N-Europe

Nintendo meeting

Hellfire

You might have heard about it, the meeting where Pokemon was anounced. It aired in portuguese TV in the prime time news in 2 channels. The coverage was pretty good and very surprising considering that in Portugal everyone is pro Sony. They anounced the console would release in September worldwide and wouldn't cost more than 200€ in Europe. It could have been mistranslation, but it also could be true.

That is very welcome news!

That (if it turns out to be true) pretty much proves that the Wii will be €199:yay:

Ans I think September is a wise move for Nintendo - get it out before Sony in Nov. Gives the Wii a 2 month head start

You might have heard about it, the meeting where Pokemon was anounced. It aired in portuguese TV in the prime time news in 2 channels. The coverage was pretty good and very surprising considering that in Portugal everyone is pro Sony. They anounced the console would release in September worldwide and wouldn't cost more than 200€ in Europe. It could have been mistranslation, but it also could be true.

Nintendo to Announce Release Date for Wii

TOKYO (AP) -- Nintendo will announce the release date and price for its new family video-game console Wii by September, the company's president said Wednesday.

TGS anyone! :hehe:

Yahoo.

TOKYO (AP) -- Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged Wednesday the name for the company's planned home console "Wii" has been widely criticized but said he had no regrets for having come up with it.

Wii -- pronounced "we," and meant to emphasize that it's fun for everybody -- offers easy-playing games, regardless of sex, age or skills, according to Nintendo, the Japanese maker of Super Mario and Pokemon games.

Instead of old-style remote controllers with their complex buttons, it has a has a wireless wand-like remote that can be swung around like a tennis racket or baton for conducting a virtual orchestra.

Promised for the final quarter of this year, Wii is among the competing entries in next-generation consoles, including Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360. PlayStation 3 is set to go on sale in November, and Xbox 360 beat others to the market by going on sale last year.

Iwata said Wii isn't directly battling rivals because it's offering different, easier-to-play games. He said the release date and price will be announced by September. The Kyoto-based manufacturer has said it won't cost more than 25,000 yen or US$250 in the United States.

The name Wii has been criticized by some as juvenile and strange. Generally, game machines names tend to have a more cutting-edge ring like Xbox and GameCube. Even Nintendo's console had been initially code-named Revolution but that was switched to Wii in April.

Iwata, who was among those who had come up with the name, said the handheld GameBoy was criticized at start as a weird name, and some had asked if that meant girls couldn't play with it. But once a product catches on, then so does the name, he told reporters at a Tokyo hotel.

"I have never thought the name was a mistake," Iwata said of Wii. "Some people seem to have a problem with it now, but I think they'll grow to like it."

Iwata brushed off the possible threat from Microsoft in portable gaming. The U.S. software company has not announced any portable game machine plans but it recently launched, with several hardware companies, a handheld personal computer formerly code-named Project Origami.

"Whatever Microsoft does won't change what Nintendo will do," Iwata said.

Iwata apologized for not having enough Nintendo DS Lite machines to keep up with demand, especially in Japan, where software billed as training intelligence has been a hit. The game, called "BrainAge" in the United States, only recently went on sale there.

Nintendo plans to boost production to supply more than 2.2 million DS Lite machines a month worldwide by this summer, Iwata said.

I heard they would hold a meeting in september to announce the date. Don't remember where I read that though ....

EDIT: Oh there you go, Dante posted it :)

PS: Anybody else see the pic of the australian ad in the shop where it said get a game free when your preorder a wii? Sweet! you can see it at http://www.infendo.com

Things have changed a great deal and for the better since Iwata has been around.
That is SO true!

@Dante

I read somewhere that they would reveal pricing and dates etc at Leipzig in Germany from 24-27th August. It does say in the article you posted that they would reveal "by" September. Remember TGS is in late Septmeber and if we are to find out by September I reckon Leipzig is the plave to keep an eye on.

Edit: Here's a link

That's awesome news!! Hellfire, wich channels were those? Do you know if it's going to be re-aired? I would love to see.

The coverage was pretty good and very surprising considering that in Portugal everyone is pro Sony.

You can say that again, and we almost got no news regarding videogames.

The last time i remember was at E3 2005, a 15 sec coverage about the show or something. "Oh... E3 happened... videogames and stuff..."

That's awesome news!! Hellfire, wich channels were those? Do you know if it's going to be re-aired? I would love to see.

You can say that again, and we almost got no news regarding videogames.

The last time i remember was at E3 2005, a 15 sec coverage about the show or something. "Oh... E3 happened... videogames and stuff..."

It was on the news, I don't think they do re runs :P

Anyway, I heard they were going anounce it in September first, but through shady babelfish translations. So, there you go. I'm leaning towards November. Still, 200 € ftw

250$ =about 195 euro so it was true to begin with

I hope they announce launch details before then. They need to give people an idea how much money they need to save up...

they've already given a price cap, so £200 should be enough for the Wii, controller and one game.

Personally, I can't see Wii coming out before end Nov / Dec. It's not that the system won't be ready, but the games. 3rd party devs won't even have been working on some games for a year...

it has to come before the end of the year otherwise it will be finished!PS3 has alreay won(and i will be crying)