NEurope
Helmsly

Sonic And The Secret Rings

Most fun i've had in ages. It's very basic and it'll no doubt wear thin within hours. But dammit, it makes me grin :D

Just got my first Gold Medal this morning which was nice. I managed to get the first 2 Secret Rings aswell but I havent unlocked the 3rd world yet due to the Egg Carrying Mission in Dino World peeing me off.

I was on that mission for ages.

How do you get past the spiked ball when your in the pot, in pirate islands' die hard challenge?

I was on that mission for ages.

I just left it for now as the story has continued even though I didnt beat that stage. Just unlocked the Pirate World now.

Im finding it hard NOT to level up as you can unlock one of the pages in the Special Book if you beat the game at level 25 or under.

How the **** do you do a backstep? And a turbo start for that matter?

It's explained so badly in the game, or at least I do exactly what it says and it doesn't work!

Turbo? You'll know once you get the ability.

Speed break and Time break they are called.

Back step = hold back on the Wiimote and tap break.

As for getting past pots = You can tilt the Wiimote as you fly up, so you can change its bareing slightly.

It said something like nudge the Wii remote forward for a turbo. Great explanation that was. Keep trying many variations on nudging it forwards, nothing.

Back step, it says quickly press the jump button while moving backwards... tried that, all I do is jump and dash forward.

Nah not impressed with this game. Every world is exactly the same, you just go around in circles either collecting rings or doing something else. Very repetitive.

Controls are seriously dodgy.

Enemies are boring (so far at least)

The story is all over the place, no idea what's going on... and why does Sonic have to collect four eggs and put them in their nests for example? What significance is that? Stealth attack by not killing any enemies? Why?

I'm afraid in my opinion 6/10 is about right for this game (so far at least)

It said something like nudge the Wii remote forward for a turbo. Great explanation that was. Keep trying many variations on nudging it forwards, nothing.

Back step, it says quickly press the jump button while moving backwards... tried that, all I do is jump and dash forward.

Nah not impressed with this game. Every world is exactly the same, you just go around in circles either collecting rings or doing something else. Very repetitive.

Controls are seriously dodgy.

Enemies are boring (so far at least)

The story is all over the place, no idea what's going on... and why does Sonic have to collect four eggs and put them in their nests for example? What significance is that? Stealth attack by not killing any enemies? Why?

I'm afraid in my opinion 6/10 is about right for this game (so far at least)

Err... that nudge forward is at the start.

When the counter hits one, push the wiimote away from yourself. Its all in the instructions on the skill.

And the worlds are all completely different. The core gameplay is the same, but the set pieces are amazing. Running along a dragons trail, riding up tidel waves, jumping on cannon balls... This game is so over the top.

I couldn't remember the exact words, 'nudge forward' 'move the wii remote away from you'... same thing. Still can't get it to work.

The 7 worlds are completely different... but the 10+ levels in each are the same! You just run around the same tracks, up the same dinosaur tails etc... collecting rings, bashing the same enemies doing things that don't seem to make any difference to the story!

Later in the game, you have to do one mission to unlock another that fits the story. It works more and more later in the game.

The game only gets faster and more fun as time goes on. Plus the whole mission system has been around in Sonic games for years.

The 7 worlds are completely different... but the 10+ levels in each are the same! You just run around the same tracks, up the same dinosaur tails etc... collecting rings, bashing the same enemies doing things that don't seem to make any difference to the story!

Yep. And that sucks ass through a straw. Still, I can't imagine someone not enjoying playing this game :D

Ok well this is my first proper Sonic so maybe that's why I'm a bit sceptical about the game so far but still, not hugely impressed two worlds in.

The controls are the biggest failing in my book though, very very hit and miss.

Dinosaur Jungle.

Head to Head.

Beat Uhu to the goal.

Firstly, who the hell is Uhu? Second... it's impossible.

Its easy, and im really digging the controlls, i havent had the wiimote not respond or act funny once.

I love TP, I love Excite Truck, I love Wii Sports/Play. Monkey Ball is good.

Sonic is passable (SO FAR). Jumping in this game + attacking enemies acts up a lot of the time.

I love TP, I love Excite Truck, I love Wii Sports/Play. Monkey Ball is good.

Sonic is passable (SO FAR). Jumping in this game + attacking enemies acts up a lot of the time.

Are you sure you haven't got a faulty Wiimote or something? Like others I don't seem to be having any problems with the controls!

I am enjoying it so far although I'm hoping it gets a fair bit faster - especially the acceleration! I've already got an acceleration upgrade thing but it still take forever to get going!

Doubt it's a faulty remote... it's not so much that the game doesn't recognise when I do a move... it's more that doing moves like jumps and attacks can be very hit and miss.

I see what you mean, motion, and it's the same thing I was talking about earlier. The game is seriously limited and thus the levels feel incredibly samey despite *looking* different. I miss a lot of stuff from the other 3D Sonics in the way of pacing and variety of things you do. Especially from the first Sonic Adventure.

Try not to think about it like that though. This is an excercise in something new - not a proper action adventure game. This is like Sonic 2 bonus stages stretched across a full game with some massive roller coaster things going on, and in that sense it's pretty damn cool.

edit: though I do not experience your crazy input problems, mind. Just your comments about content.

Hear what you're saying Simon. I played through the first few levels on Sonic's dreamcast game and really enjoyed that.

Also I'm on the third world now, and still have no idea what all these pearls I keep collecting actually do? Is it to do with the score at the end? And what does 'level-up' do?

While actually reading stuff that pops up on screen normally addresses confusion, orb thingies make you go faster and leveling up unlocks new skills/lets you apply more skills to one ring.

Hmm, is there a way to turn around or is that just a really, really frequent glitch?

It's explained so badly in the game, or at least I do exactly what it says and it doesn't work!

My game explained everything rather well...and the controls work every time.

My game explained everything rather well...and the controls work every time.

Quoted for turth.

Yeah, so i'm on the dinosaur level, the second challange. I'm running along and everything's fine. Then I run into a cactus in the road that I can't get around no matter what I do. It's on a turn, and I just can't get past it.

Help please! :(

It's not really all that weird or difficult. Just break, charge a jump and hop over it. Simple as that. That bit got me too though, I thought I needed a powerup to break it with or summat.

But nope, just a good ol' jump'll do the trick.

I have to say, I'm lvl 22 now and all the upgrades are coming together (there are tons of things to get to grips with) and it's really starting to feel... you know.. Genuinely good.

Of course I just airsurfed on a cannon ball, there's really no arguing with that.