NEurope
Ashley

Super Mario Galaxy

Has anyone noticd how Mario's energy bar now has only three segments? Shoud raise the difficulty level nicely. :)

Don't think it'll raise the difficulty too much - unless they drop the whole coins adding life thing.

I bet it's because the game is piss easy and they figured "I guess we better add a LITTLE challenge" and so dropped the power meter.

From the new trailer it looks like there will be some truely awesome platforming in this game! and it seems to be quite tricky in places which is great!!

It's cool how you appear to collect up the colourful stars and then can fire them at enemies using the pointer, to stun them!

Or maybe that was an example of the kind of co-op we can expect!

This looks too good to be true!

Also Bumble Bee Mario, what were they smoking when they came up with that, I mean it's brilliant, but how the hell did they come up with such a thing!

As everyone else, and as I believed, this game is simply going to be THE BEST game of this whole generation :) I say that tongue in cheek with the outlandishness of the remark, but god does it look incredible - I love Mario games (yes even sunshine!) and this just looks the best yet! My only potential niggle is the lack of large worlds and it looking like a lot of little planets - I like exploring worlds, but planet hoppint to explore may just get a little annoying. Saying that I think there will be massive worlds I'm just saying we aint seen any yet!

Looks sensational! AND it's definately out xmas 2007 here as Nintendo has just stated on their site...well Q4...so december.

... Is this true!!!! My gosh I think I completely zoned off to a next dimension when you wrote that!!! Is this true because with this being my joint most anticipated game (although from what I've seen today, it may have just pulled away to being number 1 priority by a distance) I think I'll be in heaven.

I'm also glad that Reggie said this is the true sequel to Mario 64, definately shows he realises it ;). Although I didn't think Sunshine was that bad, just not a true Mario type calibur game, but this definately looks so!

Has anyone noticd how Mario's energy bar now has only three segments? Shoud raise the difficulty level nicely. :)
Hmm that's wierd because the latest screen before E3 showed the usual 8 bars!

So either it's a new revision to the game,

or you can upgrade your health bar as you go? perhaps after each boss battle like Zelda?

14.jpg

15.jpg

Hmm that's wierd because the latest screen before E3 showed the usual 8 bars!

So either it's a new revision to the game,

or you can upgrade your health bar as you go? perhaps after each boss battle like Zelda?

That would be cool, it would make Mario seem more... personal ;). But seriously, that could be true, maybe because they realise the difficulty curve in a lot of games nowadays is non-existant.

Looks good. Finally a Wii game that looks better than a GC game.

Is it playable at E3?

Of course, it was playable in a huge demo last year after all.

Some concerns have arisen over the speed of Mario running...

Matt-IGN posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you guys want hands-on impressions. We're trying to write them and get them up, but we're pressed for time. We have one more must-go-to event to attend. After that, we'll be doing nothing but writing for the rest of the evening. Quickly, though:

1. We played about a half hour of Galaxy. It's looking gorgeous and the environments are dramatically different than wha we've seen before. Running feels slow. There's no super-speed button and Mario moves too slowly for my liking. Everything else about it is pretty well done, though. There's a two-player cooperative mode. If I'm controlling Mario, Bozon can also play -- pointing his Wii remote at the screen to manipulate objects and enemies. For instance, if I want to jump on an enemy's head, Bozon could point at him and hold him in place, etc. Seems pretty cool.

2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is the game. Screens don't do it justice. And vids really don't, either, because it's running mostly at a beautiful 60 frames. It looks better than Prime 1 or 2. More detailed textures. Larger environments. And the bloom lighting looks good. Obviously, not on the same level as some HD titles, but for Wii I'm really impressed. It's coming together. We just played a sweet tutorial where you see Samus -- actually see her out of suit -- coasting through space in her ship. You use the Wii remote to bring up her ship's controls from inside the cockpit. It's quite cool. We'll have a vid coming your way in about 40 mins.

Oh, and if you're worried about the controls, don't be. They are near perfect. Here's the headline and subhead for my upcoming hands-on:

"E3 2007: Hands-on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

It plays better than any first-person console game ever…really. And it's one of Wii's best lookers, too."

3. Wii Fit is fun. Everyone will buy this game. The Wii Balance Board works well and the minis are well made. You'll get a real, genuine workout. I'll have more later.

4. The Wii Zapper seems to work well. Feels comfortable. We played it with an updated build of RE Umbrella Chronicles and I'd prefer to use it.

5. Off to play an hour more of Metroid now. Will be back with much more detailed impressions later.

Matty and Bozie

Another tidbit:

Yeah. You get a power up and you turn into Bee Mario. That seems to be the official name. You hold down the A button and Mario can fly for a short time. When an on-screen meter runs dry, he sinks back down again. And what's cool is that you can fly to things like hanging swings and he'll grab on, at which point you can swing up and down, shoot into the air again, and fly some more before your meter drains.

The game is a trip. I'm loving it. But Mario really needs to run faster. I hope he gains a power-up or something.

Matt

Mario looks great, I like the Bee costume. And I'm glad it's getting released in 2007 here. At least we're getting something in the holdidays.

This looks too good to be true!

Also Bumble Bee Mario, what were they smoking when they came up with that, I mean it's brilliant, but how the hell did they come up with such a thing!

Totally. Just when they ran out of ways to humiliate Mario...

Actually thats kinda interesting. Nintendo is one of the only companies that kinda takes the piss out of it's own mascot a little. I mean its obviously in a light hearted way but you dont see Sega laughing at Sonic do you? Maybe they should.... I mean we do.

Marios speed (being too slow) and the co op mode having bugs and being gimmicky are the only two complaints i've read about this game thus far. But it's definitely shaping up to be a surpassor of Sunshine.

Yeah, the way co op is done, the second player will get bored a lot. Maybe they'll add some extra multiplayer modes?

Yeah, the way co op is done, the second player will get bored a lot. Maybe they'll add some extra multiplayer modes?

But I appreciate the fact Nintendo have put it in, in the first place. Similtaneous co-op (i.e. Mario and Luigi being playable at the same time) would not work for this game, due to going all over the place upside down and whatnot. You'd have to time movements with your playing partner almost to a tee to avoid the game stalling just because the other guy is lagging behind you.

Yes, that would definitely be a problem. Splitscreen wouldn't be possible as well, of course.

E3_070612_SMGSMG003.jpg

Must... resist... bad... pun...

Can't... Aarrgh!

Bii-Mario!

There, I did it. It was too obvious. Sorry about that. :red:

Yes, this game will raise the standard for Wii games by a mile. I hope the third-party developers will take notice.

Finally, a true sequel to Super Mario 64.

I can't wait to play this game. The gravity changes between planets alone won me over.

I'm SO looking forward to Mario Galaxy. I've had high hopes since day one, but Bee Mario has sold me - I mean who wouldnt want to dress as a bee.