NEurope
Charlie

Final Fantasy XIII

Yeah but thats some minor NPC. The graphics are just ahead of any RPG currently. Granted its not Killzone 2, MGS4 or GT5P but its nice.

2rer0d3.jpg

j6splg.jpg

kb8uhd.jpg

2ptt8cn.jpg

5mxnns.jpg

2i0vede.jpg

All realtime. Seems to have plenty onscreen. Battle area does not seem like a generic custom area like most JP RPG where you are transported magically. No fixed camera angles etc.

Its not bad at all. We need more info and media though like how seamless will battles be or how the story will play out.

Well the trailer has been picked apart. Zooming in, the details arent that great. Blocky fingers, sharp edges on arms etc.

So i'll concede low polys to Daft. He is right there.

Lets see more yet though. But ig et the feeling its going to dissapoint many in this area. Also the scenery is simple so people expect more. I still think its nice for a JRPG but it could be because PS3 hardly gets any.

I think people picking the graphics apart are idiots with no understanding of what makes a good game.

I think people picking the graphics apart are idiots with no understanding of what makes a good game.

I blame Killzone, GT5P and MGS4.

Lets wait and see. There are bits with shadows and then no shadows. Fingers are blocky but then high quality then next scene. Clearly this trailer was very staged. Its got a long way to go.

Happy waiting till 2010.

The trailer looks great on my set-up . I cant complain about blocky appendages and such simply because i dont care but i will say the on-screen battle menu/hit point counters are a MESS

I realize its a necessary evil in this type of game but surely they can reduce the size and intrusiveness of all these commands and numbers

Well the trailer has been picked apart. Zooming in, the details arent that great. Blocky fingers, sharp edges on arms etc.

So i'll concede low polys to Daft. He is right there.

Lets see more yet though. But ig et the feeling its going to dissapoint many in this area. Also the scenery is simple so people expect more. I still think its nice for a JRPG but it could be because PS3 hardly gets any.

Having worked for Square I know how they work and with the string of incredibly sub par games in recent years I hate their PR with a passion.

I should say that some of my favourite games, EDF 2017 and Saints Row 2, have had awful graphics so personally I'm not too fussed. I just expected more from a game that has had so much time and money put into it.

They aren't that great for something that has had as much time put into it as FFXIII has. It's a simple fact. No one said the game wouldn't be good.

I've now got really high hopes for this game - HOWEVER...

Was I the only one who got motion sickness from watching the trailer??

They aren't that great for something that has had as much time put into it as FFXIII has. It's a simple fact. No one said the game wouldn't be good.

Yet why are people in this topic putting so much emphasis on the graphics? Because they actually do value the graphics too much. I remember when people hoped that the next story would be amazing, but now it's pretty much the graphics that people are hyperventilating over.

The SNES and PS Final Fantasy games are some of the finest games ever made, and their graphics by today's standards look like crap. I'd much rather play them over FFX or FFXII. I hope that FFXIII's graphics get crapper, that way it may show regression to a time when the series was much better.

Yet why are people in this topic putting so much emphasis on the graphics? Because they actually do value the graphics too much. I remember when people hoped that the next story would be amazing, but now it's pretty much the graphics that people are hyperventilating over.

The SNES and PS Final Fantasy games are some of the finest games ever made, and their graphics by today's standards look like crap. I'd much rather play them over FFX or FFXII. I hope that FFXIII's graphics get crapper, that way it may show regression to a time when the series was much better.

Graphics also indicate level of polish. FFXIII looks somewhat downgraded. Also whats so interesting about the gameplay shown? Its the same old. At least deliver on the graphics, which so far it has not. There is nothing wow about it at all. Apart from how generic it looks for a recent main FF. Some of the third party japanese developers really need to sort themselves out.

wow at the new trailer want this game so much now...will defo be outside game waiting...hell even gunna book a day off work i think for this one

Fair enough, I get that. Maybe it is the recent hike in graphics with KillZone 2 and MGS4 and that at this moment graphics are the only tangible thing to comment on at the moment.

My favourite RPG is Golden Sun. Completed it twice which is unheard of for me with an RPG and that's because I loved the characters and the structure of the story. Not sure hoe this bit is relevant. Any excuse to mention Golden Sun. :heh:

Graphics also indicate level of polish. FFXIII looks somewhat downgraded. Also whats so interesting about the gameplay shown? Its the same old. At least deliver on the graphics, which so far it has not. There is nothing wow about it at all. Apart from how generic it looks for a recent main FF. Some of the third party japanese developers really need to sort themselves out.

Yeah, I agree. I think Square have fallen behind a bit with this generation.

I watched the trailer for this on the 360 (In HD), looks good.

I don't actually know what it is about this game, but I'm rather looking forward to it. I've never actually even slightly anticipated a forthcoming FF game. (I didn't play VII, VIII and IX until a good while after they first came out.)

Seconded, but Square has to evolve the series to keep it relevant. Id personally buy FF13 if it reverted back to SNES graphics but thats just me, im in the minority there. Wouldnt it be great if S-E pulled a Mega Man 9 and did a new 2D FF for DLC! No? Ill show myself out....

Seconded, but Square has to evolve the series to keep it relevant. Id personally buy FF13 if it reverted back to SNES graphics but thats just me, im in the minority there. Wouldnt it be great if S-E pulled a Mega Man 9 and did a new 2D FF for DLC! No? Ill show myself out....

Seeing more Mega Man 9 style developement would be awesome, there was something like that on the DS but I think it turned to vaporware. Some minnow developed who probably went bust.

But yeah, RPG's need to sort themselves out. I think Square are trying to 'revolutionize' their games but the problem is at the same time they're trying to not alienate their hardcore fanbase, and we're then left with a mish-mash of new innovative ideas which arn't fully realized because they dare not change enough to make it work.

For me though I don' think FFXIII is the game they should be changing much. It's Final Fantasy, it's an epic incredible gaming experience and the pretty much represents Square-Enix on the global scale. I'm happy for essentially 'more of the same' provided it's up to the high standards set by all their previous final fantasies.

Maybe use Versus to mix things up? I'm not sure.

Graphics indicate the level of polish? That can only mean the graphics themselves being polished, as I can deliver so many examples where story, gameplay and characters create a fantastic game, dwarfing fancy graphics games that have little all else.

The gameplay of just about any sequel is the same or very similar, but for me Final Fantasy wins with character design and development, plot and settings (FFIX winning on the settings for me; Cleyra and Treno rocked). The gameplay is usually kept very similar but with subtle changes that are tagged as 'revolutionary'. But the fact is that lovers of Final Fantasy love the series because of what it is, and don't actually want it to change too much.

So yeah, while FFXII may have been one of the best games graphically on the PS2 I couldn't help but feel as if I was wandering around ghost towns with ghost characters and a story that didn't really feel inspired. Which is why that all I'm praying from this game is that it's fun and interesting. Many of the games I still play are not great graphically so it really won't bother me.

Graphics indicate the level of polish? That can only mean the graphics themselves being polished, as I can deliver so many examples where story, gameplay and characters create a fantastic game, dwarfing fancy graphics games that have little all else.

The gameplay of just about any sequel is the same or very similar, but for me Final Fantasy wins with character design and development, plot and settings (FFIX winning on the settings for me; Cleyra and Treno rocked). The gameplay is usually kept very similar but with subtle changes that are tagged as 'revolutionary'. But the fact is that lovers of Final Fantasy love the series because of what it is, and don't actually want it to change too much.

So yeah, while FFXII may have been one of the best games graphically on the PS2 I couldn't help but feel as if I was wandering around ghost towns with ghost characters and a story that didn't really feel inspired. Which is why that all I'm praying from this game is that it's fun and interesting. Many of the games I still play are not great graphically so it really won't bother me.

I understand fully. What i am hinting at is that nothing really grabs me here. There is little standout about the title. Also i am not a fan of recent FF games. I find them quite boring. They need to shake up the gameplay badly and in a successful way like say MGS4 or even what RE4 did back in the day. Will FFXIII do this? lets see.

So uhm... is the whole game taking place in this train station (or whatever it it)?

Because everything I´ve seen from FF13 for the past years is the same train station.

So uhm... is the whole game taking place in this train station (or whatever it it)?

Because everything I´ve seen from FF13 for the past years is the same train station.

Its in the demo.

It looks very FF X/VII, which is a good thing!

However, I'm now remembering hyping up XII for years, and then making it through 15 hours of the game before giving up on it. What was its storyline again??

Japan's Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy XIII moved back.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada fielded questions at a financial briefing today, and obviously Dragon Quest IX's delay was the big topic of conversation. But Final Fantasy XIII was also brought up, according to this report at ITMedia.

It appears that DQIX's delay could affect FFXIII's release. Regarding the release of the PS3 title, Wada said, "It may be affected by Dragon Quest IX's delay. We'd like to work towards (a release) within fiscal 2009."

He added, ""We've yet to finalize our plans for the next term, so I cannot say for sure if there will or will not be an effect, but Dragon Quest's release being March or July changes the premise. I can't say that there won't be an influence.

Final Fantasy XIII definitely isn't coming out here this year. I'm pretty certain.

I have a feeling it will be March next year.

I'd agree with you sentiment about graphics indicating a level of polish. If the graphics aren't up to scratch it does detract from the experience of such a game whether people choose to accept it or not. If FFXIII was to hit with these so called graphical blemishes such as block hands it would bring with it this notion that the game has not been polished to the high standards people have now come to expect from triple A titles.

Personally looking forward to this, having never owned a Sony console until this generation I have missed out on a ton of FF games, only played 1,2,3 and Crisis Core and out of them only completed CC. I find I usually get bored of turn based RPG's way before I reach the end. I think its the grinding that just wears me down. The only recentish turn based RPG I can remember completing is Dragon Quest Monsters. So glad to see this may have a more active turn based system will help keep it more interesting for me.

Dengeki Interview

DengekiPS: Can you explain the keywords of this game, "l'Cie" and "fal'Cie"?

Toriyama: "fal'Cie" is beyond humanity and associated with the crystal. fal'Cie is not only one being but many, and one of them stepped up to created Cocoon. "l'Cie" are people chosen by fal'Cie to take on a Focus and a marking of their identity. Lightning and the others become chosen as "l'Cie" and each of them must take on their destiny and fight. While peaceful everyday lives are shattered at every corner, they must fight, and move forward no matter what the cost is. That is how the story will go. The reason of existence of fal'Cie is only because the crystal desires them, so the explanations given from the human point of view in the story might not be completely true. fal'Cie and l'Cie might exist in "Versus XIII" and "Agito XIII" also, but their purposes will definitely differ in each game.

DengekiPS: Cocoon is the main setting of the beginning of the game, but how large will it be if it existed in real life?

Toriyama: If brought into this world, Cocoon will be about the size of North America. The underworld Pulse is about as large as Earth itself. The shape of Cocoon is close if we describe it as a massive circular object surrounded by a circular shield. The futuristic cities and nature within the shield is the world fal'Cie created as its' technological world. On the border of the outside world and Cocoon exists a sun-like fal'Cie, so a blue sky can be seen from inside. Thanks to fal'Cie's power, Cocoon is able to stay aloft. Cocoon's fal'Cie's purpose is to enrich people's lives, so it influences many unique features of Cocoon. Please look forward to the journey in Cocoon to find out what the other fal'Cie are.

DengekiPS: Ms. Ikeda, we've heard you are the character designer of Snow.

Ikeda: Right after I finished work for Dawn of Mana, I was given the opportunity to design characters for FFXIII. All of these are completely different from what I've done before, so in the beginning I threw in everything I could to find a comfortable spot to start off at. Since this is on a next-gen console, I've designed every little detail possible.

DegekiPS: Please let us know a bit more about the members of Nora.

Ikeda: First of all Maqui, he has a history where he was an introvert and always stayed home until Snow came to pull him out. Since then he started to respect Snow greatly. That's why his outfit is styled like Snow more than other members. For example Maqui has a brassard on to copy how Snow's left sleeve is like, and his gloves are similar also. He is seen in many layers because he wants to hide his slim body that he finds embarrassing, compared to Snow's powerful and muscular body. His pair of headphones are used for radio transmissions between Nora members, and his goggles and tool satchel is his identification as the proud Nora mechanic.

Lebreau's colors and other motifs are inspired from the images of butterflies flying along an asian beach resort. Since the town where Nora's headquarters are located is along the beach, I've designed her to wear a swimsuit with short-shorts and a cardigan-like top. She talks and acts much more mature for her age, and sometimes acts as if she's the mother of Nora (laughs). Gadot was required to be "shorter than Snow, but more macho. On the young side for age, and not as big as FFVII's Barret" and I had a lot of trouble with that. In the end he became in-between the two, and has a reverse-traingle type body. Also like his hair and his tattoo represents, his motif is "fire", and he is supposed to be opposite of Snow who has a motif of ice. They both are hot-blooded, so I can't really say they're truly opposite though... (laughs)

DengekiPS: How much of the game will we enjoy with the demo?

Toriyama: If played normally from the opening of the story, you can enjoy it for a little over an hour. We've included a system where a battle rank is shown after every battle, and if you want to complete that, you would have to play it through a couple times. Also, the field system's concept is "live", so if you don't spin the free camera to look around, you might miss some cutscenes. We'd be happy to have you take time to search through the corners of the field for them.

Dengeki PS: Do we get the basic parts of the battle system?

Toriyama: Yes, and the battles will be at the same speed as shown in recent trailers. Of course we'll include more features in the final product, but you will be able to enjoy the basic but fun mechanics. Magic actually takes some progression into the game until they become available, but in the demo, we wanted you to see how cool the battle system is, so we included them from the start. We want you to see the new battle system where thinking strategically will lead to more cool-looking visuals and actions. Right now we are thinking that including Sazh's baby chocobo in combat somehow in the final product will make it more interesting. That baby chocobo is in many recollection scenes, and interacts and gets along with many other characters, so it actually is one of the important characters in the game. It's one of the characters you'd want to look out for.

Degeki PS: Please give out a message to those waiting for the demo.

Toriyama: Everyone has waited for so long, but we'll finally be able to release something playable. With "FF7ACC". Please wait a bit more for the April 16th release. The development of the product version is going very well also!

(Dengeki comment: In the next issue we'll have more interviews from Mr. Toriyama and Ms. Ikeda! We'll also have more information on the demo and characters.)