NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

good to see all the Pcs still look absoloutely ridiculous :)

Wouldn't have it any other way. :kiss:

Toriyama: "fal'Cie" is beyond humanity and associated with the crystal. fal'Cie is not only one being but many, and one of them stepped up to created Cocoon. "l'Cie" are people chosen by fal'Cie to take on a Focus and a marking of their identity. Lightning and the others become chosen as "l'Cie" and each of them must take on their destiny and fight. While peaceful everyday lives are shattered at every corner, they must fight, and move forward no matter what the cost is. That is how the story will go. The reason of existence of fal'Cie is only because the crystal desires them, so the explanations given from the human point of view in the story might not be completely true. fal'Cie and l'Cie might exist in "Versus XIII" and "Agito XIII" also, but their purposes will definitely differ in each game.

Yawn... I hope the gameplay is solid because nothing about this story peaks my interest or further investigation

Early copy of FF demo

http://esegk.com/ff13demo.cgi

Screens being added, keep checking back for updates. Looks great. Scratch that, looks amazing for a RPG. Cant wait. Good to hear its on track for 2009 (winter Japanese).

There is also a new video for FFXIII VS on the disk. Has an ingame cutscene. You can tell thanks to some obvious low poly count in places but it looks almost as good as the CG.

http://ja.justin.tv/esegk

Edited by Choze

If, like me, you're fed up of badly captured YouTube footage, Gamersyde have pulled through once again with direct feed HD footage. You can find all the XIII stuff here and the Versus trailer here.

I'd love this game to not hit targets so SquEx stopped making so many other sub-par JRPGs.

That demo alone is 5.09 GB.

The 360 packaging,

abm7bs.jpg

Edited by Daft

Hopefully they make use of the PS3 properly.

Looks promising though. Videos areout everywhere. Real shame they arent doing the Euro demo due to MS's deal.

Hopefully they make use of the PS3 properly.

Looks promising though. Videos areout everywhere. Real shame they arent doing the Euro demo due to MS's deal.

What's with that? I have played a ton of the older Final Fantasy games but none of the more modern ones seem as I didn't own a PS1 or 2. But this is kinda on my radar now as read the EDGE feature and watched some of the vids...

It feels like now I own a console I can get a FF game whilst its cutting edge I really should get it...

What's with that? I have played a ton of the older Final Fantasy games but none of the more modern ones seem as I didn't own a PS1 or 2. But this is kinda on my radar now as read the EDGE feature and watched some of the vids...

It feels like now I own a console I can get a FF game whilst its cutting edge I really should get it...

This is Square.

What do you mean by that?

Game will come out here when the the next gen is out.

When asked by VideoGamer whether the Blu-ray demo would reach western shores, Kitase said that "We currently have no plan of doing that abroad, partly because we are going to carry on with the project alongside the Xbox version, so we really can't just make it available only for the PS3."

Arseholes MS and SE. :D

The demo seems to show them regressing rather than progressing.

Edited by Choze

IGNPS3 - Shiva Sisters Have Names

Final Fantasy XIII breaks from series tradition is many ways, but one could make an argument that the way summons are handled is the most surprising.

As revealed by Square Enix staff during interview sessions at E3, you don't just summon FFXIII summons. You ride them!

Snow's summon was previously announced to be Shiva. The FFXIII version of Shiva differs from past Shivas, though, in that she's made up of two girls, one with a white face, and one with a black face. The latest issue of Jump has provided us with their names.

The one with the black face is Styria. She's the older of the two. The one with the white face is Nix (possibly named after the IGN writer -- we're not sure). Nix is the younger of the two.

You might have noticed this in the extended E3 trailer, but when Snow calls Styria and Nix out, they can either fight alongside him like a normal summon, or merge into a motorcycle for Snow to ride. When riding Shiva, the battle system switches to "Driving Mode." Subsequent attacks require that you press special button combinations to perform such moves as "Auto Drive" (Circle), Wheelie Rush (Up + Circle), Air Edge (X) and Diamond Dust (Triangle). This phase of the battle appears to be time constrained.

ffxiiis-shiva-sisters-have-names-20090608085530981-000.jpg

Styria, Snow, and Nix.

There's still a lot of mystery surrounding the game's Driving Mode. Will you get to ride everyone? If so, what will Lightning's summon Odin, shown in playable form at the Microsoft press conference, transform into?

As revealed during interviews at E3, FFXIII is 60% complete and is gearing up for a Japanese release this Winter with a world release to follow in the Spring. Expect details to start flowing shortly.

IGN:PS3 -

With that juicy new E3 trailer showing lots of new, mysterious bits on Final Fantasy XIII, we've been counting the days for the new issue of Famitsu so that we could finally make sense of it all. The big day is today, and Japan's biggest game magazine came through with a massive 17 page feature on the game, filled with new details.

Unfortunately, a good amount of the feature is merely speculation. But it's speculation from presumably Famitsu's FF pros, so we'll pass along what they say.

The battle footage in the new trailer and from the live Xbox 360 gameplay demonstration showed a bunch of new icons that weren't in the Japan-only PS3 Advent Children demo. Some of these can be seen in these screens at Famitsu.com. Of particular note is the icon to the upper left of the timer gauge. It shows the L1 trigger next to words like "Tri Disaster" and "Delta Strike" depending on the screenshot. Below all that is the word "Optima." The magazine speculates that the use of "tri" and "delta" indicates that this could have something to do with a move involving your full party of three.

The character life gauge area to the lower right of the battle interface has been updated with phrases like "ATK" and "BLK" next to character names, and a "TP" level listed next to gauge for the character you're controlling. Famitsu's editors speculate that BLA and ATK could have something to do with, respectively, black magic and attack, while TP could have something to do with the new "TP Skill" option that's now available in the main command window.

The only gameplay area the magazine provides new solid facts about is the Driving Mode -- the new form of summon where you get to ride your summon beasts. Previously, we introduced FFXIII's take on Shiva, which has sisters Nix and Styria appear to take the place of Snow's allies on the battle field. By clearing certain conditions, you'll be able to get the sisters to merge into a motorcycle, which Snow can then ride as part of the battle system's Driving Mode. It's unclear what that "certain condition" is, although while the summons are on the battle field, a gauge beneath Snow's HP count has the word "Drive" next to it, suggesting that you'll be able to go into driving mode by building this up somehow.

Driving Mode apparently turns FFXIII into somewhat of an action game. You can freely control the motorcycle with the analogue pad, and attack by inputting commands. You won't be able to use this mode forever, though. Eventually, you'll have to execute a finish move, bringing an end to Driving Mode. Shiva will also disappear here, leaving Snow with his more mortal battle members.

Driving Mode is not something that's limited to just Shiva. The magazine confirms that other summons will have driving modes where they transform into some sort of ridable form. We'll have to wait for a future update to learn just what those forms are.

Outside of this, the magazine confirms one thing we've heard before but are excited to hear again. While the Advent Children demo limited your strategy to a basic pattern of getting characters into a break state then launching them into the air, this is just one of many patterns that you'll find in the true FFXIII battle system. In addition to additional attack forms, you'll find a variety of patterns for mid-air combos. This could include cross character combos, the magazine speculates.

Elsewhere in the feature, producer Yoshinori Kitase, director Motomu Toriyama, and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo shared a few additional details on the story areas of the game.

As we saw in the demo, FFXIII kicks off as Snow and Lightening are trying to stop a group of Cocoon residents from being forced to the underworld of Pulse. This "purging" is actually a recent thing which started when a Pulse Fal'cie was discovered within Cocoon. Prior to the start of the purges, there was no means of connecting the two worlds.

Lighting, Snow and Vanille were already known to be L'cie characters -- that is, people who have been chosen by the Fal'cie. So too is Sazh, Famitsu reveals. Toriyama revealed to the magazine that the group of protagonists are all L'cie who were chosen by Pulse Fal'cie. The Cocoon Fal'cie also choose L'cie.

So what exactly is a Fal'cie? Famitsu asked if a Fal'cie is the same as a crystal. The answer is no. Fal'cie have crystals within them which act as an energy source. Based on their function, they form a body around the crystal. The resulting mass is a Fal'cie. Toriyama described a Fal'cie as a god machine surrounding a crystal.

The Fal'cie are not the ultimate gods, though. In the Fabula Nova Crystalis mythology, there is an even bigger god who left behind the Fal'cie machines. From the perspective of humans, however, the Fal'cie are gods. The reason is that they give birth to a variety of things which help improve life.

Summon spells are tied into the story. Once a L'cie has developed enough, he or she can make use of summon spells. Toriyama suggested that the summon spells could be a solid representation of what's in the L'cie's hearts.

As previously detailed, each L'cie has a marking somewhere on his or her body. This marking is used to produce the crystals which are used for the summon spells. The crystals take on different shapes apparently in relation to the character's personality. For instance, Snow's crystal is in the shape of a heart to indicate life. Lightning's crystal is in the shape of a rose to indicate her high class.

As for the L'cie markings, finding their position appears to be part of the fun. While Snow's marking is on his arm, Lightning's is apparently on her breast area somewhere. Toriyama wouldn't confirm if we'll get to see it.

The staff was even more shy about the identity of the new blond boy character who appeared in the E3 trailer. They wouldn't say if it's the same as the hooded character who appears at the end of the demo. Toriyama answered in the affirmative when asked if Tetsuya Nomura designed the character, to which Kitase jumped in and joked that Toriyama might have confirmed that the character is an ally.

Finally, the three developers discussed some of the differences between the two major areas of the game, Cocoon and Pulse.

While depicted in the demo as being a dark area, Cocoon is actually full of variation, with Kamikokuryo noting that it has everything from resorts to the forest scene that Lightning was shown walking through in the very first trailer.

The weather in Cocoon's natural areas are under the control of the Cocoon Fal'cie. Likewise, the Fal'cie in Pulse have brought about a unique culture to Pulse. Toriyama's wording in describing these two would seem to suggest something more passive in the influence of the Fal'cie on Pulse.

One difference between Pulse and Cocoon is that Pulse has greater natural landscapes, and thus greater monsters. You'll find giant beasts in Pluse. Kitase said that while you'll fight battles both in Cocoon and Pulse, the Pulse battles are of greater variety due to the greater expanses.

You might have recently seen an image of Lightning walking around on a giant open field. That area was a part of Pulse (as you should have guessed, given that the Cocoon world is visible in the sky). Lighting would normally encounter monsters on this field, but Square Enix is not showing this area of the game yet.

While we're a bit disappointed that Kitase and crew aren't being all that open about gameplay, especially considering how much is shown in the trailer, we're certainly pleased to see details on FFXIII continuing to trickle out. While waiting for additional updates on FFXIII (Tokyo Game Show is only three months away!), we'd suggest scruitinizing the E3 trailer and Xbox 360 gameplay segments for further clues.

387shonen.jpg

2gv53rl.jpg

294m9np.jpg

x38uu8.jpg

20ti2co.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

FF confuses me. Is it trying to be a movie like MGS with battles in between? Because it looks great but it's not like you can really appreciate the graphics if they are just static parts of a fighting arena. The pictures look cool, the bike looks badass, but is there interaction in the game? I'm under the impression that you won't actually ride the thing.

FF confuses me. Is it trying to be a movie like MGS with battles in between? Because it looks great but it's not like you can really appreciate the graphics if they are just static parts of a fighting arena. The pictures look cool, the bike looks badass, but is there interaction in the game? I'm under the impression that you won't actually ride the thing.

20ti2co.jpg

"The only gameplay area the magazine provides new solid facts about is the Driving Mode -- the new form of summon where you get to ride your summon beasts. Previously, we introduced FFXIII's take on Shiva, which has sisters Nix and Styria appear to take the place of Snow's allies on the battle field. By clearing certain conditions, you'll be able to get the sisters to merge into a motorcycle, which Snow can then ride as part of the battle system's Driving Mode. It's unclear what that "certain condition" is, although while the summons are on the battle field, a gauge beneath Snow's HP count has the word "Drive" next to it, suggesting that you'll be able to go into driving mode by building this up somehow.

Driving Mode apparently turns FFXIII into somewhat of an action game. You can freely control the motorcycle with the analogue pad, and attack by inputting commands. You won't be able to use this mode forever, though. Eventually, you'll have to execute a finish move, bringing an end to Driving Mode. Shiva will also disappear here, leaving Snow with his more mortal battle members.

Driving Mode is not something that's limited to just Shiva. The magazine confirms that other summons will have driving modes where they transform into some sort of ridable form. We'll have to wait for a future update to learn just what those forms are."

So there's real time fighting or is the bike only part of battles? Don't see much need for a bike in battle unless you want to run something over (obviously it's a special bike).

It sounds and looks really good. I am quite excited now. :) Plus Spring 2010.

It still sounds like it's crap from the info, with pretty graphics over it.

Come on Square, I used to remember when I was super hyped up for the mainline games, now...I am more looking forward to a spinoff (And no not FFVersusXIII, I am talking about games here, not movies)

Dante we are capable of looking for screenshots you know, you don't need to post every single one.