NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Is this country (the UK) breeding idiots?

Ok I'm going for it.

The question itself is quite offensive in my opinion, people that aren't intelligent aren't worse people and so whether the answer is yes or no it shouldn't really matter. Should we not accept those that aren't as clever? I would be much more worried about the country being more agressive or rude than whether we're dumbing down.

I like Big Brother and have no problem with other people hating it, but thinking everyone that watches it is an idiot is ridiculous. Why do we watch TV? Entertainment. I'm not here to learn, I'm just watching something that's interesting, and watching people interact is interesting.

Maybe the "idiots" like Jade are being glorified more so than in the past, but I don't think that means we as a country are getting stupid. Again, she's popular because people find her entertaining.

You know it is possible to be an idiot and still know lots of things. Plus, like Katie's just said, idiots aren't bad at all, I know lots of them and some are thoroughly entertaining people. Sure you can't talk to certain people about stuff they don't/don't want to understand, but that doesn't stop them being fun to be around.

Also, why bother classifying millions of clearly very different people into one very derogatory stereotype. It's just lazy.

Are we getting stupider as a nation, or are those who believe they are intellectually superior just like to point out stupidity more often, or condemn 'stupid things', in a sort of snobbish lifestyle?

And I also don't agree with this stereotyping of those who watch Big Brother idiots. Some of the most intelligent people I know watch it, and enjoy it so, and the psychological bit they have on Sundays (Not sure if they have that anymore) does put up an antithesis to what the show is labeled as.

The last two posts pretty much said what I failed to say, and did it much better than I probably could have. Hi 5 guyz.

i've come to the conclusion that the large ratio of hopeless little virgin idiots C-E had that scared off all the girls, was a good thing. stopped them coming in and moaning :P

and yes, your bum DOES look big in that..............

i've come to the conclusion that the large ratio of hopeless little virgin idiots C-E had that scared off all the girls, was a good thing. stopped them coming in and moaning :P

and yes, your bum DOES look big in that..............

Well... this place has become rather liberal as you said, lets be honest.

yeah the points on this page are basically right but Jordan does have a point. I also think that people get popular for 'not bothering to try dumbness' it isnt because they're naturally incapable but because they cant be arsed and everone likes them for that. I've seen this happen a lot recently. I occasionly watch big brother, but it can be boring and cringeworthy (and make you lazy)

I think whats most important is that neither side be seen as superior or as having the right to bully the other side. I have to admit it can be fustrating to want to have an intelligent conversation but struggle to find anyone to have it with.

As for big brother, well it was never really a psychology experiment, it just wasnt controlled enough for that and wouldnt meet ethical guidelines to be allowed to be reported on.

Watching big brother certainly isn't an indication of being stupid, i've been addicted to the current series. However, what i dont like with big brother is its attempts to push the barriers of crudity with housemates like Lisa and Jane and things like the burping contest. I dont really have a problem with reality tv, the only really annoying thing for me is how they really dominate the tv shedules, it is quite rare now to see a good documentary on the primary channels now.

The education system in England is screwed at the moment. But the underlying problem is that society today is one where people aren't allowed to fail. The government want to make it seem like people are getting clever, so they make sylabus's easier. It makes grades almost useless. The government want 50% of people to go to university (technically the other 50% are below average intelligence), whats the point of that if those people arent doing degrees that are actually useful? University is meant for the intelectual elite. Not so you can have a student lifestyle and get wasted and laid every night (as some of my old freinds are doing).

What we should do is make exams harder, not easier. If gsce's were difficult then they would actually be worth something, and less people would have to do a Levels. If A levels were harder, then employers would be more willing to take people with just those. The number of jobs I see theequire "A degree", not a speecific degree, or a numerate degree, but any degree. Why? what skills would any degree give you? surely an A level student that got good grades should also be able to do it.

I think people should be able to be told, sorry your not good enough. rather then letting them go waste 3 years at university getting a 3rd at "museum and art gallery design", or some other sbject that could more easily be taught as a modern apprentiship.

I'll stop now...

I also think that people get popular for 'not bothering to try dumbness' it isnt because they're naturally incapable but because they cant be arsed and everone likes them for that. I've seen this happen a lot recently.

Wait, you've seen people who can't be bothered to work make loads of friends and earn loads of money?

Edit: People who you've actually met and who aren't just a person you've seen on the telly.

Yeah, I kinda agree with Fierce_LiNk, and kinda agree with Jordan too...

It's ridiculous how examiners, year after year, continue to emphasise that we should be tested on everything that it is possible to test us on, regardless of whether it will help us later. I mean, take "creative" writing exams in English language exams, what is the need? How are we any better off after being able to cram a shitty 3 page essay into a 1 1/2 hour session? Science based exams are just simple recall, you learn the information, you don't even have to understand it, all you have to do is remember the specific answer for whatever mundane question the examiners decide to throw at you.

Tests have nothing to do with intelligence at all, but they are a decent indicator of how hard the person in question works to do what is necessary. I know that this system is more than flawed; it's downright broken, but it's the best we have, so we have to make the most of it.

On the other hand, I agree, watching Big Brother does not make you an idiot, but this does little to change the fact that big brothers core demographic are infact idiots.

We are breeding idiots (hell, I'm living proof :heh:) because of the way the education system is run. Learning isn't made fun for us, it isn't exciting anymore, we are being forced to compete with each other in a way that is killing off out enthusiasm and being force fed information that is in no way going to help us out in the future, only so a year later we can regurgitate it in an exam so the examiners can have some, however archaic, way of measuring us up, seeing which of us are capable of doing mind numbing, monotonous work day in day out, without ever questioning it, and which of us don't give two shits. The only problem is, I'm afraid it's the thinking man thats losing out, without a say in the matter.

The whole world breeds idiots, it's worriesome actually. We (R-E) are mankind's only hope.

The education system in England is screwed at the moment. But the underlying problem is that society today is one where people aren't allowed to fail. The government want to make it seem like people are getting clever, so they make sylabus's easier. It makes grades almost useless. The government want 50% of people to go to university (technically the other 50% are below average intelligence), whats the point of that if those people arent doing degrees that are actually useful? University is meant for the intelectual elite. Not so you can have a student lifestyle and get wasted and laid every night (as some of my old freinds are doing).

What we should do is make exams harder, not easier. If gsce's were difficult then they would actually be worth something, and less people would have to do a Levels. If A levels were harder, then employers would be more willing to take people with just those. The number of jobs I see theequire "A degree", not a speecific degree, or a numerate degree, but any degree. Why? what skills would any degree give you? surely an A level student that got good grades should also be able to do it.

I think people should be able to be told, sorry your not good enough. rather then letting them go waste 3 years at university getting a 3rd at "museum and art gallery design", or some other sbject that could more easily be taught as a modern apprentiship.

I'll stop now...

you've not seen a shite education system until you've been to norway! talk about fucking stupid. my sister is 6 and a half now and still can't read and hasn't started school yet! my two step brothers are both stupid, one more than the other. come out with some right tripe sometimes, the most famous being that they think a microwave cooks from the inside out, because the microwaves cross over in the middle of the food and somehow this must make somekind of SUPAR MYCROWAVE!!!!!!1111 that makes the food even hotter. they must have failed physics if they were even taught it.

one of the teachers in my norwegian language class i had to do here couldn't even find AFRICA! on a world map, the silly cow pointed at south america! even an uneducated african pointed out her mistake!

ask for useless wastes of space and scum back in blighty.

don't get me started on the scum you find on the average council estate or ex colliery town. or worse the twats you find in the pubs in those towns that sit there every day talking about how "them bastards shut our pit!"

GROW UP IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO+ get off your fat useless fucking arses. move the knackered rusted up ford scorpio/granada and sofa out of your front garden, cut the grass and go so something fucking useful with your lives. not to mention beating the shit out of your waste of space chav/smackhead kids...........

Ok I'm going for it.

The question itself is quite offensive in my opinion, people that aren't intelligent aren't worse people and so whether the answer is yes or no it shouldn't really matter. Should we not accept those that aren't as clever? I would be much more worried about the country being more agressive or rude than whether we're dumbing down.

I like Big Brother and have no problem with other people hating it, but thinking everyone that watches it is an idiot is ridiculous. Why do we watch TV? Entertainment. I'm not here to learn, I'm just watching something that's interesting, and watching people interact is interesting.

Maybe the "idiots" like Jade are being glorified more so than in the past, but I don't think that means we as a country are getting stupid. Again, she's popular because people find her entertaining.

I was going to say something along these lines, so i'll just quote this to save effort.

I don't think we need to worry about the level of idiocy in this country, but I do think we need to worry about the level of know-it-all bitchsacks that populate the internet and think everyone and their opinion are inferior to theirs (and no, i'm not claiming anyone here is one of those - but i'm certainly seeing the symptoms).

The whole world breeds idiots, it's worriesome actually. We (R-E) are mankind's only hope.

QFT! :laughing:

I think modern societies are losing their moral basis, which cause to appear aparently more stupid people. What's even worse is in evolutionary terms, human females prefer to mate with useless idiots than geeky smart people.

I think modern societies are losing their moral basis.

Part of our evolution mate. We can't be stick in the muds for eternity.

Wait, you've seen people who can't be bothered to work make loads of friends and earn loads of money?

Edit: People who you've actually met and who aren't just a person you've seen on the telly.

well yeah theres a few people in my class/tutor that are liked becuase they are stupid. and i guess im with the majority of the people on here; i cant make a serious conversation with anyone in my school because they wont bother trying to make one or if i do try they think the words i use are over-complex. annoying as hell. i like having a laugh but it seems thats all people ever want. why cant anyone take me seriously,or take eachother seriously or have a crack at a serious conversation?

god theres too many things on my mind right now.

its so hard to explain your entire thoughts and get people to interpret them the way you see it! does anyone else get that?

Well are you jealous of these idiots for attracting these people who find idiocy attractive? Do you want to be friends with these morons?

Serious conversations are often too intense or boring for people to bother with. It's better to live your life in wilful ignorance of all seriousness, because that way people can actually be content.

I personally don't think that education, reality TV or most anything is a good measure of someone's intelligence. I only got three Scottish Cs, so I should technically be a dribbiling "Reality" TV-obsessed idiot incapable of spelling, destined for a life of degrading office labour. To be honest I'd rather die. An office job I can handle, but I'd rather be flayed alive than watch Love Island. Then again, watching reality TV doesn't make you an idiot - you might have bad taste in television, but can probably pick out an excellent book at twenty paces using just your sense of smell.

I don't like labaling someone as an idiot based purely on what they do, how succesful they are, or what they're interested in - people should be judged on their strength of character, not their idle pastimes. It's not right to make assumptions about people you've never met.

Well are you jealous of these idiots for attracting these people who find idiocy attractive? Do you want to be friends with these morons?

Serious conversations are often too intense or boring for people to bother with. It's better to live your life in wilful ignorance of all seriousness, because that way people can actually be content.

im not jealous! no-way. quite the opposite. im glad im clever. im glad im different.

why would i envy the stupid?!

and as well : im all for laughter and chat, but there is never anyone being serious. its like you say something and they go 'ya mum' or 'shut up matty batty' or sad things like that. not all the time, a bit of an exaggeration but you'll get my point

Perhaps the first season, it was a smart psychology experiment. Now they throw in a bunch of social out casts and people just to start arugements.

= Thruth!! I got tired on the second run.

LOL, we must find an uncharted island and make it the R-E landia. We woudn't even need any government to controll anything because we'r so god damn perfect.

LOL, we must find an uncharted island and make it the R-E landia. We woudn't even need any government to controll anything because we'r so god damn perfect.

Nope, it would reflect the heirarchy here, in other words, I'd be (one of the people) in charge! Bwaha!

But seriously, while I hate Big Brother with a big fiery passion that burns in my belly I wouldn't say watching it means you are stupid, because to be fair university and a-level students do (or at least can) watch it for their studies. Plus it is probably used in sociology, psychology and all that other stuff.

Sign in to follow this