests otherwise is a bad review. It doesn't work that way.

I'm very undecided about this, in EDGE's review they did say the game was very unbalanced by the presence of the Mega Strikes which gives the striker the chances to score 5 (?) goals, means games can turn right round in the last second..

Having said this I will likely still get it, love football and never got into an online game really properly...but this could be it...

I'm very undecided about this, in EDGE's review they did say the game was very unbalanced by the presence of the Mega Strikes which gives the striker the chances to score 5 (?) goals, means games can turn right round in the last second..

Having said this I will likely still get it, love football and never got into an online game really properly...but this could be it...

And once you get into the online mode,you'll want to take part in the N-E Tournament *nudge nudge*

Perhaps it's how the devs want it... I mean... Mario Kart races can be like that.

That's why it's so fun in multiplayer actually, even a newbye can screw us over if he gets some blue shells :D

Those kinds of 50:50 odds and luck fit in some games.

Perhaps it's how the devs want it... I mean... Mario Kart races can be like that.

That's why it's so fun in multiplayer actually, even a newbye can screw us over if he gets some blue shells :D

Those kinds of 50:50 odds and luck fit in some games.

Yeah yeah true...I guess for some people that kinda thing isn't acceptable, I think for a football game it could be kinda unbalanced and lead to announces...we really won't be able to tell for ourselves until we all get the game...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!