Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

EchoDesiato

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its ironic coming from the assofaman:heh:

I think I finally understand what you're doing and I support it 100%. But be aware the more the flaws you read about the more you will be thinking of as you play and the less you'll enjoy the game.

what doing his very best to get underhyped for this game by looking at the worst previews despite the fact that he wants it madly?

I think I finally understand what you're doing and I support it 100%. But be aware the more the flaws you read about the more you will be thinking of as you play and the less you'll enjoy the game.

Nah, it won't affect my enjoyment of the game. I did the same thing with OOT [which still remains my favourite game to date] and Majoras Mask in particular [that's an underrated game as it had some really unique elements to it, a lot darker than previous Zelda games, with the exception of the upcoming Twilight Princess of course]. Although it doesn't appear so, just like everyone here, I am REALLY looking forward to this game, its looking like it will be a fantastic game. I just want it to live up to its name and be a memorable experience. The rankings don't have an influence on my opinion as such, its just the prestige knowing that you've played and enjoyed an all time classic.

From all of these previews i have read nothing that i have seen has put me off.. yeah theres a few niggles here or there but nothing that makes me think this couldnt be the best game ever!

The only thing thats really going against this game getting near perfect 10 scores was the fact it was originally a cube game. Thats where the bulk of the criticism is based upon. If this game was never a cube game to begin with, most criticism of the game would cease to exist, so in a sense, Nintendo in an attempt to maximise customer satisfaction --> sales, has created a trade off where friendly fire on the Wii version has resulted, penalties due to the perceived belief that it was an afterthought and it could've been better. It will be too much for some and the person in particular that demonstates this, is Mark Wilson from Kotaku, he almost dismisses the game being on Wii as an afterthough that it is only a "little better" not WAY better like all the others have said. This is a very good sign though, that were unlikely to get a substantial number of people significantly penalising the game. Of course though, just like every other game in history, you have those few individuals that gives the game a lower rating than everyone else. Some kid gave OOT 8/10 and its on gamerankings. :nono:

IGN's Part 2 is up.

The good bits:

Twilight Princess features a huge, sprawling world - one of the biggest I've seen in any adventure game, and I've only witnessed portions of the universe so far.

Nintendo representatives have stated that Hyrule Field is at least five times larger than the one in Ocarina of Time and based on the sections of it I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. I think, in fact, that it could be larger still. And this says nothing of the many other areas I've explored, but am not yet allowed to write about, including other villages and entire provinces.

The game kicks off to a quick start and the action and challenges rarely relent. The result is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience that both feels like every Zelda we've played before and also completely new. I've always appreciated Nintendo design and Twilight Princess - even early on - demonstrates that few in this industry can make a game as epic and engaging as the Big N's top teams can. Of course, I'm not nearly through the finished product, but I have faith, and now that I've glimpsed Nintendo's newest Hyrulian adventure, I'd be surprised if it didn't go down as another genre benchmark, not to mention a cherished classic.

As for difficulty, the game is undeniably harder than Wind Waker and on par with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, if it's not more challenging yet. To give you some examples, you need to collect five heart pieces, not four, to up your life count. Restorative hearts are fewer and farther between. And enemies generally inflict greater damage on Link than they did in Wind Waker. Sure, there are foes that will only take off a quarter heart, but there are also enemies that will halve your heart, take off a full heart, or even take off two of them.

yeah all the extra vids, and screens lately have got me excited beyond words. i am now anticipating this game more than any other game ever including Ocarina of Time. i remember still when i first bought that on release day and it was pure magical.

70 plus hours, much larger than Ocarina of Time? well it took me roughly 80 hours to complete that game. admittedly i like to enjoy my games, and explore everything. But this will be looking at over 100 hours spanning over a many months i think.

Zelda and Midna appear to know each other, although neither seems particularly fond of the other. The Princess explains what has happened and a cinematic ensues.

The sequence shows the hall of Hyrule Castle. Princess Zelda sits in her throne and a dozen or so guards stand at the ready in front of the castle's doors. Suddenly, a black fog blows through the entrance and into the hall, where litters of nasty Twilight creatures squirm form from the mist and proceed to attack and kill the guards. Afterward, a much bigger Twilight creature, walking on its hind legs, dressed in garb, and wearing a horned helmet, makes its way down the center isle toward Zelda. The monster tells the Princess that the time has come for her to surrender or die, and with that she drops her sword. In the next sequence, we can see Hyrule Castle on fire as the Twilight overtakes the area and transforms its peoples into spirits. It's an impressive cut-scene.

Now, imprisoned in her Twilight Castle, Zelda tells Midna and Link to leave before they are discovered.

Going be blood when the guards are killed? :shock:

That video needs to be updated Cookyman.

*Criticism Index on Page 209 updated with NEW GAMESPOT criticisms.

ALSO ADDED PLANET GAMECUBE criticisms, quite a lot I found there, on par with Kotaku.

& Finally have Twilight Princess actually spelt correctly with the insertion of the ninth letter of the alpahbet which is --> I.

I've been thinking, based on the pros vs the cons. I'm going to make a realistic prediction shying away from my previous 8.8/10 predictions early on when the controls were extremely buggy. I reckon Twilight Princess after 10+ reviews will achieve an average score of 96.3% at the very highest [Not a single publication will score the game perfect 10 but close] with an average vote of 8.9/10, this means it will claim third spot on the all time list on gamerankings.com, it will not surpass Ocarina of Time or Soul Calibur, the game will be penalised too much due to the criticisms that i've listed on page 209 but it could still go as low as 95.8% with an average vote of 8.8 in which case it would not make the top 5 games of all time on gamerankings.com. My ideal result is for the game to surpass Resident Evil 4 in rankings and sneak into the top 5 and I think it'll do just that.

*Criticism Index on Page 209 updated with NEW GAMESPOT criticisms.

Yeah but some of their critisisms are completely stupid!!

No HD!!! Well duh! That's like moaning that the PS3 doesn't have stereoscopic 3D vision!! It's NEVER going to be in HD, get over it!!!!!!

No voice acting!! Well that's Zelda isn't it, it's done on purpose, to put you in the story so you can make it up. I has and never will have voice acting - Iwata or Miyamoto have said as much!!

Yeah but some of their critisisms are completely stupid!!

No HD!!! Well duh! That's like moaning that the PS3 doesn't have stereoscopic 3D vision!! It's NEVER going to be in HD, get over it!!!!!!

No voice acting!! Well that's Zelda isn't it, it's done on purpose, to put you in the story so you can make it up. I has and never will have voice acting - Iwata or Miyamoto have said as much!!

Agreed, they certainly are but unfortunately they will result in deductions which is a real shame.

Mid next week, more silence agreements will be lifted and this will be the last lot of details about the game before the

REVIEWS!!!!

I'll be back just in time for when scores start circulating around the internet as the next few days I won't be present in the forums having to attend to extremely important duties. That means no criticism updates for your reading pleasure unfortunately...

From what I understand from Matt's previews is that Hyrule is actually so big Nintendo has divided it in Provinces, each with their own Twilight zone... So the minimap we saw a few weeks ago was only one of the many provinces...

Considering Ocarina of Time was approximately 30-35 hours on its first playthrough, 50 hours is a safer bet for this title. Length is one thing, but considering the quality Nintendo has put in this title I couldn't care whether it's as long as OoT or twice as long...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!