N-Europe

Life on Mars, but not as we know it

Fierce_LiNk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5072668.stm

Well, some may see this as a waste of money. Others will see this as an opportunity to explore other worlds and find out as much as we can about them.

What do you guys think?

Here is an extract from that link:

It is set to become one of the key experiments on ExoMars, Europe's next mission to the Red Planet in 2011.

The Life Marker Chip (LMC) will test soil samples drilled from below Mars' surface for specific molecules that can be associated with life.

The results might not be a definitive proof of the existence of microbes, but they could still provide tantalising evidence for their possible presence.

A UK-led international consortium is developing the technology.

On Monday, it was awarded £0.5m (0.7m euros) to advance the system's design and demonstrate such an instrument can be made small enough and light enough to be flown half a billion kilometres to Mars.

Aren't they still being debated? I seem to recall that some thought they were just shapes formed by crsytalisation or soemthing.

I heard that too.

As much as I like space exploration, I don't see the importance in this, they should be more agressive and start colonising other planets.

I think they should focus on our own planet rather than pointlessly inspecting others.

With all the money spent on sending rockets into space, we could have probaly got rid off world hunger.

The rocket chine sent into space (just the one), was equal to the UK's NHS yearly budget.

Because we can do it at the same time.

With all the money spent on sending rockets into space, we could have probaly got rid off world hunger.

The rocket chine sent into space (just the one), was equal to the UK's NHS yearly budget.

I hate that argument, we should cease development and research just so we can feed them for a year, you can't stop world hunger just buy throwing money or food to their faces.

Why should we care about life on other planets while our own planet (which is slowly dying) is still a mystery to us?

Edit: Exactly what Kurt R said, right on brother : peace:

Because we need to bloody hurry up and colonize Mars before Earth turns into Venus!

I'm glad i posted this now, as it seems quite a few of us have an interest in this kind of thing.

Personally, i think we're stuck in two minds here. I'm all for exploration and finding out about other worlds. But, it's not as if there isn't plenty of other things to research on our own planet.

The other aspect is money. We're spending a great deal on exploration. Is it really worth it? Compared to what else the money could possibly help with.

Any kind of research can't be stoped, money is not wasted in investigation but in corruption and wars.

As for space exploration, it can be very viable and lucrative, Arragaun brought a very interesting idea to create energy, but solar energyis hard to store and that amount is not yet feasable to transport back to earth. The chinese plan is to mine the Moon, it seems to be abundant in a very rare element on earth, and it's a very powerfull energy source.

Not as good as my requested chav power! Kidnap all the chavs and use them to turn those turbines and power all the electricity... their could even be a selective breeding programme: only the most wikidest most SAFE rude bois should be used. It would solve all this knive crime going on...

It's a very interesting idea. All of them are.:wink:

In all seriousness, i think that Britain, as well as most of Europe, will end up giving Nuclear power a try.

The implications if a power station buggers up are massive. But, if they're very careful, things would be fine. The French have an outstanding safety record with nuclear power stations, if my knowledge and information is correct.