NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
conzer16

Sony "mylo"

I'm not sure if this has been posted before.

(From www.smh.com.au)

Hoping to tap into the growth of wireless networks across college campuses, other public spaces and within homes, Sony Corp. will announce Tuesday a new pocket-sized gadget for instant messaging and other Internet-based communications.

The Sony mylo, slated for availability in September at a retail price of about $350 (EUR270), is a first-of-its-kind product that uses Wi-Fi networks, analysts say. It is not a cellular phone and thus does not carry monthly service fees.

As long as a Wi-Fi network is accessible, a mylo user could chat away or browse the Web.

The mylo _ which stands for "my life online," _ will be marketed toward 18- to 24-year-olds, the multitasking generation that relies heavily on instant messaging and is already viewing e-mail as passe, Sony said.

sony-mylo.jpg

060809sonymylo.jpg

What do people think?

Sony really need to hire some decent designers...

Also, a few thing i would have to know before i go anywhere near one:

1. Can I get FireFox, or another browser with an AdBlock-like feature on it.

2. Can It "MultiTask"? Eg, browse multiple sites (tabbing), with all the IM clients active (with multiple convos each), and music playing?

Also, why the fuck is the D-pad thing on the wrong side?

It's got a full Opera client on it so you can have tabs and I assume you can multi-task.

You can't connect to MSN with it, only Yahoo or Google Talk, unless you go through one of those sites where you can do it online.

Windows Web Messenger Live ;)

Kinda cool, doesn't look all that nice... hows the battery life?

The price doesn't though. Remember, you need to buy a decent sized memory card on top of the actual console, thing.

For a Sony product, it does actually look quite good.

Sony's products usually are good. They just break too easily.

It's basically a PSP with no games, a better internet browser and IM programs.

So in other words its nothing like a PSP at all.

no UMD support?

I supoose UMD will be joining the likes of minidisk and betamax. Except betamax was good.

Anyway this seems to fill a certain niche. They'll have to lower the price for it to really take off. Most people have a pc to IM, and a mobile for text. It's main competitor is texting, and im not sure at that price it will be able to compete with a strong pre-established market.

no msn messager support (obviously), is also a major downer, its by far the best IM (i prefer the simpliciy of gaim however), and has the largest userbase.

Seems like an uphill struggle for this little critter.

MSN is only the biggest messnger in Europe I think, American's mainly use AIM and Yahoo.... Not sure about the Japanese though.

What do people think?

My first impression was "The music artists/DJ?...."

Looks nice, but wouldn't pay that price for something I'd rarely use. Will be nice when the cheaper knock-offs come out.

I read about that this last week. They said that it was only comming out here in the states. But its Sony so expect it to be crapy and use some new Sony made OS and webbrowser.:hmm::angry:

So in other words its nothing like a PSP at all.

I first saw it on the YouTube Gizmodo review, and I thought it resembled it anyway. You see the PSP already has a browser, MP3 player, image viewer, and .mp4 player. So does the Mylo, except it can't play those games and has a better browser and IM programs.

I read about that this last week. They said that it was only comming out here in the states. But its Sony so expect it to be crapy and use some new Sony made OS and webbrowser.:hmm::angry:

It uses Opera for a web browser, like the DS and Wii do/will.

I first saw it on the YouTube Gizmodo review, and I thought it resembled it anyway. You see the PSP already has a browser, MP3 player, image viewer, and .mp4 player. So does the Mylo, except it can't play those games and has a better browser and IM programs.

Surely it would be cheaper for Sony to include the Mylo features in a PSP update, and advertise the PSP as something that can do all that stuff?

Unless they have given up on the PSP...

Surely it would be cheaper for Sony to include the Mylo features in a PSP update, and advertise the PSP as something that can do all that stuff?

Unless they have given up on the PSP...

The PSP doesn't have a keyboard though, which is the main feature of the Mylo (because of IM'ing).

The idea of having something portable doesn't make sense to me when the world does not yet have easy enough wi-fi access. If you have to take it somewhere specific to use it you might as well get a small notebook. It's not like something you could use to IM on the bus or check your emails after class. If Wi-Fi was everywhere, this and a hundred other similar products, not to mention the DS, would be 100x more popular. It's the same reason I won't be buying Opera DS - if I'm somewhere with wireless access, then I'll have a computer anyway.

Don't really see the point of them saying its an alternative to phones etc, when loads of the new ones now have wlan so you can browse internet fully and use im clients - I'm already doing this with my phone, so why would I wanna waste a crap load of money on something with a bigger screen and a proper keyboard allowing me to save a few sconds?

The way I look it is as a music playing device that can do a lot more, I'm not interested in games, moves music and messenging/browsing will do thanks. The reason there is no MSN is because its not needed, Yahoo can now talk to MSN.

Sony's products usually are good. They just break too easily.

Well, this isnt a fanboy dig by any means but sony make great Tv's DVD players etc its just there consoles that break...

Well, this isnt a fanboy dig by any means but sony make great Tv's DVD players etc its just there consoles that break...

I quite agree, all out tvs are made by Sony and most have lasted atleast 15 years or so with out breaking down once. Which is impressive for a product built nowadays.

This thing seems a bit pointless and doesn't look too great IMO.

Of course , I may be biased , as the day I buy a product that bears Sonys name is the same day that I come home and find a spread-eagled Jessica Alba wearing nothing but a bow on my bed.

Sign in to follow this