NEurope
Razz

Demo Discs.

Seeing as now that Nintendo is using standard DVD format for its games discs (unlike the cute lil gamecube discs ^_^ ) Does this mean that we'll be seeing more demo discs around? Now I know that Nintendo has said that it doesnt really like th whole demo thing, but recently with the DS it has been possible to download/send demos so their outlook has changed. What do you think?

Yeah, they cant miss this opportunity, this is the only thing that's been sorely lacking from Ninty consoles before.

I think it is more likely Demos will be downloaded via Nintendo's Online service and Connect24.

I think it is more likely Demos will be downloaded via Nintendo's Online service and Connect24.

I meant more like promotional content given at events and from Magazines and stuff.

I hope magazines give out demos. It's something the N64 and GC never did, so hopefully ONM and NGamer could give some out :D

It would be cool if they did make demos but even if Nintendo themselfs decided not to, third party companys could.

Remember when NGC magazine had a splinter cell demo for the gamecube?

i think it would be cool if Onm got their own devkit, asked on their forums, i went on and they seem to as a lot of questions and do look at their forums, the mag has a 2 page spread on them every week.

so they could ask what kind of game the hsoud make that peopel wil lenjoy, a small game then they could distribute it with the mag, seen as though heyre nintendo's official mag, maybe nintendo will let them do it, give them the right stuff.

If they were quaified that is.

Demo discs would be more than nice, especially as people will be able to feel how the wiimote works with the game before they go and buy it.

I think it would be better if magazines just had promotional codes (specific to each copy, rather than a generic "ONM21" that everyone will share) that lets you open up something exclusive (either permantly or just for a while) from the VC. That way it will keep magazine costs down.

VC seems more usable, less expensive and more frequently available than Demo discs. But I would have no problem with free demo discs either!

I think Demo's would a really good thing especially for the Wii. A lot of people would look at something like Trauma center and think its a little weird and not buy it because they can't imageing it being fun. A demo of a game like that would be perfect to show of how good it is etc

Useing WiFi would be good too, the only reason I can think of them not doing it would be the Wii's memory for saving these demo's.

the main reason nintendo have not been fond of demo's before is that their consoles games were played throught carts and that alone increased the game prices for the N64, so back then demo's would of been out of the question, as the GC was released alot of magazines were releasing DVD's of fottage and some demos around, and this time around they could just give us coupons for download content from Nintendo, im pretty sure nintendo will let that happen for a share of the profit :P

Nintendo Wifi Connection will be your source for Wii and DS demos. (Please make this happen and dont screw this up Nintendo.)

But the Wii only has 512 megs of storage, and I imagine Wii demos will take quite some space, so I doubt there will be downloadable Wii demos.

I think demos are much more likely come in the form of some kind of download service (Although possibly there'll be some promo discs alongside that). Just as a side note, downloadable Wii-format content which can be played from media like SD cards sounds like an easy avenue to explore the possibily of running unsigned code. I think we're going to see homebrew on the Wii much, much sooner and easier than we did on the GC (partially due to the GC's proprietry media and limited connectivity)

It doesnt use a standard DVD format though does it?

Anyway I wouldn't be all that bothered about demo discs I hardly touch them if I get them for PS2 and they end up taking up space.

I can easily imagine the demo system for the Wii working a bit like this:

You would select the demo, and instead of it downloading it, it would stream to your Wii's memory, for example, lets say its a demo of Super Mario Galaxy, and it had two levels and one FMV (maybe), it would first stream the basic data, then the first level (when you complete it, it would be deleted) then an FMV (same as before), then the next level (same as before)...

I can easily imagine the demo system for the Wii working a bit like this:

You would select the demo, and instead of it downloading it, it would stream to your Wii's memory, for example, lets say its a demo of Super Mario Galaxy, and it had two levels and one FMV (maybe), it would first stream the basic data, then the first level (when you complete it, it would be deleted) then an FMV (same as before), then the next level (same as before)...

Yes, that sounds like something nintendo would do. And would be good to have demos available. I always try to try out a game 1st and only after that i buy it.