NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Alterego

Isss There A God!!

As is the evidence that he does not exist.

Yes, that's convenient for you.

People have been doubting the existence of my friend The Great Invisible Amoebic Heffalump of Curious Dimensions for years.

Since I made him up, there's little evidence that he doesn't exist.

Which is convenient.

If you pull something straight out of your asshole, of course there's no way to prove or disprove it, you're just being a fucking child.

This actually semmed like an interesting thread, then reasoning went out the window. Oh well.

It's difficult for science to prove the existence of something that doesn't exist, by virtue that IT DOESN'T EXIST.

The burden of proof is on the believer; not the skeptic.

Science is means of expressing human understanding under human constraints, purely formed by human reasoning. Guess what, science is not conclusive.

Modern science and physics is based on the belief of atoms. No-one's seen one. We don't factually know they even exist, we're merely forming 'facts' under our own assumptions. 2,000 years of science, and it's constantly changing. There is still doubt among many whether there are infact atoms. It started off as a bunch of children pulling something straight out of there arseholes with no way to prove or disprove it, back in Greece BCE.

Well, you can. The whole basis of science is that things can be measured and tested. There's no faith involved.

That's only if you take the basics for granted. There are many who would oppose your logic with extremity. As Heraclitis said:

"No man can cross the same river twice, because neither the man nor the river are the same."

Past experiences are not a measure of the future to come.

But let's play your game, and take science as it is. Does anyone remember the recreation of the universe by computer? They recreated the universe down to the very last electron, and after such a great achievement, they had fun with it.

They took one electron out of the universe. What happenned? The universe dissappeared.

They added one electron to the universe. What happenned? The universe dissappeared.

This means that by either pure chance or some grand design, the universe was created to perfection. I don't know which to believe, but given this experiment, I'm swaying with the latter.

Yes. -Enough said.

Edit:

Just to add a bit for, i think the way the whole earth is ballanced and perfectly supports life, with so many differnt systems that would need to be perfect, this idea is exploered in the gagai prenceiple (the earth as a living life), not to be takne litrally but to show the way diffenrt systems work perfectly, the same is true in biology and physics (exapmle being how the world is orderly) with many differnt systems all being perfect, and the fact remaining if they weren't just right we wouldn't be here.

I'd like to point out that science already has a lot of proof on how the universe was created. So the theory of god creating the universe seems a like a fantasy story to me tbh.

Personally i don't believe in god, or a certain higher force. I believe in cold hard facts, science, math, the laws of physics and evolution.

How can you belive just in science, when great scientistic belived in God, take einstein for example, or even that current leading expert on particle physics who is also a priest. I think the biggest evidence for God is science's explanation for the creation of the universe. physics tells us that the unvirse started from one single poiunt of infanite smallness, surly to proff God didn't exsist you would need to prove that the universe wasn't created or formed at one point, but was allways there. I didn't want go into red/blue shift ect. so i could keep it simple.

you have to think back to the point in time when the univers was made, how was it made and was there a certain person or thing that made it, or was it just a big coincidence, then how was this coincidence created, what was it that created the being, thing, or things that created the coincidence that created the univers...... okay im confusing myself anyone wana help me out lol! :heh::grin:

zxxcyzcxz.jpg

Take The quiz yourself!

i believe in a god, or mother nature, or possibly the tao. but i really doubt that if there was an all-powerful being he would write a book condemning homosexuals and banning humans frome ating shellfish. in my opinion christianity is just an overblown, outdated cult.

Well you may as well say; YES!

because if there isn't a God it wont matter,

and if there is a God your quids in!!

lol,

elaborate, please :P

You think that if there's a god, and you say "Hey, I always believed in you man! Even when I was cheating on my wife with the corpse of my neighbour after I robbed him of his statue of JESUS, then I had an abortion." that the dude will let you waltz on into heaven?... It ain't gonna happen. If you're going to "believe" in God then you have to believe in his word, you gotta live the way he WANTS you to live if you're going to get a nice slice o' creamy heaven pie.

Are you willing to waste your life in teh hope that there's an after-one waiting for you, an eternal happiness to reward your hard-done life?

Then again, some would say this is a rather extremist view.

And Dieter; So's your face is your mum!

Haha, i find it idiots that the 'scientists' are more or less denying something that acn't be proven or disproven. As Athriller said, prove an atom exists. We don't you except people's point of views? whats the big deal? I believe in God, and i study sciences, sue me.

Is it? I doubt it bothered you much before you were born; so I doubt it will bother you much when you're dead.

I was reading back through the last few pages and reading what everyone had written and when i came to this I began to think. Like thecreepingmess said, we didn't exist before we were born. We didn't begin in heaven or hell then pop into our mothers stomachs and started to grow. It wasn't depressing or upsetting because we didnt even have the capability to think about not being alive. How come can't it be that way after we're dead too? Its really hard to think about not being able to think and feel and move, but if you think about it, you can't have an opinion about it if you don't even exist. If we didnt 'exist' before we were born, then whose to say we dont 'exist' after we're dead?

Lol I dont see how God could of written it in the first place. I thought he lived in the clouds. Would he of sent it down using his magic powers?

It was Mathew, John and thats all I know. Hence the names and all that weird stuff.

Lol I dont see how God could of written it in the first place. I thought he lived in the clouds. Would he of sent it down using his magic powers?

It was Mathew, John and thats all I know. Hence the names and all that weird stuff.

what i was saying is that, alot of people read the bible too seriously as if God wrote it him/her/its self.

Guys you're just arguing the entire point of agnosticism back and forward. Some people believe in God, some do not, some want to but find it hard. That's all there is to it, stop trying to force other people to agree with you, cos that's known as preaching ;)

Whoahhhhhhh..Guys that is some deep shit your gettin into with this thread, lets just leave it there shall we???

I think it is really arrogant of the human race to think that we are the one 'true' race made by the overseer of everything, and we will be the only ones who he saves after death.

There are probably numerous other planets with intelligent life on out there in teh universe, so will it mean that when they die, God will do nothing for them and not permit their entrance into heaven?

I want there to be something after death, as it is hard to imagine just ending and that is it, so I hope there is a God.

It was actually prophets sent by god/ people carrying the word of God that wrote the old testament&parts of the new. old being people like Isiah(sp?) and new being St. Paul (or Saul..). The first 5 books were written by Moses (his scribe) and started off them bible. In a way, it was written 'in the words of god' but was put into human terminology as 'the language of god is too great for us humans' says my religion teacher.

Btw, that is purely an assumption. We don't know anything about the real old testament. It could have been written by a bunch of pharisee's to try and get people into their religion, but mainly, the events that are portrayed in the OT, namely the first 5 books, are just stories created to make understanding easier and more enjoyable.

I think it is really arrogant of the human race to think that we are the one 'true' race made by the overseer of everything, and we will be the only ones who he saves after death.

There are probably numerous other planets with intelligent life on out there in teh universe, so will it mean that when they die, God will do nothing for them and not permit their entrance into heaven?

I want there to be something after death, as it is hard to imagine just ending and that is it, so I hope there is a God.

Other intelligent life in the universe??? I'm sorry my freind but you are very naive. I just don't think you comprehend how unique and finally balanced the earth is. For example if there was only a 1% increase in oxygen in the atmosphere, there could be no life on this earth, I could go into very intricate detail about distance from the sun, the fact that we are one of the few solar syatems with one sun, but I won't because that would take all day.

I will however leave you with this, how long is time? You see in the eternity of time the life of our Solar system is but an insignifficant dot, the time of the earth is incomprehensiblely small and the time life has existed on earth even smaller, and Humans (the only intelligent life known on earth) have only existed a few hundred thousand years.

So what I am trying to say is that the chance of there being intelligent life out there AT THE SAME TIME as intelligent life existing on earth is minuet given the fine balance of life giving planets, in fact you'd have a better chance of getting repeatedly hit by lighting every minute for the rest of your life.

Oh and lets not get into STRING htoery here. That being that everything is made of tiny strings...which basically states that there are infinite parralel universes for anything that could happen.

Well, I think it's a common misperception that you're either "for" science *or* God. If you actually read the bible it makes a lot of sense.

Examples:

Genesis tells the order of creation - planets, light, sea creatures, flying creatures, land creatures, man. This ties in with scientific evidence. Whether or not you beleive in Evolution or Creation (or Creation via Evolution on God's part) the order is the same.

The water cycle. This is briefly mentioned in the bible about water returning to heavens to fall again (I might try find some of this stuff later if I get time), although it was recorded in the bible long before any real scientific texts on the subject were written.

The earth as a sphere. The book of Daniel refers to the Earth as a "sphere... hanging upon nothing". This was at a time when the general opinion was that the earth was flat, resting on the back of giant turtles, etc.

There's more but none that spring immediately to mind. However, I beleive that science and God can co-exist. After all, if God did exist it would probably be a better move to make things occur as if they had naturally formed than to magically create everything in a literal week (I beleive by the "days" of Genesis it is refering more to time periods than actual literal days - after all, light wasn't created on the first "day" so how could you even measure?).

Man, these topics get really deep, huh? Oh well, everyone is free to beleive whatever they want - those of us who beleive in God are grateful to him for that.

(I beleive by the "days" of Genesis it is refering more to time periods than actual literal days - after all, light wasn't created on the first "day" so how could you even measure?).

The word translated as day may also be translated as 'an indeterminate amount of time'.

I agree with the rest of your post too.

I actually went to a lecture yesterday which was mainly about genetics and evolution, but also had a lot of philosophy thrown into it. The scientist, Arber (who discovered resistricion endonucleases, all you biology kids) was a Christian and was saying that he felt that evolution was God being lazy (for want of a word), and "why physically alter every species, or leave them to do it themselves?" He had a point. Interesting lecture.

ah no not another thread like this..

to answer the original question.....no one knows if there is a God or not, but what we do know is Science..

this thread has gotten Deap! i believe there is a greater being i supose but im still not shure about GOD! im kind of sitting on the fence about god! and i could fall any side! :)

ifirjjkt.jpg

Take The quiz yourself!

Sign in to follow this