Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Ashley

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're happy to report that it simulates the accuracy of PC first-person shooters almost perfectly, and we found ourselves soaring through levels, zipping around corners, pulling quick turns and zapping down enemies with pinpoint precision without seconds. Simply put, Retro has nailed it - and it makes the wait to 2007 for the game that much more difficult. We're not kidding when we write that Prime 3 feels like a brand new game with this control.

In fact before wasn't possible to do those quick turns, and all that they explain. The was failing in that. What is a shame. Of course videos aren't the best way to see those differences, but let's wait until we play it.

:yay:

So Matt "no one here trusts him for some reason" Cassamassina was right again about Prime 3 being pushed back. I'm a little annoyed because it was one of my 2 launch titles but since it sounds like it's being massively improved then I can live with it.
Metroid Prime 3 being pushed back was obvious, I won't say he wouldn't know, since he actually works in the industry, he was also right about paper mario being pushed for Wii, etc...

Now; Matt talks too much, that can be good if he's got information (it leaks out) and can be bad when he has wrong information or that information simply changes along the way, he is so sure about it that hypes it (a little too much) and there comes Megaton (again) that expression appeared applyed to videogames because of matt himself, so he must not be taken lightly.

He also tends to talk too much about things he doesn't know (ie.: tech specs)...

Given all of these "hit or miss" things, Matt has low credibility in the industry, but being editor in charge at ign, one of the biggest videogames sites out there means he's bound to be right... sometimes.

In fact before wasn't possible to do those quick turns, and all that they explain. The was failing in that. What is a shame. Of course videos aren't the best way to see those differences, but let's wait until we play it.

Yes, you can turn quicker, but my point was that it seems from the video that this has been achieved simply by speeding up the existing control scheme, not by altering the control scheme.

I had been led to believe that Expert mode was a different control scheme where you simply pointed to where you wanted to look and the crosshair was set permanently in the centre of the screen. This sounds like it would be the best way turn around quickly, but perhaps the constantly moving screen would be too uncomfortable to look at.

Point taken about waiting until we play it. Everything I said above may well be redundant. :grin:

Yes, exactly. It sounds identical to the ideal mouse-keyboard setup, but there is one big difference:

In a PC FPS, if you want to 'lock' your view, you simply stop moving the mouse. This is easy to do - you just relax your hand. But it may not be so easy with a Wiimote. You'd have to keep your hand perfectly still, which might be difficult, hence the constantly moving screen.

Maybe this is why Metroid and Red Steel (as far as I know) do not offer this type of control.

In a PC FPS, if you want to 'lock' your view, you simply stop moving the mouse. This is easy to do - you just relax your hand. But it may not be so easy with a Wiimote. You'd have to keep your hand perfectly still, which might be difficult, hence the constantly moving screen.

Maybe this is why Metroid and Red Steel (as far as I know) do not offer this type of control.

It's also due to motion sickness, it can't move vertically that easily and so often to the point of being "shaky cam" quality, in a video it's fine, but on a game you have to concentrate on your surroundings, it would lead to nausea.

there's already people who suffer from motion sickness, as is, in console shooters, let alone if they were to use the Wiimote like that.

Thats what I said when I was watching the video. They were shooting at their own people, What a F*cking Idiot.:nono:

From what i saw, i think hunters were attacking the federation soldiers and certainly not of their own kind and would not make sense at all::shrug:

Surely it can be turned off then.I want my fps controls to be fair and i dont want to feel like im cheating.

Anyone else feel bothered about the metroid interview on ign where he said metroid would be on line but someone corrected his mistake saying it hasnt been confirmed hmm

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732728p1.html

IGN: How will social networking be handled? Will there be anonymous friend codes like on the DS network, or will users be able to choose recognisable IDs like on Xbox Live?

David Yarnton: More details on that will come out closer to launch. But you will be able to play online, so for example with Metroid you will be able to play against friends online… [editor's note: at this point the Nintendo PR rep steps in to assert that Metroid has not been confirmed for online play].

I think the thing is though you need to lock on to some things to use them, like lock on to the things you reach out and grab with the nunchuk and what not, as well as things you want to scan as well, so it's not being used just for combat.

Anyway Retro said a while back there was no multiplayer in the game at all so I don't get the whole "play against your friends" thing...maybe he was just making an assumption or something, I don't get why Retro would throw it into the game now.

Anyway Retro said a while back there was no multiplayer in the game at all so I don't get the whole "play against your friends" thing...maybe he was just making an assumption or something, I don't get why Retro would throw it into the game now.

Well, Yarnton is Yarnton. Same guy who said "that there isn't any DS redesign that I would know about" one day before DS Lite was revealed. :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!