NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Ah forgot about Versus. Looks like FF Versus XIII is PS3 exclsuive still. MAkes the announcement all the more weird.

Looks like FF Versus XIII is PS3 exclsuive still.

For now... :heh: If FFXIII can run on 360 then so can it's versus variant and I wouldn't be surprised if we see that too, timed exclusive or not, anyways 360 owners are now getting the main game as well as PS3 owners, thats the real dealbreaker. :smile:

hmm.. just hope that it isnt another "troubled teenager who will avenge something while playing underwater rugby and meeting some girl who he at first doesnt like but then falls in love with" game... phew..

hmm.. just hope that it isnt another "troubled teenager who will avenge something while playing underwater rugby and meeting some girl who he at first doesnt like but then falls in love with" game... phew..

FFX was awesome! :wtf:

Looking forward to the game after Monday's announcement, I was prepared to buy a new console for it, but now I don't have to.

Owning all consoles means I get to fully experience all of the FF 13 universe, wooot! :D

FFX was awesome! :wtf:

Looking forward to the game after Monday's announcement, I was prepared to buy a new console for it, but now I don't have to.

Bear in mind its confirmed the game will first be developed exclusively on PS3 and released in Japan. As in, its still PS3 priority and sounds like the version to get (not to mention Versus XIII).

The question is how much will they gimp the PS3 version for it to run on the 360? Obviously Blu Ray + every ps3 has hdd is a huge advantage for PS3 and the system can display nicer graphics and produce better sound. If its seen as too similar SE will be accussed of dumbing down the game, especially when most of the userbase is in Japan and on PS3(moreso in the future). Let see what happens.

Not to mention its not really that much of a big release on 360 as PS3. As many e3 articles point out FFXIII isnt why people brought a 360 in the first place.

Bear in mind its confirmed the game will first be developed exclusively on PS3 and released in Japan. As in, its still PS3 priority and sounds like the version to get (not to mention Versus XIII).

The question is how much will they gimp the PS3 version for it to run on the 360? Obviously Blu Ray + every ps3 has hdd is a huge advantage for PS3 and the system can display nicer graphics and produce better sound. If its seen as too similar SE will be accussed of dumbing down the game, especially when most of the userbase is in Japan and on PS3(moreso in the future). Let see what happens.

Not to mention its not really that much of a big release on 360 as PS3. As many e3 articles point out FFXIII isnt why people brought a 360 in the first place.

I'd completely agree with what you've said. But I'd much rather pay £30-40 for a version of FFXIII than £300 for a new console just to play it.

Depends on how "similar" the 2 versions are, I suppose. I think they did say explicitly that the 2 will be the same in content, but they would say that now and I won't take their word for it at this point in time.

They'll likely look into a crazy compression to get it all on DVDs. Either they'll cut down the quality to have it on few discs or go all out and have many discs. Either way we'll get closer to knowing the difference between the 2 systems when this comes out, which has been rather debatable till now.

They may try and use the new run from hard drive feature for 360. In which case I'll cry because I've got an old 20GB.

But I agree it will be interesting to see how they go about it, and will definitely set the consoles apart.

Owning all consoles means I get to fully experience all of the FF 13 universe, wooot! :D

But, of course, the downside to that is having little to no life. ;P

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox360)

Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Mobile)

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)

Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Mobile)

Oh, woe is me. I guess no Agito for me....

Actually I better not have to test that piece of crap.

Roflhax. Not particularly excited about the announcement, but I suppose now, the only remaining reason for me to get a PS3 is for Wipeout HD (man I want that so hard.)

Oh, woe is me. I guess no Agito for me....

Actually I better not have to test that piece of crap.

I don't understand why games are released for mobile phones. The iPhone has improved mobile gaming but other phones are just uncomfortable and not really designed with gaming in mind.

Roflhax. Not particularly excited about the announcement, but I suppose now, the only remaining reason for me to get a PS3 is for Wipeout HD (man I want that so hard.)

That game has been hugely delayed due to technial issues, so says Kotaku today.

My bet? Online play is being a bastard.

You sound like you want to cry...

I'm sure the 360 version will be on par with the PS3 one; if it is 'worse' I imagine it'll be of a similar magnitude to, say, Burnout. The Crystal Tools engine is multiplatform and development work is done on a PC, so 'porting' the game to the Xbox should be fairly painless. Microsoft already buckled to Mistwalker when it comes to multi-disk games, too, so I don't see any major issues on the horizon.

I admit that at first I was a bit disappointed when FFXIII was announced for the the 360 as it was one of the reasons I bought a PS3. Five minutes later I realised how silly I was being.

I don't understand why games are released for mobile phones. The iPhone has improved mobile gaming but other phones are just uncomfortable and not really designed with gaming in mind.

I believe they are popular in Japan.

Otherwise I have no idea.

For me, this was the best news from E3 (FFXIII on 360). But would this mean the game will have to be spread over a few discs? And are there other possible technical aspects that the 360 may not be able to handle as opposed to the ps3?

For me, this was the best news from E3 (FFXIII on 360). But would this mean the game will have to be spread over a few discs? And are there other possible technical aspects that the 360 may not be able to handle as opposed to the ps3?
Likely not, but I think the general view is that theoretically there will be a difference from raw spec. This has been much debated all over the net (mostly cluttered with fanboys' trash posts) so nothing conclusive here, but that's precisely why I'm interested in this game so much.

The difficulty in coding for PS3 has been a well known point of debate as mentioned by various devs. What's interesting in this case is that FFXIII has been being developed on PS3 for so long now that SE has likely built up a good codebase. "DirectX" approach, like Xbox, has a massive knowledge base all over the world now, so the efficiency in porting the code to Xbox360 shouldn't be a prob.

So the rest is down to the 'raw' numbers i.e. disc capacity and processors. And I think Xbox360 will have some sort of downer somewhere along the line, either in (1) many disc swapping or compulsory high capacity HD, and/or (2) degradation of animation and multimedia. Some of the degradation can be circumvented by having even more disc swaps.

The fact that there will be some difference is no surprise, even purely based on the capacity difference between BD and DVD, but just how different is the big question that none of us can answer yet. It's no good having a dozen disc swaps or too much degradation in quality. So SE has to strike the balance here.

I guess it just remains to be seen how much data can be crammed on to one disk. Maybe they'll do dual sided disks, the top half is the install, the bottom half is the play disk, you'd be looking at over 15GB per disk that way. Repeat for disk 2 and that should (hopefully) be the lot and without too huge an install (5-8GB).

Wait til you see whats round the bend ;) Phones are becoming pretty powerfull and i know NVidia are working on some pretty powerfull chips right now. Gamecube in the palm of your hand sort of powerfull! I would think the mobile FF game will be for fairly powerfull phones tbh.

I originally thought that the PS3 version would be substantially better but then again do you think the reason for this is because now 360 games are to feature installation?

Makes me think if it will actually be limited in comparison? Depends how much data they install. Personally I wouldn't mind a certain number of discs to install then a game disc to play.

And whats the issue with changing discs anyway? Changing a disc in MGS4 would be faster than waiting for it to install after every level, I kinda welcome the return of disc changing. Bigger games. Hell it didn't impair my enjoyment of Lost Odyssey.

I remember saying "I'm on disc 4 of FF VII" kind of like an achievement. I miss disc changing.

The fact that FFXIII will now be on 360 means that there is only ONE reason for me to buy a PS3. (MGS4 if you want to know.)

This should be pretty good. It looks pretty awesome. It's the only Final Fantasy game I've ever looked forward to.

Well hopefully the game is good.

Changing a disc in MGS4 would be faster than waiting for it to install after every level

MGS4 doesnt use install for space. Besides a 50GB Blu Ray is more than twice the size of most 360 harddisks. It will never be a needed game feature on 360 unless MS want to do a SEGA.

And are there other possible technical aspects that the 360 may not be able to handle as opposed to the ps3?

SE said the content would be similar and the only difference was Blu Ray and DVD. Obviously that doesnt explain much. Hopefully this means nothing is compromised in the PS3 game for the 360. Versus has had no change in plans and is still PS3 only.

Besides that the game is currently solely being developed on PS3 for Japan. Once its finished it will be ported to 360.

And whats the issue with changing discs anyway?
Agreed! Why do people always complain at the prospect of a game coming on several disks? Sheesh, you obviously didn't grow up on PC or PSX gaming. It's really not that hard to switch disks two or three times during a 40+ hour timespan.

Oh and I'd rather change disks 5 times than wait 30 minutes for my game to install, using up 1/3 of my hard disk.