Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

EchoDesiato

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Hyrule is kind of convinient to explain the changes in the map from OoT to the other games.

but even the player's guides from old school zelda games describe Hyrule as aland with " sprawling fields" in which you don't see in ALTTP and all those oldies.

well when theyre done with this 5 some or whatever the hell is going on with OOT, MM, TP, MM sequel and another...I want a game that happens after ALTTP in new Hyrule and in which the land is changed and developed enough to have a new Hyrule field and I think even though the king told tetra the land would be her land, she'd still call it hyrule for his sake.

FOR GOD SAKES IT IS JUST A VIDEOGAME!!!

There, finally got that out of my system.

Zeldafan you are looking into things way too much, Zelda is a video game and video games are essentially about gameplay, books are about stories.

The Legend of Zelda isn't epic for it's story telling, it's epic for it's breath-taking visual effects and scenery, outstanding characters and enemies and finally it is epic for being a great, solid adventure.

I'm not saying you need to get a life or anything but really you keep freaking out over all these small details in the series which i bet the developers don't even care about.

But every post you make you're either complaining or just making a fuss about how you don't understand.

The people on these forums aren't here to feed you more knowledge about the game, they're here to discuss ideas and aspects of a great gaming series so if you need to know something go on Wikipedia or a Zelda fan-site because your posts are really becoming spam.

So essentially what i am trying to say is think before you post and stop posting every thought that comes to mind.

*I apologise in advance if this offends you i'm just trying to express how i feel*

well when theyre done with this 5 some

Can I get in on that....sounds like it could get a bit messy.

You know I been watching this thread for quite a bit and I finally had to get in here, just because I can't stop laughing my ass off.

Look zeldafan you obviously care a lot about the games, which is good, but you're more like Romeo and Juliet kill themselves because they think the other one is dead care about these games. I mean seriously I know the disc has a whole but i'm pretty sure you shouldn't be sticking it in there.

Okay that one was a little below the belt, and I apoligise, but maybe if you want to be taken seriously around here you could start using proper grammar and punctuation. I'm being serious here, it is a strain on the eyes to read your posts. I don't know how old you are, and it doesn't matter because we're all treated equally around here, but you're acting like a 5-year old. Now grow up.

well no one can tell me the story part doesnt matter and it's alllllll about gameplay and fucking visuals! it IS a BIG part about story and that's why I'm so caught up in it like nothing else in the world.
zelda without gameplay would be crap... if you think of the first zelda back in the NES days... graphics were crap and storyline was crap compared to today's standards...

therefore I conclude... Zelda is all about gameplay, not graphics or storyline, that's secondary although just as good in the sum of all pieces...

zelda without gameplay would be crap... if you think of the first zelda back in the NES days... graphics were crap and storyline was crap compared to today's standards...

therefore I conclude... Zelda is all about gameplay, not graphics or storyline, that's secondary although just as good in the sum of all pieces...[/

Well I respect your opinion,but I personally think storyline comes first, then visuals and gameplay.

I honestly don't see why everone cares about the time line. I don't think shigsy ever intended all the games to fit togather on one grand scale. We should really just try to look at the games as individualls, only then will we not get distracted by decades of story that have nothing to do with THIS GAME anyway.

I don't see zelda games as being on one timeline but more basic than that. Bad guy kidnaps zelda, hero of time comes around... claims master sword, saves zelda and in turn the world by slaughtering evil. Its classic.

Simple as that.

What makes Zelda so great is the blend of gameplay story and visuals (and music etc)!

Gameplay (most important!) - Viewtiful Joe shows this, it's an absolutely amazing game with such a poor story, the visual style can be seen as either great or really bad, personally i see it as great, yet even people who don't like the look of it admit it's a great game!

Story - Eternal Darkness, lets be honest, if we step back and actually think about the way the game plays its not that great, pretty average! The graphics are ok but I'd say mediocre. The story is so good it's draws you into the game and gets you hooked!

Graphics - Res Evil 4, YES the gameplay is amazing (I'd say it's best feature), the story is ok, but the graphics set the atmosphere for this game, it still would have been a great game had the graphics not been as good but the fact they were that good just made it better! Great atmosphere! (I couldn't think of a better example to use where the game looks great but doesn't play well)

LoZ creates the perfect balance of these 3 (and music etc) and that's what makes it so great! However, if the gameplay wasn't as solid as it is then I'd rank it along with the above games, yet because it's so good it's in a league of it's own (well, along with Metroid haha)!

McMad's point is that Zelda's story should not be treated as if it was a book, comparing each detail to the other game and analysing it. It just doesn't work.

Stories are there to make gameplay in games as it's the reason for the interaction with the player. Therefore a story is always subordinate to gameplay.

Like gmanprime said, there's probably no timeline at all, and if there is one, Nintendo is not going to make their games so that they exactly fit the timeline.

I'm with the majority here, gameplay is the most important factor, hands down. Now i'm not going to lie, I do like a good story and decent graphics. Infact some of you guys who have been here a little while longer will remember I was one of the major Killer7 lovers, a game who's edgy graphics and deep, politically charged storyline saved its simple and repeptitive gameplay.

But not Zelda. Zelda in my opinion is one of the, if not the greatest series of games of all time, and no amount of glossy visuals or twisting plots can earn you that title. In Zelda gameplay is King, and always has been.

Personally, i think the two go together hand-in-hand. Good gameplay and a good story is essential in an adventure game. You'll be hardpressed to say one is better than the other. Both are there to immerse you. Graphics are there to immerse you within the game as well. Who wasn't overwhelmed when they saw Hyrule Field for the first time on Ocarina of Time? Or the sheer scale of the world in A link to the Past? Both have very different graphics, but both are immersive. I still find the world we find in a link to the past absolutely huge and mysterious as i did years ago.

Personally, i think the two go together hand-in-hand. Good gameplay and a good story is essential in an adventure game. You'll be hardpressed to say one is better than the other. Both are there to immerse you. Graphics are there to immerse you within the game as well. Who wasn't overwhelmed when they saw Hyrule Field for the first time on Ocarina of Time? Or the sheer scale of the world in A link to the Past? Both have very different graphics, but both are immersive. I still find the world we find in a link to the past absolutely huge and mysterious as i did years ago.
yeah, but in Zelda's case... it's the gameplay that shapes the story...

for example Metal Gear is very good too, but it's more like... the story shapes the gameplay...

I don't know if you guy's will agree with me on that, but that's just how I feel about it.

for example Metal Gear is very good too, but it's more like... the story shapes the gameplay...

I don't know if you guy's will agree with me on that, but that's just how I feel about it.

My mind keeps changing about which one i value more- story or gameplay. Both are very, very important when it comes to Zelda. But, if you twist things around, you have to ask yourself would Zelda be any good if it had a bad story or bad gameplay.

Now, who wants to play a Zelda game with bad gameplay? ;)

i think that when technical limitations were the order of the day the story wasn;t so important because the entire package required you to suspend your disbelief.

now we have such amazing presentation that the story has to be up to a decent par or the package falls apart.

i wonder if on the rev we will see story changed that justify new gameplay methods... as has been hinted at by TP being the last traditional zelda.

Everything is just as important, Its what order you concentrate them on.

Function before form

Gameplay before everything else,

when a game is being made the game engine is always the first thing thats made, then the story the graphics and everything else.

RPGs are slightly different, as there isnt much to do with the game engine other then to evolve it in someway.

Metal Gear Solid has a strong story, simple because Hideo Kojima wanted to be a director, to him story is just as important, but then he doesnt go rushing out the game once thats done, oh no, with eahc metal gear game there was a large enough degree of evolution in the gameplay to make that game a sequel. with MGS4 it will be destructable environments and hearts and minds so to speak. Great efforts are being made to pull this off.

so the long and short of it, gameplay comes first in the design of games,

kinda like how some games are made simplly from a demo of a particular game engine or so.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!