NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Keiji Honda is coming to the office tomorrow. Should be interesting. :heh:

There was a new trailer shown at work... shame I wasn't in that morning. :heh:

Versus still holds me more. I prefer the style way more.

There was a new trailer shown at work... shame I wasn't in that morning. :heh:

Versus still holds me more. I prefer the style way more.

Lucky you :(

Sqaure didnt show the TGS trailers outside from the behind close doors.

PS3 IGN Final Fantasy XIII

At long last, Final Fantasy XIII fanatics can stop referring to that blond-haired dude with the bandanna as that blond-haired dude with the bandanna. Thanks to the latest Famitsu, he now has a name, and as promised it's based off the weather.

Meet Snow Villiers. As you probably know, he has blond hair and he wears a bandanna. Famitsu describes Snow as one of the l'Cie, those people who are chosen by the fal'Cie to perform some mission. He has a positive outlook on things, but often makes his move without thinking.

Famitsu speculates, presumably based off the many new realtime screenshots included on its pages (for those who have the magazine, all shots on the third and fourth page of the FFXIII feature are real time), that Snow takes his mission, as handed out fal'Cie, seriously. He believes that in following the mission, he will be helping to protect the world.

new scans

7274620081022_090154_0_big.jpg

5086620081023_192727_4_big.jpg

5086620081023_192726_0_big.jpg

5086620081023_192727_6_big.jpg

5086620081023_192726_2_big.jpg

5086620081023_192726_1_big.jpg

5086620081023_192726_3_big.jpg

5086620081021_151850_9_big.jpg

5086620081023_192727_5_big.jpg

IGN PS3: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

As part of a twelve page blowout on the Fabula Nova Crystallis series this week, Famitsu gave FF Versus XIII its fair share with four pages of coverage. Unfortunately, there's no gameplay information, and most of the details are just speculation based off the included screenshots (all of which are confirmed by the magazine to be real time), but there are a few new bits of information on the hero and heroine.

The names of the two were revealed at the Tokyo Game Show to be Noctis Lucis Caelum and Stella Nox Fleuret. Stella is described by the magazine as a princess in the Fleuret family.

She and Noctis are shown in the magazine's screens discussing their ability to "see light." This may not sound all that special at first, but in Versus XIII, it's an ability that Noctis suggests keeping quiet about. Stella appears to be more open about the matter, even asking Noctis when he gained the ability.

Wondering what the characters' names mean? Typical for the FNC series, the two names are Latin. The three parts of the hero's name mean "Night, Light, and Sky." The three parts of the heroine's name mean "Star, Darkness, and Sword." Darkness is also the meaning of Stella's country's name.

Director and character designer Tetsuya Nomura shared with the magazine a few additional details on the characters. Nomura feels that the trailer footage (which you probably haven't seen, unless you made it out to the Tokyo Game Show) tells us a lot about the personalities of the two characters. Stella, for instance, is shown speaking politely to Noctis and without any apparent reserve. This is a reflection of her strong upbringing. In contrast, Noctis appears to be running away, and won't even make eye contact. It may appear that Noctis is cold and unsocial, but he's actually just shy, and he hides his shyness by putting on a veil of coolness.

Regarding Noctis, Nomura also notes that he may say one thing, but by watching him closely, you'll get the feeling that there's something different about him. His friends are often able to see through the cover, though.

Needless to say, despite four pages of coverage, Versus XIII still remains the most mysterious of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series. Things are slowly falling into place, though, with the main characters named and now detailed. Who knows -- perhaps the next update will come with a few hints at gameplay.

new scans

50871420081023_190011_0_big.jpg

50871420081023_190012_1_big.jpg

50871420081023_190453_0_big.jpg

50871420081023_190454_1_big.jpg

PSP IGN: Final Fantasy Agito XIII

In Agito, you play as a student who attends a magic school. Following an attack on your capital city of Rebrum by the Empire of Milites, which uses its own technology to make the crystals of its opponents ineffective, your fellow students end up leading the cause to free the city.

Students in your school all have their own specialties when it comes to weapons. When you first start out the game, you get to select the character type of your preference.

The game's battle system has the look of a traditional menu-based system, with a menu offering selections for attack, heal, and classic Final Fantasy spells. You face off against both soldiers from the invading army and against monsters.

Famitsu offers a look at characters who make use of whips, cards, and katana blades as their weapons (strangely, the screens in the magazine have the characters listed with their weapons as their names). Each weapon has its own unique characteristics which you'll have to make proper use of in order to be successful on the battle field.

In addition to weapons, you also make use of summon spells, with past creatures like Odin and Ragnarok confirmed for appearance. The summoned beast appears in place of your character, and is directly controllable by you. As previously disclosed, there's a raising component to the game when it comes to the summons.

new scans

73131120081023_191652_0_big.jpg

73131120081023_191652_1_big.jpg

73131120081023_191652_2_big.jpg

73131120081023_191653_3_big.jpg

Please god, let this be pure TURN-BASED, I hate that FF12 rendition of crapness. Anyone played FF-X2? That speedier TB system should be the norm, I feel.

Please god, let this be pure TURN-BASED, I hate that FF12 rendition of crapness. Anyone played FF-X2? That speedier TB system should be the norm, I feel.

Which one XIII, Versus XIII or Agito XIII?

new screenshots for the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

FFXIII

Versus XIII

Agito XIII

Final Fantasy XII - role-playing game

Final Fantasy Versus XIII - action role-playing game

Final Fantasy Agito XIII - role-playing game

Hey, when are the movies, FF XIII and FF Versus XIII due out for release in japan? Or has there yet to be any confirmation?

Word on that. FFXII was just disguised turn-based - you couldn't attack until the bar filled up, and moving around in battle did nothing really. You'd still be hit even if you were a fair bit away from the enemy so being able to move around the enemy was just for show.

All it meant was that there were a million more enemies to fight to get through the dungeon as they didn't have the 'entering battle' sequences and had to rack up the play time somehow.

New Fabula Nova Crystallis series infomation at Jump Festa 09 on the 20th. :)

Two S-E books coming out this month in Japan:

CLOUD Message:

Releases on the 12th in Japan.

Artwork and Interviews.

The Replay: Final Fantasy XII

Releases on the 13th in Japan.

Artwork and DVD with videos of:

Final Fantasy XIII (From the DK event)

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (From the DK event)

Final Fantasy Agito XIII (Jump Festa 2008 (December 2007))

Dissidia Final Fantasy (TGS 2008)

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete (TGS 2008)

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (TGS 2008)

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (Jump Festa 2008 (December 2007))

Kingdom Hearts Coded (From the DK event)

The 3rd Birthday (From the DK event)

final-fantasy-xiii-ad-pops-up-in-to.jpg

Awesome poster. :D

Thanks for the heads up in the DQ topic,Dante. I have just watched the 2 new/old trailers now. FFXIII looks meh to be honest, they just didnt sell it to me in that trailer but FF Versus XIII on the other hand looks great. Kingdom Hearts Team FTW!

I'm one of the people who just doesn't get Final Fantasy. For me it's boring, not fun and the characters don't seem believeable.

Yet it's a huge success with other people so I can't really knock it.

I have to say none of the FF XIII does it for me so far. It looks... generic. Not excited in the least so far.

I'm one of the people who just doesn't get Final Fantasy. For me it's boring, not fun and the characters don't seem believeable.

Yet it's a huge success with other people so I can't really knock it.

Haha!! You're not the only one and I work at Square. :heh:

Still, Versus looks awesome. I like the suits.

Obviously i hope they refresh the gameplay. We have had some great examples now with games like MGS4 and RE4. Maybe FFXIII can do that. When is FFXIII VS coming?

Certainly in pure horse power for looks, but in terms of art, well you can't beat Valkyria

Agreed! I have set aside time for this as my christmas game (and LBP ofcourse). Its just brilliant. I hope others also get to try out the game.

Jump Festa 09 Info:

-A new Final Fantasy XIII trailer was revealed. Gameplay/combat was shown, with it taking the form of extremely fast turned base action.

- Several new characters for XIII were revealed. One is a blonde haired efiiminate shota teenager who wears goggles, who has been likened to Tidus. Another is a female who gives the impression of being a sister to Lightning, she has an asian appearance and a dark bob haircut and her name is rumoured to be Gado Reburo. There is also a masculine orange haired person believed to be called Tosaka.

-ACC has been confirmed for March.

- Versus shown in CMT, basically the TGS trailer with longer dialogue between Noctis and Stella.

- KH DS delayed to Spring 09. Japanese spring that is.

- All the main characters in XIII have had voices cast.

FFXIII Jump Festa 09 Trailer Description:

The FFXIII trailers (there were two separate trailers shown) had little repeat footage from previous trailers. Please keep in mind, the following is just from the notes I took, and isn't necessarily any more accurate other accounts.

As for the new characters..

I would not call the big new male character's hairstyle an afro, but his hair does look like somebody put a tube over his head and then his scalp exploded, permanently frying his hair up in fine DBZ fashion. It's not long and ridiculously spiky, though. Just... exploded. His hair is VERY orange, and he either has it shaved into thin zig zag shave patterns on the sides of his head or he has a lot of tiny zig zagging braids there. He appears to be wearing a frayed or fur trimmed blue vest and is pretty clearly black. He is wearing off-white to khaki colored long shorts with simple gold patterns on them. He also has a silver necklace with a rectangular, flat silver pendant, wide sides horizontal. He's present mostly in the prison break scenes, helping Snow and the other new male and female characters, although he is the only character I was able to identify for sure on the train with Lightning before she broke out.

As for the younger new male, the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing him was Gippal, probably because of his blond hair and main colors pink and black outfit. He wears goggle-like headgear on his forehead. He does not look 'shota' to me, but he does look young compared to Lightning, Snow and big black new dude. He is blond. He looks to be older than pigtails girl by a couple years. He does talk with an affect. For people who know some Japanese, he tacks 'sska' onto the end of 'ja nai ka' questions to make 'ja nai sska' and 'ja nai ssu'. I don't know exactly the real life implications of the affect, whether its regional, age or culture, but it does exist in real Japanese speech. He seems to often have complaints about situations and courses of action, but help out regardless.

New female character reminds me of Yuffie a little, but her hair is at least shoulder length and appears to be tied back. She does not appear to be very patient. She has a purplish butterfly tattoo visible on her shoulder from the back. I think it's her right shoulder. Her outfit's colors are yellow, white and purple. She is wearing a very short, ruffled layered yellow skirt. She shows considerable amounts of skin compared to Lightning and Vanille. She's also wearing something like knee high fishnet socks. I believe she is shown using a gun.

As for what's happening in the actual trailer, there seems to be two separate parts being told at the same time.

First, there is Lightning rescuing Oerba Dia Vanille on a train with the three new characters and Snow. This scene takes place in the very green colored area with all the train tracks suspended in the air, visible in this image.

I'm not sure about the trailers' order of shown events, as both covered similar events while including different scenes, but the story follows this way..

Lightning and the new black character are on the prisoners' train, dressed in the same white outfits we have seen Oerba Dia Vanille wear when she is captured. They are sitting with several other prisoners. All of them are restrained by some kind of force from the wrist areas of the clothes they are wearing. They talk quietly and briefly to each other, and suddenly the train hits what appears to be some kind of force field barricade set up on its tracks, and begins to run out of control. Lightning jumps out to attack and crushes a remote control-like device with her foot, releasing all the prisoners from their hand bindings. Lightning waves her hand past her hip and begins to generate what looks like an electrical field around herself but appears to be connected to her gravity based abilities.

The large dragon-like flying beasts we have seen before attack the out of control train, seemingly in an attempt to stop Lightning from hijacking it. She shoots at them from the train with a large bazooka-like gun. Eventually they knock the train off its tracks.

The fighting ends up outside, where all the other new characters plus Snow join in. Snow breaks a speaker that seems to be droning out commands from the Holy Government in his entrance scene. Lightning and company have a lot of help in the form of what appears to be a small rebel force, armed with what appear to be standard, bullet-firing guns of fair power. Some of the train rails have been destroyed by the fighting, and the rebels assisting Lightning and company are entrenched in the rubble.

The people who escaped the train when Lightning broke out want to help them fight, and eventually Snow consents to letting them figh to. Among the escapees is Oerba Dia Vanille, who Snow gives a gun to. She takes it, pretends to aim it at an enemy, and says "Bang!"

The fighting seems to get worse, and a heavily armored enemy airship arrives. It blows away a good portion of the resisting fighters with one cannon blast, and Snow is knocked off the train rail while attempting to rescue another fighter and falls from view.

The scene changes to Lightning on a platform with a character who does not appear to be a main playable character by lack of remarkable clothing (His name is possibly Sazzu by the menus). The other character is a male in very plain clothing, although he appears to follow her around for some time as she moves and fights, possibly a guide character.

Lots of fight scenes are strung together, seemingly more for the purpose of showing off the battle menues than carrying the story forward, as eventually it breaks off to the second main storyline focus area: Lightning, Snow and Vanille in the frozen-looking lake area.

There are scenes of them fighting both monsters and soldiers there, and at one point Snow summons Shiva and uses her in battle to attack. Among his menus when using Shiva are attacks called "Diamond Dust" and "Engine". The attack he performs causes damage in many separate increments. In a scene we've seen in magazine scans, Vanille mentions she has seen "that" before, she thinks, although what "it" is is unclear.

Depending on which trailer you're watching, a dialogue about someone named Sera plays either over a scene near the battle at the train tracks area or in lip synch between Lightning and Snow in the frozen lake area, where Snow mentions Sera and Lightning becomes angry at him for not saving Sera, claiming it was his fault that whatever happened to her happened. Snow seems to believe that he can still save her, but Lightning thinks nothing can be done about it anymore. She hits him twice, and both appear to be near tears. He stops her with something he says about what he thinks he can do. (I believe she asks "What is it you think you can do, huh?" in regards to how to save Sera and he replies "Anything!")The blue golem-like creatures are present during some of the voice over conversation. It seems they are somehow connected to what happened to Sera. (Sorry, I'm fairly unsure about the goings on outside the train fighting scenes).

Throughout the train section of the trailers, many, many charactes are shown, most of whom appear to be rebel fighters and escapees from the train, but I've only described in detail the ones who have been seen in gameplay combat or who have unique clothing.

At some point in time (it's shown at the beginning of a trailer, but I can't pin it down chronologically), Vanille is shown standing outside in her white hooded outfit in the green-lit train area, and she mentions the "beginning of the end of the world."

The large green creature/statue like object in the first linked image also features quite prominently in the trailer, but I'm not sure what it is or what it means. In the version where talk of Sera is dubbed over the train scenes, it appears quite often while the conversation plays.