Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Ashley

Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer doesn't convince me an online mode would be good. Unless Retro ask NST to make them a class multiplayer, I'd rather not see them try and focus on the single player.
Yes, but we're not talking about metroid prime 2 online here.

A Metroid Prime online has the potential to be good.

that said I don't buy Metroid Prime for that, but it's a nice extra, if well pulled.

What do you think your Wii Console Code is for? If that's not the friend code, then what is?
Yeah, I know, but recently there was EGM talking about it:

“The Wii’s unified friend code system initially seemed like an upgrade to the DS’s daft online plan, but it’s actually just more of the same nonsense. Once again, each game requires its own separate friend code list…so get ready to input lots of 14-digit codes. Seriously, designing your entire online strategy around preventing child predators simply isn’t a good idea.”
Source: http://www.infendo.com/2007/01/wii-online-play-already-doomed-says.html

and:

Contrary to our initial thoughts, especially after we discovered Wii system numbers, it turns out that Nintendo is going to require that peeps enter individual friend codes for each online game. Your Wii system number is there primarily for Miis, e-mail, and other stuff like that. Already, Pokemon Battle Revolution in Japan requires players to enter the codes of their friends, which are entirely separate from your Wii system number. Nintendo seems intent on fostering the same secluded, safe and entirely unintuitive online experience that the DS offers, which is a shame.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/mail/index.html

I'm hoping they are wrong, seriously.

It was even explained back then that Pokémon Battle Revolution was like that because it was developed while the final unified friend code system wasn't ready at launch, I hope that was the truth.

I keep forgetting that Prime 3 was almost a launch title!

That means that the main game was in a near complete state; so if the game does end up being released almost 1 year later, it means that what ever it is that's causing the delay is something major!

If it is an online/multiplayer aspect, and they've been working on that side of the game alone for almost a year, then in that case, the multiplayer could be something very special indeed!

I doubt it was ready, more like a placeholder, metroid is one of those AAA franchises that can always use more time in the making.

I believe it clearly needed more time, even for the single player campaign.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metroid Prime 2 didn't "suffer" from a multiplayer mode (which was quite fun), and the new control scheme suits multiplayer a lot more than Prime 1 and 2 (main problem was the aiming/lock-on).

But Prime 3 still has lock-on, if you choose to use it. Let's hope that it's disabled in any possible multiplayer.

I too am crossing my fingers that the Friends Code system in Pokémon Battle Revolution is a one off. Knowing Nintendo, though, it won't be. It seems even more useless now as well, considering that the Wii has a parental control system.

Pedro, I think/hope those sources are confused (mistranslations) with the fact that you can enter the friend codes of the DS games for online and connectivity purposes in PBR. At least, it wouldn't make sense at all otherwise.

But Prime 3 still has lock-on, if you choose to use it. Let's hope that it's disabled in any possible multiplayer.

I too am crossing my fingers that the Friends Code system in Pokémon Battle Revolution is a one off. Knowing Nintendo, though, it won't be. It seems even more useless now as well, considering that the Wii has a parental control system.

If they insist on having separate friends codes, I hope they create a friends code channel, where you can manage friends codes, and that can be accessed in games in the future.

also if they modify the mii channel perhaps so it can be used more in games..

Pedro, I think/hope those sources are confused (mistranslations) with the fact that you can enter the friend codes of the DS games for online and connectivity purposes in PBR. At least, it wouldn't make sense at all otherwise.
I hope so, but you know the saying, "where there's smoke... there's fire".

It would be idiotic of Nintendo was to do those errors though, so I'd rather believe it's just these people who are passing on fake info.

why isnt it just one Friend code for just one system?would that not be wiser?

Honestly, I think everyone is just playing the guessing game. Before Pokemon Battle Revolution was released in Japan, we were hearing "ooo, 1 console code." Now it's released, we're hearing "d'oh, 1 console code + many game codes."

Nobody knows if the seperate game code is just for battle revolution, or if every game does require its own code.

Yes, but we're not talking about metroid prime 2 online here.

A Metroid Prime online has the potential to be good.

that said I don't buy Metroid Prime for that, but it's a nice extra, if well pulled.Yeah, I know, but recently there was EGM talking about it:

Source: http://www.infendo.com/2007/01/wii-online-play-already-doomed-says.html

and:

Source: http://wii.ign.com/mail/index.html

I'm hoping they are wrong, seriously.

It was even explained back then that Pokémon Battle Revolution was like that because it was developed while the final unified friend code system wasn't ready at launch, I hope that was the truth.I doubt it was ready, more like a placeholder, metroid is one of those AAA franchises that can always use more time in the making.

I believe it clearly needed more time, even for the single player campaign.

Honestly, I think everyone is just playing the guessing game. Before Pokemon Battle Revolution was released in Japan, we were hearing "ooo, 1 console code." Now it's released, we're hearing "d'oh, 1 console code + many game codes."

Nobody knows if the seperate game code is just for battle revolution, or if every game does require its own code.

I think that PBR only did that because the online system wasn't up and running then. Does Elebits have a separate friend code for sharing maps with people?

perhaps nintendo is right though.All it takes is one accident or child getting killed etc by someone who talked to them on xboxlive then the whole service could be deemd unsafe.Online isnt mainstream yet after all.

Microsoft have had a unified service since 2003 and no one's been killed. In fact, its saved some lives, a couple of days ago someone told a friend over XBL he was going to bring his gun into school, the friend called the FBI and the guy got busted.

It's pretty simple, if you don't want to talk to someone, don't.

Yeah, but that should also be the diference between a professional videogame jounalist and a mainstream gamer (us).

We are here to speculate, they're there to report us the facts, not guess, because if they enter the "guess realm" their guess is as good as ours, but they still use those magazines and sites to broadcast them without making it clear as guess and not a fact, that implies that that they must have some contacts or heard something from the developers.

Oh well... incompetent game journalists.

I think that PBR only did that because the online system wasn't up and running then. Does Elebits have a separate friend code for sharing maps with people?
I believe not, Elebits uses one single friend code.

It's pretty simple, if you don't want to talk to someone, don't.
You're getting onto something there; for instance, a lot of people send me Mii's I don't want, to the point that I'd like to block them, but when they send like 20 at once, I have to say ok to each individually (there's not a accept all/block all option) and only then, erase them.

I should also know and have the option of adding to my list whoever adds me to their list.

Yes, I believe so, it used the console's friend code.

I have no means to proove it as there's no PAL version yet, though

So there we go, that completely contradicts what IGN and other big gaming sites have been saying about it being game specific rather than console specific.

Hmm, what an odd situation.

I've seen comments on here where somebody mentioned that Pokemon BR was running online in Japan before Nintendo had actually fully implemented the online infrastructure, meaning that the game ran using a specific code rather than the Wii console code. Could that be it?

Hmm, what an odd situation.

I've seen comments on here where somebody mentioned that Pokemon BR was running online in Japan before Nintendo had actually fully implemented the online infrastructure, meaning that the game ran using a specific code rather than the Wii console code. Could that be it?

Pokemon Battle Revolution uses the DS online servers, so yea.

Maybe the developers making those "overclocked GameCube" comments may actually know what they're talking about, as they kind of work with the hardware we're talking about. You're basing this new GPU idea only on Mario Galaxy and MP3 videos, which could be done on a Flipper if it had some extra TEVs (shaders), really, as the only difference is the considerable amount of extra shading over GameCube. It makes it look great, no doubt, but it doesn't mean they've made a new chip. Quite frankly, if the chip was really new, then it would have been better than it is now.

I know what the developers said, but IGN were the only ones to report it. I'm not entirely convinced that IGN were telling the truth, and if they were that developers had final devkits at the time. Then there's the fact that Nintendo would've been stupid to spend millions of dollars on R&D just for ATI to shrink it and make it cooler. I think there's 3 possibilities: 1) Hollywood is a significant upgrade and we'll start to see the benefits in a year or two; 2) the, in my opinion, unlikely possibility that Hollywood essentially is Flipper and we'll see little improvement; or 3) Hollywood is essentially an overclocked Flipper, but Flipper was much more capable that could ever be shown on a Gamecube.

Whatever the case it doesn't really matter. It's a Goddamn Wii.

Anyway, going back to multiplayer, I really can't be bothered to play a half made attempt of multiplayer that was in Metroid Prime 2. I think it was really lame and I only played TimeSplitters for multiplayer shooting. If Retro has suddenly gone Metroid Prime Hunters with the time they've had though, then it would easily be the best Metroid ever. I don't see that happening though.

Then don't play it. I never touched Echoes' multiplayer mode. If it weren't for these constant reminders I would't even know it was there. An interesting possibility is that Nintendo have gotten NST to collaborate with Retro on this title and use the spare 8 months to add a decent multiplayer mode. They'd have all the assets and the main bulk of the code complete so it should really be anough time. We'll wait and see, though. I can't see anything bad that could come of it. Whatever happens, we'll end up with the kickass adventure we were promised.

Basically, Nintendo feels that it needs to be the player's guardian. If the parents are worried with online play, watch over them, or give them the message 'if anyone starts talking you i want to know, otherwise youll be grounded' ok, its blackmail, but it's better than friend codes!!!

Basically, Nintendo feels that it needs to be the player's guardian. If the parents are worried with online play, watch over them, or give them the message 'if anyone starts talking you i want to know, otherwise youll be grounded' ok, its blackmail, but it's better than friend codes!!!

There's parental control after all. I'm pretty relieved by Cube's statement:

Pokemon Battle Revolution uses the DS online servers, so yea.
So if parents are really worried, then Nintendo should give us a firmware upgrade that allows control, and not bother gamer that can take care of themselves.

Metroid online, if happening, needs to be good but most of all easy to use.

Alright so what kind of locations would people like to see in a Metroid game. Forget about what's likely to be in Corruption.

Personally i'd like to see more outside areas, maybe like a forest (with trees for platforming), or a desert (think Road Runner Arizona, big ass cliffs). One of the problems with Echoes compared to Prime 1 was that you didn't have many bright areas to contrast with the dark areas (Phendra drifts v Magma caverns).

It's pretty hard to come up with new environments now that we've had:

Prime1:

Spaceship (Pirate Frigate)

Lava (Magmoor Caverns)

Snow and Ice (Phendrana Drifts)

Lush Greenery (Tallon IV)

Underwater (Crashed Frigate)

Archaic Ruins (Chozo Ruins)

Underground Mines (Phazon Mines)

Prime2:

Desert (Agon Wastes)

Swamp (Torvus Bog)

Hi-Tech (Sanctuary Fortress)

A rainforest would be a nice change, or expanding on the cliffs idea, how about a Rocky Chasm area, mostly underground with a few outside bits located above bottomless chasms.

I would also like to see a bigger spaceship area. Perhaps the kind of spaceship found in the culture books by Iain M. Banks, where there are big open areas that feel like you're outside.

Perhaps this is straying too far from the Metroid formula, but how about a deserted city that has been taken over by the Space Pirates which you have to infiltrate at night.

Perhaps this is straying too far from the Metroid formula, but how about a deserted city that has been taken over by the Space Pirates which you have to infiltrate at night.

Woah that idea is great.

I'm not sure about the infiltrate at night bit though but other than that it should be really cool.

Woah that idea is great.

I'm not sure about the infiltrate at night bit though but other than that it should be really cool.

I've always thought an urban area in Metroid has sounded appealing but the hardcore fans don't like it when the game drifts from it's original formula and becomes too Halo.

Id like there to be huger rooms and id like samus to be able to move faster instead of her jogging all the time. It gets annoying in an evacuation part when samus just treats it like a daily stroll.

There's loads of different environments they could do, but i just cant think of any on the spot right now.

How about a giant sized coral reef? Or make an environment that looks like a human city.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!