Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sig / Avatar request thread [Read first post before requesting]

RedShell

AHHHHHH! As hard as I try, I just can't seem to make a transparent image! As you can see in my avatar, my effort in creating a background-less tonberry has failed :(! This is what I did.

-Used Magic Wand to select background,and then used Select>Inverse to select the main picture (tonberry).

-Used Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+N to create a new transparent image with the same dimensions as my selected area. Used Ctrl+V to paste it on.

-Went to File>Save For Web and save it as a gif.

Please someone tell me what Im doing wrong as Im a n00b at photoshop who wants to learn.

You're doing everything right until you save. Once you have the image with the transparent background, click the rectangular button at the bottom of the toolbar which will take you into Image ready (it comes with photoshop). Then click file>save optimised as... and save as a gif.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's definately checked. I checked some online tutorials and they tell me that i should use either the lasso or the path selection tool to trace my image (rather than use magic wand). Do you think this would affect anything?

Yeah it's definately checked. I checked some online tutorials and they tell me that i should use either the lasso or the path selection tool to trace my image (rather than use magic wand). Do you think this would affect anything?

Are you sure you selected "save optimised as" rather than "save as"? It's a different option entirely, much further down the file menu.

Thanks cubechris! although i kinda wanted to learn myself (i guess im just useless at photoshop).

anyway looks great thanks (i promise there will be no more sig/avatar requests from me for a good while, you guys go too far to help people like me out, i guess this forum is just full of cool people!).

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!