NEurope
Nintendork

The flap development..

First of all, this is a pretty big secret, Nintendo still hasn't addressed what is under the flap so pinch of salt- mainly because if this is going to get unveiled I'd imagine Nintendo would want to do it themselves.

I knew it would be something more than just SD slot.

http://nintendogossip.com/?p=249

I've never heard of NintendoGossip, neither have I found the image on the netherlands' site.. perhaps it's just a publicity stunt to get some readers for a new site- the image is kinda small so it could easily be photoshopped.

Hard to say but if it is true developments will come through today confirming or denying it.

I think there has to be something more than SD in there, a camera would make sense- close the flap and your privacy is secured.

Otherwise why not just put the SD slot on the top where the gamecube ports are? It warrants the camera being on the front of the system disrupting the clean lines, and it allows for privacy and frequent access.

I've tried to look at it from a design point of view and I wouldn't be suprised if this was legit.

edit: found it- http://www.cubeparty.nl/nieuws/item/23804/

I saved it and zoomed into it, and nope, I don't think it's photoshopped. I'm not a photoshop pro though, so I could be wrong...

It looks like an SD slot, and probably a camera, so it seems that leaked Game Informer (was it?) info was correct...

Which is nice.

It looks very odd. Most people will have the Wii on a desk, and you'd have to crouch down to be level with it. They'd be better off with an external camera like a webcam. That is, if it's real - I honestly think it's just covering USB ports and SD card sockets.

I think it looks like a Photoshop job, and when you compare it to the other backstage image from E3 you can see there’s a difference:

wiiflap1dv.jpg

But I love the idea of a built-in camera behind the flap, makes sense for the Wii Sports caricature system too.

a caricature is not a photo. This is definately a 3d holomatrix like on star trek

I too think that's photoshopped. And as pointed out above, you can't rely on the console being in a position that's conducive to using a camera there.

I'd like to see that slot used to house a 3.5 HDD. I think that would be a hardware secret in line with Perrin Kaplan's insistence to Matt Casamassina telling hardcore gamers to keep an eye-open.

How about two Wii bundles: core system $199, optional 20GB HDD $249. After all, two bundles is all the rage these days.

Do remember RedShell that the E3 Wii's were just cases. Not the complete console by any means.

What is the little port below the SD slot? Is it a port at all?

This reminds me of Lost. What's down the hatch!?

Anyway, if it turns out to be true, that's a terrible terrible place to put the camera.

WAIT

not nessesarly, the wii was designed to be positioned vertically, on top of that it is positioned at an angle, perfect for taking pictures i say.

It is a realistic hypothesis, and it doesnt sound completely farfetched.

Maybe its an E reader for all those guys who bought e cards and felt ripped off. Swipe the card and hey presto Metriod prime 3!

WAIT

not nessesarly, the wii was designed to be positioned vertically, on top of that it is positioned at an angle, perfect for taking pictures i say.

Ah! You're right!

So will this be a kind of eye toy style camera?

I thought it was going to be a camera... The console is slanted upwards so it's pointing towards you...

Edit - Booker beat me to it in this thread, although as with all these smart things I post, I posted it somewhere else before him :heh:

If it is a camera, just imagine the following scenario:

You're playing Wario Ware Smooth moves. One of the microgames starts. The screen displays 'Dance!' and you have to hold the controller while performing all kinds of crazy dance moves.

However, unbeknownst to you, the Wii camera is silently snapping away.

Two days later you're the laughing stock of the Internet as Nintendo reveal the top ten worst dancers around the world. :grin:

if this has any truth to it then it would be totally awesome! only one thing, its not really a gaming revolution is it?

This would be a great feature

No it wouldnt be a revolution, but the fhc is in my opinion

Yeah your right, adding a camera won't be a revolution but then, when I think about it, using a camera with games results in massive potential and I don't think the ability of using a camera with games has been fully exploited so really they can probably create a revolution with this camera but I doubt it but it will be a nice add on :D

Maybe its an E reader for all those guys who bought e cards and felt ripped off. Swipe the card and hey presto Metriod prime 3!

i have an e reader i'd just like to know if small nes games are 9 "dot codes" how many card would metroid prime 3 be.

if this has any truth to it then it would be totally awesome! only one thing, its not really a gaming revolution is it?

No one said it would be though?

That's just people assuming it is a camera. Lets assume its a 3d Holo-graphic-matrix-projecton-type-thingy. Would it be a gaming revolution then?

No. we'll just have to wait for Nintendo to announce something.

WAIT

It is also designed to be layed flat. Look at the official press release photos from E3 2005. This is such a desperate thread, with people finding answers that jsut aren't there.

hehe it could be bloody nothing u know.I do believe there will be some sort of a camera though.How do u expect face mapping in wii sports to work?did i post that already?anyway remember miyamoto confirmed face mapping.

Flippity floppety flap. It looks like a DS cartridge slot, loflol!

On another note... it does look photoshopped. Thats a very small hole for a camera.