NEurope
Ashley

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Lol over-reaction. I thought that statement was fairly obvious that it wasnt intended, hence the suggestive questions. I think these boards get too overexited about opinion, its always about opinion isnt it? Chill.

OK, If you like Prime 3 more then fine, but after looking at it on paper I think 1 fairs better. Although I guess there are more variables that I forgot.

Thing is all of the MP:1 music is a lot more memorable for me, I can't remember anything from corruption. At the time when I was playing MP3 it was really fun, I thought it would surpass MP1 on controls alone, but there was never a stand-out moment. I wanted it to happen but no.

Im going to play MP1 again soon, having done echoes on hard more recently. (6 months ago) and enjoy myself.

Does anyone else crave scanning, because I think it is a fair point to say that the 1st game it was much more interesting and detailed. 'The worm'

The games are quite different, MP:3 is much more focused on action and pace, whereas MP:1 is slower pace and more exploration is needed.

Well completed this last night, my final time was 12 hours 56 minutes, but I had only completed 57%! Still even with such a small amount of complete is by far a hell of a lot shorter than I spent on the other games, there is little doubt in my mind that this game is much easier, whether this is as a result of the new aiming system or a more casual approach I'm not so sure. I've by no means felt like I have rushed through and did get my fair share of bits that weren't on the usual track. I will likely go back and play it on Hyper difficulty.

Overall I think the game is the second best Prime title after the original. I think it has some of the greatest artistic direction I have ever seen in a game and its best and most stunning visual moments are right up with the original.

One final thing I am disappointed with the bosses, I did not expect to complete;

Omega Riley, Dark Samus and Aurora Unit

all in at the first attempt.

I think this game feels so different as it shows how Retro Studios has outgrown the series, they tried to implement as many other ideas into the game as they could possibly get away with and created a more action orientated game, all without trying to alienate the fan base. I think Nintendo should now give them free rein to make an original IP let's see what they are made of.

Well, I haven't picked up MP3 yet this year.... the last part I cleared was that part in the Pirate Homeworld where you have to protect the marines while they blow up gates and then you have a boss fight at the end with 3 special pirates.

I cleared that part on my first attempt, with the absolute minimum number of marines left alive, but I thought it was pretty tough. If I had failed that, I would have been very pissed off, I didn't really like the pressure.

Anyway, this to say that even not having finished the game yet, I think I had over 90% completion already (probably 99%, I think I only have one pickup left) and over 30 hours of gameplay. The game is not shorter than the others by any means, nor is it more casual. Excuse me but I fail to understand exactly what is supposed to be casual about Metroid Prime 3. It's a pure gamer's game, no discussion.

I think these boards get too overexited about opinion, its always about opinion isnt it? Chill.

Oh, the sweet irony - you told someone their opinion was wrong!

Anyway, I just borrowed this of DomJcg the other day, and my god, after the unfortunate dip with Echoes (a very good game, but not as good as it should have been), the series is set to finish as it started - awesomely! :awesome:

Oh, the sweet irony - you told someone their opinion was wrong!

And he just said it wasn't intended to be taken seriously, pay more attention. I think that post was a failed attempt at sarcasm. Everyone knows online sarcasm is tough to get through.

And he just said it wasn't intended to be taken seriously, pay more attention. I think that post was a failed attempt at sarcasm. Everyone knows online sarcasm is tough to get through.

There's a different between sarcasm and full-on laying into someone. There are also smilies.

Actually, you're right - sarcasm is impossible to get across on the internet, jeez... :indeed:

Well, I haven't picked up MP3 yet this year.... the last part I cleared was that part in the Pirate Homeworld where you have to protect the marines while they blow up gates and then you have a boss fight at the end with 3 special pirates.

I cleared that part on my first attempt, with the absolute minimum number of marines left alive, but I thought it was pretty tough. If I had failed that, I would have been very pissed off, I didn't really like the pressure.

Anyway, this to say that even not having finished the game yet, I think I had over 90% completion already (probably 99%, I think I only have one pickup left) and over 30 hours of gameplay. The game is not shorter than the others by any means, nor is it more casual. Excuse me but I fail to understand exactly what is supposed to be casual about Metroid Prime 3. It's a pure gamer's game, no discussion.

I perhaps didn't phrase what I said properly I meant it is more casual that previous games. It is easier without a doubt and has less backtracking, the more action orientated play lends itself to a wider audience who perhaps didn't understand the games First Person Adventure overtures. Also look at how easy the bosses were and how many health pick ups you would get throughout the battles. Compare this to Echoes and some of the dark bosses and it is a wholely different world. Don't get me wrong it's not like I rushed through the game and my time doesn't count times when I stupidly died having been stuck for ages...it is probably closer to 20 hours...but it was still odd to see such a short game time, the games ending came about all too fast!

Hmm, well, I just think it's roughly the same time as the other MP games. MP1 took me 27 hours, MP2 took me 32 I think, and MP3 is already above 30 hours. Those are my times, of course. Zelda TP took me 87 hours and I see people who finished it in 20 or 25. I just play differently. :)

And whenever I remember how wound up Elysia is, I cannot agree with what you say. That part when you go into the Pirates' labs and others, the planet is just so big. Also, the backtracking is basically all there too. The difference is you now use your ship. The ship works basically like the elevators in the previous games, with the difference that the elevators always go to the same place, whilst with the ship you can choose multiple destinations, cutting out A LOT of backtracking. For example, Bryyo has 4 or 5 ship landing sites and you can access them from any of the other landing sites in any of the other planets. Imagine if from Landing site B of Elysia you could only go to Landing site A of Bryyo. Then you'd have a lot of backtracking to do. But from Landing site B of Elysia, you can go to ANY other landing site in the game. And that goes for all Landing sites.

So, the backtracking is there because you have to jump from planet to planet to further your adventure when you are more powerful, you just have more shortcuts to do it. There are things on Bryyo that you can only acces after you've been all the way to the Pirate Homeworld. Same for all other planets.

Frankly and seriously, I see no real difference between the 3 games, gameplay wise. Granted, I'll admit that probably MP2 is the hardest, as is generally agreed. Possibly MP3 might be the easiest, of course there'll be differences in difficulty and length between all games (after all they are 3 games, not just one game), all I'm saying is that those differences are not as big as they're made out to be. If MP3 is shorter than MP1, it's probably just 2 or 3 hours shorter, not 10, is all I'm saying. Just like it took me 3 or 4 more hours to beat MP2 than it did MP1, I still say they're about the same size. 3 or 4 hours in game time is like 10 minutes in film time. A 100 minute filme is essencially the same length as a 110 minute film. You're not gonna say one is substancially longer than the other just for a few minutes, are you? ;)

EDIT: It might seem I'm contradicting myself there, when I say MP3 has the same backtracking and then I say the ship cuts a lot of backtracking, but I'm not, really. I'm just calling two different things by the same word. Backtracking as the way the game is constructed, where you have to go after where you've been, and backtracking as the actual path you take to go where you need to go. The former is the same in all games, the latter has shortcuts provided by the ship in MP3. :)

i found 3 harder then 1 or 2. a couple of bosses were like chuck norris on steroids

you've got to be kidding which ones?!

The reduced length is for one simple reason, it's easier to move around. You don't have to stop moving and turning to fight, so you can easily kill things as you run past them, so you spend much less time standing still and far more time moving. May not seem like a huge deal but it obviously adds up a lot in the long run. Also once you're used to the formula by a third game, what you have to do to get past certain areas obviously feels a lot more natural and you spend less time figuring things out. Fetch quest wasn't quite as irksome either since you could fly to locations close to the items you needed to find, no mindless backtracking for hours around the entire map.

Playing through my first time on veteran, the difficulty felt around the same as Prime 1 on normal I think, but "Veteran" in this game was obviously equivalent to the normal of previous games, since usually you'd unlock it after you finished but this time you unlock hyper.

I perhaps didn't phrase what I said properly I meant it is more casual that previous games. It is easier without a doubt and has less backtracking, the more action orientated play lends itself to a wider audience who perhaps didn't understand the games First Person Adventure overtures. Also look at how easy the bosses were and how many health pick ups you would get throughout the battles. Compare this to Echoes and some of the dark bosses and it is a wholely different world. Don't get me wrong it's not like I rushed through the game and my time doesn't count times when I stupidly died having been stuck for ages...it is probably closer to 20 hours...but it was still odd to see such a short game time, the games ending came about all too fast!

Did you play it on Veteran?

I did and found it on par with the other two in terms of difficulty. Actually I felt the difficulty was just right, challenging yet not frustrating.

Thing is all of the MP:1 music is a lot more memorable for me, I can't remember anything from corruption.

I can't remember a lot of music from either. TBH, there should have been more remixes of classic themes.

i found 3 harder then 1 or 2. a couple of bosses were like chuck norris on steroids

I found the bosses harder in MP3, too. Although the one with the four balls (Mogenar) was just plain annoying.

I'm glad that MP3 made repeat appearances of the Metroid Hatcher, just like Prime did with adult Sheegoth. Totally owning the earlier bossed (which were a quite hard on their first appearance) with one shot gives you a great sense of power.

MP3 only took me 17 hours on Veteran (100% completion), but it seemed to flow a lot better (thanks to the ship) than the other two. That, and I'd gotten very used to noticing paths that I'll need a later item to remember, so I had a better idea of where to go.

I can't remember a lot of music from either. TBH, there should have been more remixes of classic themes.

I found the bosses harder in MP3, too. Although the one with the four balls (Mogenar) was just plain annoying.

I'm glad that MP3 made repeat appearances of the Metroid Hatcher, just like Prime did with adult Sheegoth. Totally owning the earlier bossed (which were a quite hard on their first appearance) with one shot gives you a great sense of power.

MP3 only took me 17 hours on Veteran (100% completion), but it seemed to flow a lot better (thanks to the ship) than the other two. That, and I'd gotten very used to noticing paths that I'll need a later item to remember, so I had a better idea of where to go.

Yeah have to say the xray visor made that a joy!

TBH, there should have been more remixes of classic themes.

Well I think he wanted to avoid that since he done plenty of it in Prime 1 and 2. Most of the standout memorable tracks from the older games have already featured remixed to some degree and honestly I'm sick fed up of hearing remixes of certain tracks now (mainly Brinstar 1 from the original Metroid, good track but I've had enough).

This game did have a remix of the classic space pirate/crateria underground music in parts of the Pirate Homeworld though, from what I recall.

Thing is hyper mode is pretty beatable, I just can't be bothered to complete it again now that I have RE:UC. Awesome game!

I thought music was a standout thing in MP:1, the echoey fire place, techno, icy feel of phendrana and the general themes.

When I first played this through I never really got a decent amount of time with the game... I was always having to cut my play time short and so it broke down the experience a little!

Having time on my hands recently, I put this on yesterday and started my second play-through on hyper difficulty.

With a break for sleep, I've just finished the game with a time of 13hrs 23mins and 100% items collected.

Man, what a game! I'd forgotten just how good this is! So much so that I'd say I prefer it to SMG!

This is my favourite Wii game to date! Simply perfect!

(Not including Twilight Princess)

Oh yeah, and I've got a good few friend vouchers if anyone is up for swapping!

Yeah have to say the xray visor made that a joy!

What!? Aww man i totally missed out on that.

But anyways finding the game hard has to equal dying on bosses? I found the game hard or at least on par with MP1 but in the first one, only the last boss killed me (right when i had to hit him one more time to complete the game too) and on MP3, none of the bosses killed me! Actually i tell a lie the first one did. The rest I pretty much beat them first try but damn was it not easy.

Ok, started two hours ago playing this, its an excelent game, challenging, a bit hard, and with a good storyline.

But im only at the beginning xD (I defeated right now the first boss, and im gonna to sleep)

Ok, started two hours ago playing this, its an excelent game, challenging, a bit hard, and with a good storyline.

But im only at the beginning xD (I defeated right now the first boss, and im gonna to sleep)

wow if id just got the game and defeated the first 'boss' then i would have to play for another hour lol

good man!

Meta Ridley fucking rulls ^^

Now, im corrupted and im at the Bryuu (Something like that) planet, im gonna make a pause now, maybe i'l comeback to the game later.

This game is awesome ^^

Meta Ridley fucking rulls ^^

Now, im corrupted and im at the Bryuu (Something like that) planet, im gonna make a pause now, maybe i'l comeback to the game later.

This game is awesome ^^

It is very good whilst playing the starting bits but it never took off for me. The levels aren't as good. I think that Ridley fight you have just done is the best boss in the game, which is a shame.

It is very good whilst playing the starting bits but it never took off for me. The levels aren't as good. I think that Ridley fight you have just done is the best boss in the game, which is a shame.
I think you're really underappreciating the game. Ridley is awesome, sure, but there are some sheer brilliant fights later on.