NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

Xenon II Megablast's Atari ST intro by Bomb The Bass (The Amiga one was crap in comparison thanks to it's pissy weak sound chip)

Commando on the C64

I haven't played Valkyrie Profile all the way through but I was very impressed with the soundtrack.

Loved both Rez (Adam F's Fear was fantastic in game and always sounds better than the original) And SC5 pts 1 & 2 soundtracks (Mexican Flyer FTW)...

Original Gameboy Tetris, Song C, wins all the time!!

Original Gameboy Tetris, Song C, wins all the time!!

TETRIS FTW, it is a legendary tune, nothing can surpass its brilliance, except maybe Ocarina of Time. :D

I love these posts - anything retro or nastalgic is great with me...however what I also love is music, especially Film and Game music - I have many, many tracks from the titles below (inc remixes and reinterpretations) so here goes....

Classics

Robocop

Amstrad CPC & Speccy - Themain title screen music had nothing to do with Basil Poledouris classic score from the fim but it was a beautifull and haunting piece of music nonetheless. - Especially true as it was coded and rendered on the 8-bit platform.

Sonic2, Streets of Rage 2 & Thunderforce IV

Three of the Megadrives greatest peices of gaming music (in my opinion) - Classic.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3

Absolutely fantastic patriaotic, eerie and climactic orchestral music delivered by Hans Zimmers protege; Harry Gregson-Williams.

God of War

A thunderous and epic soundtrack (as it should be).

Final Fantasy X

Epic and beautifull (especially "Ending Theme" on disc 4 of the album)

Biggest letdowns

Chrono TriggerEveryone always raves about Chrono Trigger when talking about great game music - and while I appreciate its all about specific tastes - I just really couldn't enage with the tracks on any level and found them quite annoying. I must admit while having a quick listen to the tracks again prior to writing this post I keep imagining a player options screen when the Chrono Trigger tracks play especially track 4 Guardia Millenial Fair - Very dissapointed.

Zelda

While I love the games I don't think I can stand to hear that townsville music again. To me the best that Zelda music has ever been was as featured in the Twilight Princess trailer - as Zelda raises the Master Sword out of the ground and the wind is swirling around him... chills man, chills.... now thats EPIC - thats MAJESTY - - otherwise I don;t think thats the Link theme has ever been suitably rendered in as big a way as it should have been - they've all been a bit "hey-ho / so-so" for me.

Peace

Marximus

I love these posts - anything retro or nastalgic is great with me...however what I also love is music, especially Film and Game music - I have many, many tracks from the titles below (inc remixes and reinterpretations) so here goes....

Classics

Robocop

Amstrad CPC & Speccy - Themain title screen music had nothing to do with Basil Poledouris classic score from the fim but it was a beautifull and haunting piece of music nonetheless. - Especially true as it was coded and rendered on the 8-bit platform.

Sonic2, Streets of Rage 2 & Thunderforce IV

Three of the Megadrives greatest peices of gaming music (in my opinion) - Classic.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3

Absolutely fantastic patriaotic, eerie and climactic orchestral music delivered by Hans Zimmers protege; Harry Gregson-Williams.

God of War

A thunderous and epic soundtrack (as it should be).

Final Fantasy X

Epic and beautifull (especially "Ending Theme" on disc 4 of the album)

Biggest letdowns

Chrono TriggerEveryone always raves about Chrono Trigger when talking about great game music - and while I appreciate its all about specific tastes - I just really couldn't enage with the tracks on any level and found them quite annoying. I must admit while having a quick listen to the tracks again prior to writing this post I keep imagining a player options screen when the Chrono Trigger tracks play especially track 4 Guardia Millenial Fair - Very dissapointed.

Zelda

While I love the games I don't think I can stand to hear that townsville music again. To me the best that Zelda music has ever been was as featured in the Twilight Princess trailer - as Zelda raises the Master Sword out of the ground and the wind is swirling around him... chills man, chills.... now thats EPIC - thats MAJESTY - - otherwise I don;t think thats the Link theme has ever been suitably rendered in as big a way as it should have been - they've all been a bit "hey-ho / so-so" for me.

Peace

Marximus

Again you said thunderforce iv and therefore i like you. but myself i think sonic and knuckles had slightly better music than sonic 2 but They were all great.

I always preferred the music in the first metal gear solid to the other 2.

Have you ever played robocop vs terminator for the megadrive?

Robocop%20VS%20Terminator%20%5BEUR%5D.jpg

Have you ever played robocop vs terminator for the megadrive?

QUOTE]

Absolutely - and I have that very version of the game (as much as I'm a Ninty head (kinda) nowadays...that version was the best out there, it kicked all sorts of ass and was bloddy as hell. Sorry SNES purists but your version made Robo look FAT (see image below)

RVT.PNG

See I always back my claims up with evidence (where I can :) )

"We" as in SEGA Megadrive geeks (like me) had the better looking RoboCop you guys had the better Batman from Batman Returns - that was just the rules back in the good ol' days.

I remember I had my mate over for a sleep over with we were about 15/16 or something. I was attempting blast through the game and show him that the final boss (Cyberdyne) was infact a giant T800 head. (He didn't believe me you see) We both did an all nighter just to stay up and see the ending.

I remember giving a running commentary right through the game up until the end credits. I looked over at my mate and the fecker was asleep :(

.......doh!

Peace

Marximus

Ha yes i have played both too. the snes one seems more storybased well...at least it tells you the story but it really isn't that good. i discovered the game was made AFter the megadrive one but it looks and sounds far worse and of course being a nintendo console it had no blood.

The megadrive one was a classic:)

I never thought i'd have this conversation with someone nobody here has heard of the game or the awesome thunderforce iv:)

Absolute Classic games - Although I own these carts any way I do hope they both feature on the VC real soon - that way everone can appreciate how great these are.

I also hope for the games below to feature soon:

• Road Rash Trilogy
  • Flashback and Another World
  • Ranger X

That would be class!

In the meantime I've included some shots of these two mighty games to let everyone in on these gems - that apparantly only we know about

Peace

Marximus

ha well i mentioned the 2 games before and got no reaction(or they are ignoring me either way:))

Is there really any chance for the 2 of them though? Technosoft no longer seem to exist. So that may be a problem

Sorry this isnt as niche as some but I love the music from the Sonic games, even the 360 one!

ESPECIALLY any of the Dr.Robotnik songs (Eggman who?) atm Ive been listening to the Boss Music for "Sonic 3D Flickies Island" (Terrible game, great tunes though!)

Its been on for about 3 days via the sound test screen, LOVE IT!!

:D

Any other Robotnik love?

shadow of the colossus hands down

beautifully crafted power and evocative soundtrack, coincides with your emotions of regret and sorrow.

kow otani is a genius.

final fantasy music cannot go unmentined, kneels to nobou otematsu, he to is a fantastic composer. makes music a big a part of the game as the dialogue.

red steel as much as it pains me to say had a exaggerated, but still very entertaining soundtrack.

Streets of rage 2, it was wwwwaaayyyy ahead of its time and still good to listen to it now, thunderforce 4, megaman, i forget which one it is, i think its from megaman X.......i could cheat and say DJ max portable 2, but thats a music game....so thats unfair :)

I think the best music I've ever heard in a game is Golden Sun. For a Game Boy game, the music was amazing ... sometimes I turn it on just to listen to the file select music! :smile:

And some very honourable mentions for Streets of Rage, Sonic 2 and Super Mario World!

Streets of rage 2, it was wwwwaaayyyy ahead of its time and still good to listen to it now

Ah, always nice to see some Rage lovin'. Revenge of Shinobi has a similar style by the same composer which is also excellent.

I'm currently listening to the soundtrack for the original Phoenix Wright on DS. I totally didn't expect such a good soundtrack for this game.

With regards to the Chronotrigger comments earlier, I find it really difficult to understand how anybody can't see the absolute genius behind it. I appreciate everyone has different tastes but it's like hearing someone say they dislike chocolate.

Playing Chronotrigger was one of the few gaming experiences I've had where I've put the controller down frequently for many hours to just listen to the music. After 30 hours of play, I was still tapping my feet to the combat music, which says something for an RPG.

The End of Time music is perfect in its tranquility, the despair and loss of hope is practically tangible in the Ruins and I still get shivers listening to the Zeal tune. Wow.

Biggest letdowns

Zelda

Peace

Marximus

Prepare to meet your doom!

Sonic and the Secret Rings has some great music, even the main theme once it gets going. Some stupid places in the game they've used it though...

Evil foundry is my fave.

Sonic and the Secret Rings has some great music, even the main theme once it gets going. Some stupid places in the game they've used it though...

Evil foundry is my fave.

I'll have to go with the music from the pirate level myself, although evil foundry was also quite good.

Sorry this isnt as niche as some but I love the music from the Sonic games, even the 360 one!

ESPECIALLY any of the Dr.Robotnik songs (Eggman who?) atm Ive been listening to the Boss Music for "Sonic 3D Flickies Island" (Terrible game, great tunes though!)

Its been on for about 3 days via the sound test screen, LOVE IT!!

:D

Any other Robotnik love?

sonic 1,2 and 3 for the megadrive had great rbotnick boss music..

Especially sonic 3.. they should have kept that one.

Streets of rage 2, it was wwwwaaayyyy ahead of its time and still good to listen to it now, thunderforce 4, megaman, i forget which one it is, i think its from megaman X.......i could cheat and say DJ max portable 2, but thats a music game....so thats unfair :)

SoR2 has an incredible soundtrack. My favourite track would probably stage 7 (the lift part). So bloody good!

Sonic 2 also had a great soundtrack; metropolis and chemical plant both great tunes.

It is only now, after all those years, that I found out that the (original 8-bit) metroid title theme was actually extremely good. I always just used to skip it and immediately get to the game. I am ashamed of myself.