NEurope
Anakenobi

Phil Harrison: "We didn't copy the Wiimote, We invented 3D games & PC's are obsolete"

Phil Harrison (SCEE's Executive Vice President of Development) denied claims of copying the Wiimote with the PS3's Dual-no-shock controller during an interview with spiegel.

"In a certain way, I understand why people would say such things, but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so ... We have already worked on it a long time, and Nintendo almost certainly has done likewise with something similar. It is perfectly naturally for two companies to work on identical devices. It's like that with technology."

He defended that very concept with the following comparison:

"When we launched Playstation in 1994 we introduced the concept of real-time computer-generated 3-D-graphics for the first time. When Nintendo released the N64 in 1996 and they had real-time CG 3-D-graphics, did you hear us say, "Nintendo, you've stolen our idea?" Of course not. These innovations are things that become possible because of a combination of technology, price and manufacturing capability".

MY COMMENT: For one Sony didn't introduce real-time 3D graphics. Not even in consoles.

Starfox and the Super FX chip came out well before the PSX. Hell, even the Saturn was launched before the Playstation. Not to mention the numerous arcade games with 3D graphics that were floating around. The countless 3D PC games (D00M, Wolfenstein 3D & Alone in the Dark).

Phil also said this:

“We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC,”

I won't even touch the idea we don't need PC's.

You can catch Phil's act at comedy central. coming this fall!

Sources:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9547

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,419072,00.html

:geek:

He obviously forgot the fact that Sony didn't start working on their controller until after Nintendo announced theirs.

What an idiot...This guy really needs a kick in the teeth!!....1st you go 'stealing' things, then claim you've had something 'stolen' from you with false facts. ARSEHOLE!!!

And he obviously denied "that the PlayStation 3’s new motion sensing controller was influenced by Nintendo’s Wii console."....It's influenced from Gameboy games:heh:

Obviously Sony invented 'real-time weapon change' with the PS3 too. HAHAHA

"Playstation dual analog controller, is the de facto industry standard controller in video gaming. I reckon, including the third party controllers that have been sold that are the same shape as this, nearly 400 million have been sold worldwide. This means that we have the standard for human machine interface for gaming in this controller. "

As I have said before, A SNES controller with Analogue sticks (originally created by Nintendo)

This is so stupid... Phill Harisson you asshole.

I lost all my respect for him since the first time I learned his name (when the PSP was shipping in Europe and he deliberately atacked Nintendo DS saying it's gimmick).

God... I don't like to hate people like this, but I hate kutaragi for being hypocrit and Phill Harrison, this shouldn't happen, why can't they act like... normal!?

I think I speak for everyone when I saw this guy is a tosspot.

If Sony would stop being such cocky hypocritical jerks, I'd actually respect them. IIRC they even stole the PlayStation from Nintendo. Nintendo and Sony were working together to bring a successor to the SNES, but then Sony quit. A while later Sony's PlayStation was introduced to the market. Don't kill me if this is incorrect, but I believe I've read this multiple times.

It really is difficult to approach their hardware from an objective position when their public face is so fucking arrogant and seemingly anti-consumer.

This type of behaviour from the leaders just filters down into the die-heart PS fanboys. Both lack the insight to consider other options because they are too choked up with their own propaganda.

rumble pack,

control stick,

3d,

should buttons,

sensors in their controller.

"We didnt included rumble because it gets in the way of the motion sensing.."

No, because they got their ass sued for copying the rumble technology.

Remember when Sony's Kaz Hirai said:

"The next-gen revolution doesn't begin until we say it does"

I guess that also applies to anything ever invented or created in the videogaming world, like 3D games.

Phil is pretty much saying this:

"3D games didn't exist until we created them for the PSX!"

Wow! I'll love to smoke whatever they're smoking! :p

I could make a BIG list of things that Sony have copied. To be honest I think Sony only agreed to work with Phillips and Nintendo for the technology that would lead them to their own console. If only Nintendo didn't try to work on the CD-i, and just bought out Sony and Phillips while they could.

If Sony would stop being such cocky hypocritical jerks, I'd actually respect them. IIRC they even stole the PlayStation from Nintendo. Nintendo and Sony were working together to bring a successor to the SNES, but then Sony quit. A while later Sony's PlayStation was introduced to the market. Don't kill me if this is incorrect, but I believe I've read this multiple times.

Actually I think it the other way around.

It is perfectly naturally for two companies to work on identical devices. It's like that with technology.

Nice touch asshole.

not on-spot but yes... Sony wanted to take over Nintendo with their CD-ROM drive and Play station was originally able to run SNES games too with a cartridge slot, all this because they did the sound chip for SNES and had those conditions in the contract without Nintendo knowing...

Nintendo was in panic by then... she managed to survive though, when PSone shiped including a cartridge slot would be too expensive, and they managed to slow sony down (PSone was supposed to come out in 1991/1992).

I could make a BIG list of things that Sony have copied. To be honest I think Sony only agreed to work with Phillips and Nintendo for the technology that would lead them to their own console. If only Nintendo didn't try to work on the CD-i, and just bought out Sony and Phillips while they could.

I got the CD-i and the zelda game for it! It fricking PWNS! though kinda scary it so an absolute piece of comedy gold

You can't use photoshop on a PS3 so bugger you Harrison!

Phil Harrison went on to say that ordinary gods and goddesses would cower at the site of the first PS3 and that the plain jane religions that exist the world today will be unneeded once we have the PS3 to worship.

Sony has been playing around with the idea of allowing consumers one PS3 in exchange for that consumer's first born son (or the trimmed down version for first born daughter). Analysts stated that this strategy would be met with disgust in most parts of the world but may play well in third world countries and those suffering from over population.

When asked why he would no longer need a PC, Harrison merely gestured to the screen displaying the new console and said, "Look at it! Just .. just ... look at it! No, wait stop, you are not worthy to cast your eyes upon it. Avert them! Everyone, stop looking at it, you're ruining its glory just by concieving it in your feeble puny mind!"

Sony has set up large preemptive trauma centers for players who will seek medical attention after attempting to "play" the PS3. Harrison explained that only players with "mad skillz" will be able to touch the PS3 and not walk away with their entire reality altered. Harrison also alluded to the idea that much of life after the PS3's release will be dedicated to playing the PS3 and trying to conceive of what life before the PS3 might have been like. Phil was skeptical any of their consumers would own any other consoles aside from the PS3 and stated that doctors were investigating ways to wean heroin addicts from the drug by giving them a PS3 as a substitute.

Some of the developers of the PS3 were admitted to mental institutions for possible instability. Many were sobbing and laughing at the same time screaming anything from "It is done!" to "It is ... the alpha & the omega!"

Reporters noted that Phil looked quite thin and ill but when asked about his health, he became extremely defensive saying, "Why do you ask about the physical things? If you had god in your living room, would you pause your conversation with him to eat?!" he cried, "Why do you vex me with puzzles non-PS3 based?" He had shaved his head [gamasutra.com] for reasons unknown. He then jumped off the stage and ran to his celebrity van outside--presumably to play an in-development version of the PS3.

When asked why he would no longer need a PC, Harrison merely gestured to the screen displaying the new console and said, "Look at it! Just .. just ... look at it! No, wait stop, you are not worthy to cast your eyes upon it. Avert them! Everyone, stop looking at it, you're ruining its glory just by concieving it in your feeble puny mind!"

^

Lol!

</3 for Sony's attitude!

I thought this was slightly amusing given Phil's comments:

Innovation: None

That also happens to be a very good site for settling those fanboy arguments over who invented what.

Well I think he is talking about no need of PC for online use since you can browse, stream and play games.

However he is really an asshole...

I don't know what was the first fully 3D game, but a Star Wars arcade game was one of the firsts. There was also Elite for Commodore 64... The only right thing he says is that PCs are obsoleet.

This is quite amusing, not least because of the sheer transparency of his lies, but also because he looks like Lurch from the Adams family. The first 3D game I remember was Virtual Fighter, which came out in Arcades in 1993, and then on the Megadrive in the same year. Oh...remind me when Wolfenstein 3D came out? Point is, Philly, you've lost all your integrity by copying and tailcoat riding on other people's ideas, you should at least try to maintain even the tiniest flicker of respect that some people may have had for you by saying outright that you copied Nintendo.

EDIT: Battlezone in 1980 also had quasi 3D graphics. Man this guy has an unparalled ability to talk out of his ass.

o come on who in there right mind is gunna think this guys anything else but a lier :/