NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

The JF Trailer starts showing the sky of Cocoon, then the scene changes to the inside of the train that's headed for Pulse. Lightning and one of the new characters are hiding where the captives are.

New character 1: They're coming.

Lightning: Keep quiet...

Lightning attacks a nearby soldier, everyone else is surprised. She takes them down quickly until all of them are defeated.

Captive: Just hurry up! We'll make everyone else fight.

Lightning: You'll be in my way.

An announcement is made in the area where the train is. I can't really hear what exactly he's saying, but he's probably a high ranking politician of Cocoon

Lightning: Give me that!

Lightning uses a rocket launcher like the one Snow used in the previous trailer

The announcement guy keeps talking, he says something along the lines of "On behalf of the citizens, I would like to thank all of you. Thanks to all of you for immigrating to Pulse, peace and order will be kept in Cocoon." but sounds sarcastic.

New character 2: Immigrating! After so much they've done...

Snow: You stay here. Stay here and protect everyone!

New Character 3: This is impossible!

New Character 4: Hey, if we were gone, you would've had to protect all of them by yourself.

New Character 3: That sounds even worse...

Snow: Then let's become heroes together! Our enemies are the Cocoon soldiers, and on top of that they're those feared Psi soldiers.

New Character 5: What do you mean "feared"? They're no match for us Nola(?)

Snow: We are the heroes after all.

Snow: Relax, I won't let you all be sent to Pulse. We'll do something about this.

Captive: We'll help too!

Captive: Yeah, we'll make them pay!

Snow: Alright, come with us if you can fight. But I'll leave this [gun] behind. Can someone hold onto it?

[Vanille stretches her hands toward Snow]

Vanille: ...Okay!

Snow: Protect everyone in case something happens... [winks]

[Vanille points the gun elsewhere and smiles at Snow]

Vanille: Bang~

Scene changes, Snow is seen falling down a cliff, the guy who pushed him down is this guy on the whiteboard.

Lightning's gameplay starts, fights off more soldiers. After 15 seconds or so a boss battle's shown.

New Character 4: So what's the plan?

Snow: Take all of them down!

New Character 3: That's not even a plan...

New Character 5: But making it through is what will make us heroes!

Snow's gameplay, he was seen summoning the Shiva bike and running over soldiers.

Even more announcements...

New character 4: Your lost item's arrived.

Lightning: Yeah... Inside is...

New Character 4: The fal'Cie of Pulse...

The screen suddenly becomes completely white.

Snow: Sera!

The iced place with the sunken ship is seen.

Snow: It's Sera... Sera came to save us!

Lightning: Enough already! Don't you get it? Because of you Sera was...!

New Character 3: It's the power of l'Cie...!

[The character is looking at a monster with a creepishly moving face of a person]

New Character 3: It was cursed by fal'Cie! It turned into l'Cie!

New Character 7: The mission of l'Cie... Isn't explained in words like do this, do that.

Lightning: If you don't know your mission... Then it's impossible to complete.

Vanille: I think... it's already been seen.

Lightning: "Seen"?

Snow: To protect this world... Is our mission! It'll be alright... If more of them come I'll fight them off. I won't let anyone die. I'll protect this world... I'll protect Sera too!

[Lightning becomes angered]

[Lightning makes a fist, and punches Snow. Snow falls to the ground]

Lightning: You didn't help at all!!

Snow: That's why we'll be saved!!

[Lightning punches him again]

Lightning: And what's left for us to do?!

Snow: Anything!!

Lightning is about to punch Snow again, but she puts her hand down. She makes a sad expression, and the trailer ends.

new scans:

335scan1.jpg

335scan2.jpg

335scan3.jpg

335scan4.jpg

- Apparently the MP system is gone and is replaced with a "cost" system.

- In one turn, you can stock up a series of commands and activate them all at once, instead of choosing one. Also, depending on the pattern of the commands you choose, Lightning's actions will change. For example, choosing "attack-attack-fire" and "attack-fire-attack" will activate different movements of Lightning. At the beginning of the game the maximum number of stocks per turn is 3, but it is very likely that the number will increase as you progress through the game.

- ATB is updated in the game, where you can to control the amount of the ATB gauge to use. For example, if you choose the maximum amount of commands in a turn, the gauge will become empty, but if you choose only one command in a turn, the loss of the gauge will be minimal.

- A yellow bar is displayed on the top right corner of the screen, which displays a "bonus" percentage on the bottom and the chain attack number on the top. "BREAK" replaces the chain number when the chain attack is broken. The use of the bar and the meaning of the bonus percentage is still unknown.

- The field system is very similar to FFXII's where the enemies are visible, and you have the choice to engage in combat or ignore. On the field you can check the enemies' names and HPs before you go into combat.

- The main enemies from the Holy Government are the Gewalt hounds, and the PSICOM soldiers. When Lightning was still in the Holy Government, she had some kind of association with PSICOM.

- The giant mechanical enemy that Lightning has been seen with on the train belongs to the Holy Government, and is called Manasvin. It mainly attacks with lasers and with circular blades that are attached to its wings.

- During gameplay, Lightning's weapon's form can freely be changed by a command in the menu. From a blade, to a gun, and vice versa.

- Lightning uses her weapon with her right hand, while she uses magic with her left hand. She does not summon gravity with her own powers, instead, she uses a special mechanic that's attached to her left hand.

- Not much of the new character on the bottom left corner of page 3 is revealed, except the fact that he knows Lightning since she was with the government.

new scans:

335scan1.jpg

335scan2.jpg

335scan3.jpg

335scan4.jpg

- Apparently the MP system is gone and is replaced with a "cost" system.

- In one turn, you can stock up a series of commands and activate them all at once, instead of choosing one. Also, depending on the pattern of the commands you choose, Lightning's actions will change. For example, choosing "attack-attack-fire" and "attack-fire-attack" will activate different movements of Lightning. At the beginning of the game the maximum number of stocks per turn is 3, but it is very likely that the number will increase as you progress through the game.

- ATB is updated in the game, where you can to control the amount of the ATB gauge to use. For example, if you choose the maximum amount of commands in a turn, the gauge will become empty, but if you choose only one command in a turn, the loss of the gauge will be minimal.

- A yellow bar is displayed on the top right corner of the screen, which displays a "bonus" percentage on the bottom and the chain attack number on the top. "BREAK" replaces the chain number when the chain attack is broken. The use of the bar and the meaning of the bonus percentage is still unknown.

- The field system is very similar to FFXII's where the enemies are visible, and you have the choice to engage in combat or ignore. On the field you can check the enemies' names and HPs before you go into combat.

- The main enemies from the Holy Government are the Gewalt hounds, and the PSICOM soldiers. When Lightning was still in the Holy Government, she had some kind of association with PSICOM.

- The giant mechanical enemy that Lightning has been seen with on the train belongs to the Holy Government, and is called Manasvin. It mainly attacks with lasers and with circular blades that are attached to its wings.

- During gameplay, Lightning's weapon's form can freely be changed by a command in the menu. From a blade, to a gun, and vice versa.

- Lightning uses her weapon with her right hand, while she uses magic with her left hand. She does not summon gravity with her own powers, instead, she uses a special mechanic that's attached to her left hand.

- Not much of the new character on the bottom left corner of page 3 is revealed, except the fact that he knows Lightning since she was with the government.

Really, REALLY can't wait for this! It gets nostalgic just thinking of the in-game tutorials of the fighting system.

I wonder if I'll get to test this. I wonder if I want to test this...

Snow: To protect this world... Is our mission! It'll be alright... If more of them come I'll fight them off. I won't let anyone die. I'll protect this world... I'll protect Sera too!

[Lightning becomes angered]

[Lightning makes a fist, and punches Snow. Snow falls to the ground]

Lightning: You didn't help at all!!

Snow: That's why we'll be saved!!

[Lightning punches him again]

Lightning: And what's left for us to do?!

Snow: Anything!!

Lightning is about to punch Snow again, but she puts her hand down. She makes a sad expression, and the trailer ends.

Wow... so I'm guessing there will be a lot more of this woman-on-man violence cliche. Why is it cool when this happens? There'd never be a scene of a man punching a woman multiple times.

Wow... so I'm guessing there will be a lot more of this woman-on-man

Sales +1

Make that 2.

As long as it's not a button mashing game like FFVII:CC and the Kingdom Hearts series were like. Plus not to have shit characters like the ones in Final Fantasy X....I think it will be a buy for me easily.

As long as it's not a button mashing game like FFVII:CC and the Kingdom Hearts series were like. Plus not to have shit characters like the ones in Final Fantasy X....I think it will be a buy for me easily.

Define "shit characters". :/

Define "shit characters". :/

I just didn't like the characters, the game....felt like I was watching an awful teenagers soapy. Never liked the game, made Final Fantasy VIII seem awesome.

Not to mention that there were times in that game were I was watching a scene...and it was really a pointless cut scene that was a big waste of time.

I'm with you on that one X's characters were horrible. Although Auron was cool.

I just didn't like the characters, the game....felt like I was watching an awful teenagers soapy. Never liked the game, made Final Fantasy VIII seem awesome.

Thats because FFVIII IS awesome :)

I'm with you on that one X's characters were horrible. Although Auron was cool.

Agreed. Auron was the man.

Apart from Tidus, Kimahri and Yuna the FFX characters were actually quite good since they had decent personalities and mannerisms. Auron and Wakka are good examples of characters who were made to have personalities that felt like they really matched them by the end of the game. I could just picture Wakka as a borderline Jamaican guy who loafs around playing Blitzball and failing at it.

Some other games had a lot to learn in terms of how they made their characters feel more human. But then FFX had a lot to learn in terms of story and depth. FFX was a mixed bag. FFVIII was awesome.

GameSpot User Translated Kitase Famitsu Interview:

Interviewer (hereafter "I": First of all, we'd like to hear what kind of year you've had.

Kitase (hereafter "K": This year I was set to work on Sigma Harmonics and Final Fantasy Dissidia, two portable games.

I: What was your impression of the game industry as a whole this year?

K: That'll also turn into talk of portable games, but I can't help but think that this past year, portable game systems have become even more a 'typical' thing. That is, before the DS was released, playing portable games outside would get you a bunch of strange looks from others (he's talking about adults playing portables), but now it's totally normal for people to play.

I: I see. Incidentally, is there anything you observed in regards to already released (not sure if 'released' is the right word....) hardware?

K: Personally, I think the casual games available for download were fun, and I played them often. The few hundred yen price is quite nice. I also often buy extra content for games, haha.

I: Do you plan to add those elements to the games you're working on yourself, Mr. Kitase?

K: I wonder, haha. For example, with a game type like FF13, you really have to put the whole thing in one package, so it's not easy to do that (add extra content for purchase). If we made plans to make new downloadables, it would turn into a full blown game, I think.

I: Then, what kind of year do you think 2009 will be for you personally?

K: It's the year that XIII speeds toward facing completion. Together with that, I want to see the PS3['s popularity] gain ground, too. In spring, there's the plans for the demo to come out, so if we're (the industry) given the energy to speed both along, it would be great.

I: In order for the hardware to catch on, what do you think it needs more of?

K: Of course, having interesting and fun sftware for the system would make users think "I want to play those games."

I: If that [software] was FFXIII, that would be great, wouldn't it?

K: Of course, if FFXIII became a reason for people to buy a PS3, I would be most happy. From FFXIII's announcement until now, weve shown much pre-rendered material. However, after we get into 2009, I'm thinking we'll be showing more realtime rendered material. In the demo, I want to show the definite form of FFXIII, and gradually build on the game from there.

I: In the demo, to what degree will we be able to play?

K: There's still quite some time before the game comes out, so the demo will probably extend to 'pinning down the foundations,' but I believe you will be able to properly experience 'the new Final Fantasy on the Playstation 3.' By all means, please try it out.

I: So 2009 will be a year focused on FFXIII, it seems?

K: 3rd Birthday and Agito XIII are also being developed side by side [with FFXIII], but it's certain that the focus will be more on XIII. The entire work is quite large, and it will still take some time, but it seems the base pieces have been finished, and it seems like the completion is coming into view.

I: It seems 2009 will be quite busy, doesn't it?

K: Constructiing the foundation of FFXIII has taken a long period of time, so I want this year to be the one to bring the fruits of our labor, I think. Also, for people to feel the force of FFXIII as a unified work, we'll be doing various promotions. Right now, the public isn't very involved, but we need to push FFXIII out into the light, I think. If we produce a great work and rouse demand [for games], Japan's economy could brighten up, maybe, haha. By all means, I'd love to see the game industry pull up the economy, you know?

FFXII.Net Translated Dengeki Playstation Info:

Here's a summary of everything in Dengeki Playstation for FF13 this December. Most of it is their interpretations of the screenshots they published, and I believe most of theirs match up with Famitsu's fairly well. They really seem like they're going to release Jump Festa related stuff later on.

I wrote out Toriyama's interview block in full, but a lot of the rest of the translation is just summary. If somebody actually wants to hear a part in full, just say so, but I don't really want to spend over 5 hours on something with no new definite information. XD Also, this stuff isn't in order, since I'm sticking the newer/more interesting stuff at the top.

Toriyama:

2009 is the year of the beginning of legends and evolution. The presented team is striving to meet [the expectations] of an exciting winter. Characters, settings, and story elements, as well as monsters and summons as battle elements, solidly constructed on the PS3 system, an evolution in hardware so far unexperienced(the PS3), will be brought together to compose a thrilling, new and perfect 'Final Fantasy'.

Especially this time around, in a completely reformed battle scheme, from the single command "Attack," many variations will be born. The evolved ATB system is coming around, with the goal of "looks cool, feels good to play," and combat that can spring up at any time, with an exhilirating feeling when commands are entered.

Please try it out yourself in the demo with the Advent Children Complete disc coming out in spring. Information will come out one piece after the other this year, so please follow the culmination of the project until its release along with us.

They claim Vanille has been chosen as a L'cie, and that "she says she has 'seen' the mission". They write:

The entity that protects mankind, Fal'cie.

The entities chosen by the Fal'cie, the L'cie.

And then Vanille, one chosen as a L'cie, who claims she has 'seen' her own mission.

The white armor judge dude is a newly revealed enemy. His words are full of confidence, but what kind of power is he wielding? (His words on the screenshot are: 'Throw down your weapons. I'll treat you properly.')

According to their explanation and screenshot order, not only does the enemy you touch engage you in battle, but also enemies near that enemy do. Encounter system is that contact with enemies on the field engages them. You can know exactly what you're going to be fighting from looking at them on the field.

They suggest that the building Vanille is looking at (face away from the camera) in her hooded outfit may be somehow connected to the L'cie's missions.

They suggest the military is keeping more types o monsters than just those ugly ones with the glowing green/blue claws for combat use.

"Attack ('fight' in the Japanese)," the standard attack command from previous FFs is among the chainable commands. They're not sure what the merit of chaining commands is. You can chain commands. The details are a bit unclear, but it seems as of now you can chain up to three.

They think the yellow mark by Lightning's name indicates the character currently being issued commands.

They act like "no MP" hasn't been confirmed.

Function of the bar next to Lightning's name is unknown, but is not HP.

Dengeki doesn't think that the Chain and Bonus markers in the upper right of the screen rise completely proportionally to each other.

They think the quality of the realtime is comparable to the pre-rendered.

The spark at Lightning's fingertips in one of the screens has to do with her gravity based powers. (durr)

They say there's a lot new about the battle system, but it's unmistakably Final Fantasy.

Lighting's line on a screenshot: "I deserted the military." -- Lightning was once a part of the military, her reasons for leaving are still unclear.

Complete repeat stuff:

Lightning and the mysterious dude standing in front of a mysterious building (with the glowing green person-like thing on it).. They have no idea what the building is, but they think the person-like thing is a statue or sculpture in the building's wall.

Small description of Snow, no new information.

Small description of Lightning, no new information.

A small blurb about summons, as well as a small, vague mention of some pieces of the Jump Festa trailer in regards to Lightning's allies.

They have another small blurb vaguely talking about Jump Festa, saying that the battle action was too fast for fans to completely understand what was going on in terms of the system, but that it largely left a very Final Fantasy impression on them. They don't have a lot of info on it, but they feel that it looks like more than a simple turn based system, due to the constant movement in the battle scenes.

They do mention that several new characters were shown at "events" (unnamed) this year's end, but don't mention anything beyond that they appeared in a scene where Lightning hijacks a train to rescue people being migrated to Pulse with a new male character. This would be a reference to Jump Festa, which they appear to have been severely gagged in regards to. No relevant picture is attached to the small blurb about it. They just stuck one of Lightning doing a backflip with her gravity abilities in there.

Dante, think you'll have to add finalfantasy-xiii.net to the list of sites you can't leech images from :heh: (along with gaming-age)

Not really that impressed tbh.

Why should I be excited for this? I've genuinely forgotten.

Not really that impressed tbh.

Why should I be excited for this? I've genuinely forgotten.

I kinda understand what you mean. But for me, I would like to witness that new dual world, tactical battles, a mini game as addictive as Bliztball, summons, music, atmosphere... I just miss the whole Final Fantasy experience due to side-stepping FF11 and 12.

I kinda understand what you mean. But for me, I would like to witness that new dual world, tactical battles, a mini game as addictive as Bliztball, summons, music, atmosphere... I just miss the whole Final Fantasy experience due to side-stepping FF11 and 12.

This ^ (I skipped 10, 11, and 12) and the fact that Dragon Quest isnt coming to the PS3 afaik is the reason im getting it.

I do admit though, new FF releases dont pull me in the way they used to. The series has progressively lost much of the simplistic charm that VI perfected

Fair enough. I've never played an FF game, don't ask me how I got hired by Square, except for the first disk of 9 but I got bored of that.

I hope I like this.

Dante, think you'll have to add finalfantasy-xiii.net to the list of sites you can't leech images from :heh: (along with gaming-age)

Okay Shorty. :p :(

New Info?

Keywords

First a little summary of what we know so far about the game’s world. fal’Cie created Cocoon, a floating city with millions of people and pick their l’Cie to carry out their missions. The city is governed by the Holy Government and prosper thanks to the use of crystals. Lightning, Snow and the newly named Oeba Dia Vanille are all l’Cie, who fal’Cie communicate with through “Vision”. It seems that even these l’Cie are not clear of their missions.

Oeba Dia Vanille

Final Fantasy XIIIIn the latest trailer, Vanille is seen being taken away by guards waiting to be expelled to Pulse, a world underneath Cocoon that the people of Cocoon very afraid of. Holy Government has the right to expel people they suspect of having ‘bad influence’ on Cocoon, although it’s still unknown what Vanille did to get herself into trouble. She is also friend to Lightning and Snow, the latest screen shows her playing around with Snow’s weapon. Her own weapon is something looks like curvy tree branches and can be folded when not in use. Famitsu also noted that since her fashion is so different from Lightning and others, it’s possible that Cocoon also has people of different cultures. While she may looks cute and cheerful, Famitsu says there are some tragic story behind her.

Holy Government Army

Final Fantasy XIIIThe Holy Government army, where Lightning used to be a former soldier, is a mix of normal soldier called “Psicom” and monsters that are mechanically enhanced. Psicom’s is being lead by a general that appears to be strong with his special tactic skills.

Final Fantasy XIIILightning and a mysterious character, who Famitsu says seems to know Lightning pretty well, standing in front of a “Ibutsu” (foreign substance) ‘tied’ with light strings. “Ibutsu” has the ability to turn water and ice into crystal and there is ’something’ inside it that Lightning wanted.

Lightning

Final Fantasy XIII

CG and real-time versions of Lightning, which looks almost similar. As mentioned before, Lightning was formerly a member of the Holy Government army and in a cut scene (above right), she can be seen telling somebody that she wasn’t fired or being kicked out from the army, but do so voluntarily.

Before battles, she can triggers a tiny object in her thumb and a blue wave will then surrounds her, which seems to give her the power to control objects. The weapon in her hand can change from a sword to gun on the fly too. Besides weapons, she has magic attacks and as one of the commands shown, she can use Cure magic too.

Battle System

Battles in FFXIII take place on the spot and depending on the command being used, the viewpoint will change automatically in order to present a battle that is fast and smooth. If there are other members in the party, they will help you out with moves such as follow-up attacks on enemies that you just sent flying away. You can also switch to other characters on the fly during battles.

Final Fantasy XIII

Lightning is up against a large size “Heavy Attack Manasvin” made by the Holy Government. The machine is being used for patrol as well and the massive looking laser attack seems deadly. Its various parts suggest a wide variety of attacking options.

Final Fantasy XIII

Command Stock: Players select the “Action” (the five buttons near the bottom left of the screen) they would like to use, which is then moved to the Command Stock slots (three slots above the Action buttons) to be executed in turn. Some “Action” buttons seem to have several layers behind them, which means you’ll have more than five actions to choose from.

Command Cost: Each of the “Action” has a number attached to them, this is the “Cost” or the number of slots that particular “Action” will take in the Command Stock. For example, you can have three Fire command in the list since it’s “Cost” is only 1 but you can only use Firaga, which costs 3, if you have three empty slots in the Command Stock.

Enhanced ATB (Active Time Battle): The bar underneath Lightning’s name (the one with 444 value) indicates that the game will be using ATB system, where players can perform various actions before it’s empty. However, ATB in FFXIII is a little different and can be controlled by the players as it is affected by the kind of commands being executed in the Command Stock. Commands with larger “Cost” will drain the bar faster compare commands with lower “Cost”.

Symbol Encounter: Enemies are visible on the map and again there will be no battle screen transition.

Chain & Bonus: Located at the top right of the screen, Chain shows the number of consecutive hits you inflicted on the enemies while Bonus’ use is still unclear at this point. Previous reports shows “Overclock” in place of Bonus, Famitsu says this probably has something to do with increasing certain ability of your character. The word “Break” can be seen replacing “Chain” in some screens, still no official words on that but Famitsu says it probably related to Final Fantasy VII’s Limit Break.

Enemy’s HP: Unlike previous games, enemies’ name and HP are displayed.

Demo

In typical Square Enix fashion, you can only play the demo, which was announced at TGS2008, by buying the expensive versions of Final Fantasy VII Advent Chirldren Complete. Three versions of the Blu-ray disc were announced actually, First Print Normal Edition and PlayStation 3 Bundle First Print Normal Edition will have the demo (Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII’s trailers also included) while Normal Edition will only has the movie.