Freshly-Picked Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland

Nintenchris

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game|Life have secured copy of TRPG. :)

Game|Life Impressions.

In general, this is a game about making money. You're Tingle -- a 35-year-old man living a sedate life full of a whole lot of nothin'. You're sitting around scratching your ass one day when you hear a voice calling you to the spring in the forest. You walk over there and a mystic spirit with a face shaped like money named Old Man Rupee tells you how to achieve your dream of going to Rupee Land, a land of plenty where you don't have to work, can eat all the food you want, and will be surrounded by beautiful women.

I'm a little surprised that Tingle, who prances around in green tights and pointy green hat, wants to be surrounded by beautiful women, but I think that scene is honestly supposed to be ironic.

Anyway, Old Man Rupee tells you that all you have to do to attain eternal bliss is pay him an increasing and unspecified amount of money. So you're off into the world, meeting people and doing things, all in the name of collecting Rupees. One of the first things you do is visit the town marketplace, where half a dozen merchants buy things, sell things, and trade information. For a price.

There's a woman who will pay you to take her incomplete maps around the world and fill them in with the missing landmarks. There's a chef, a seamstress, and a weapons maker.

The thing is, the game never actually tells you how much money anything costs. You have to use a little calculator, on the touch screen, to make people an offer. (This is actually quite common in Japan; if you're in a store with a salesperson they will generally have a little pocket calculator they use to show you prices and figure discounts.) So you're making offers. If you lowball people, they'll take your money -- then not give you anything. But if you go too high, you waste your cash.

I reset the game, a lot. Keeping rupees is important, because they're Tingle's life meter. Run out and you're dead. That's the price of searching for Rupee Land. Well, that, and having to wear the green tights and pointy hat, but I think that's something Tingle would do anyway.

You walk Tingle around the world with the D-pad, and interact with things when he gets close to them by tapping them. If he's too far away, a little ! icon will appear above his head, indicating that he can interact with it but isn't close enough.

So, there are battles. When you approach an enemy, a little scuffle will appear on screen in the style of a violent kids' cartoon: a big grey ball of dust and smoke with limbs popping out of it. As this scuffle goes on, you tap on the melee with the stylus to cheer Tingle on. You'll lose Rupees in battle, so you want to tap quickly to end it fast.

Here's the strategy, though. If you use the D-pad while this is going on, you can entangle OTHER nearby enemies in the scuffle! You'll lose more health, of course, but the benefits will more than double. You might get three bones from defeating two enemies that individually might only give you one. Or a lot more rupees.

Bones? Yes, and meat and veggies, too. When you win this stuff or find it around, you can bring it home and cook it. You'll find recipies (and I'm sure people will sell them to you, although I haven't seen that happen yet) for things, which you can then cook in your pot. It's a silly little mini-game -- the items appear in the pot, and you tap them with the stylus to cook them down. They shrink as you tap them, so it gets harder as you go on. When they're done, you'll get your results.

The one thing I've made thus far is a piece of fireworks. You can set it off in the field to see the explosion -- I haven't found a use for it thus far -- or you can sell it to the weapons guy. Your items are stored at home in a weirdly out-of-place "tank" that looks like something out of a sci-fi movie or Willy Wonka's factory. You can only take them outside with you if you have... dun dun dun DUN... an empty bottle. (Reminding us, if only briefly and very tangentially, that this game is in fact a spinoff the Zelda series.)

Soon after you've completed a few of the initial quests, you find the first dungeon. You have to pay to get in, of course. Once you're inside, you'll do the typical Zelda dungeon stuff. Fight more enemies, avoid traps, solve puzzles. There are little spikes that shoot out of the ground without warning, and they're annoying until you realize that the map screen, on top, is marked with circles that show where they are.

Also, the game has a dungeon-buddy system. You'll meet a tall fat dude inside the first dungeon, and if you pay him some cash, he'll partner up with you. If you tap on him, you can move him around with the touch screen to do more typical Zelday stuff -- step on switches for you, and the like.

At the end of the dungeon is a giant treasure chest, inside of which is the first boss battle. Here things totally switch up: Tingle floats around the room while tied to a whole mess of balloons keeping him in the air (he's not a real fairy, so he can't fly...), while a scary freaky giant spider thing whatever tromps around the room launching missiles and giving birth to giant nasty maggots. You've got to skirt around them, pick up bombs, and drop them on the thing's face.

You then get 1,000 rupees. So much for saving up money. So anyway, you take that to the spring, dump it in, and the whole spring raises up thirty meters off the ground, which allows you to access the next level. Fun ahead!

Note: the previous paragraph contained spoilers.

It's a fun game thus far. It's not exactly packed with jokes -- the comedy just comes from the fact that it's all just so weird. I think that a few rupees here and there isn't gonna matter so much in the long run. Just as long as you finish the dungeons and whatever other quests get thrown at you, you'll get stacks of rupees to throw in the Scientology pond and continue the adventure.

Of course, what would have happened if I'd taken those 1000 rupees and given them away? Would I have been totally screwed? Would it even be possible to do that, or would people just say "I can't take that much money!" Or maybe it just wouldn't let me into town. Either way, I didn't find out. Maybe a braver soul will; for now, I've got some money to make and heaven to achieve.

Game|Life

• 3 months later...
It is.

Cubed³ has been exclusively told that Freshly Picked Tingle's Rose-Coloured Rupees for the Nintendo DS will be heading to Europe in 2007. The quirky RPG has already sold over 200,000 units in Japan and rated 33/40 in Famitsu.

I hope that's true. It's surely a game I'll pick up on release day. It looks totally bizarre and equally awesome (the art style is totally kickass). :p

Just to think some fricking idiots were actually campaigning to avoid this game from getting an English release, just because the character is supposedly gay... :mad:

Don't like it, don't buy it...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!