NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

It sucks not to have GC controls, stupid bloody product strategies. I'll still get the Wii version though, the Wii controls should be as great as the traditional ones.

Nintendo has made some major changes to the control scheme for the Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Speaking to Japan's monthly Nintendo Dream publication, producer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the game will now allow players to swing the controller for sword slashes.

At E3, players used the B button to swing Link's sword, with Nintendo explaining at the time that players would likely get tired having to actually swing the controller. "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

Going along with this change, Nintendo has made modifications to the game's bow and arrow controls. In the E3 version, players aimed with the Wiimote, then actually shot out arrows using the D-pad. With the B button now free, Nintendo has moved the action to the B button. Miyamoto felt that that shooting the arrow with the D-pad was too difficult, and the B button allows for quicker and easier shooting.

It's unclear if the game will require the new control scheme or if players will be able to chose between different methods of control.

Nintendo Dream closed off by asking Miyamoto to name the version of Zelda he personally prefers. The master game maker said that he'd play the Wii version, but added that both versions will be fun.

"I can't talk about it yet, but this Zelda has a lot to it," said Miyamoto. "What you played at E3 was just the tip of the nail." Regarding Nintendo's statement at E3 that Twilight Princess would be the best Zelda in history, he said, "Yes. It's coming along quite nicely."

With Twilight Princess due out at launch, GameCube and Wii owners will get to fully explore the potentially greatest Zelda game ever in just a few months.

IGN

Theres so many surprises in the new Zelda, it's going to be SUPERB!

HURRY UP NINTENDO! TELL US THE RELEASE DATE! :bouncy:

Allthough it does sound more fun to me, I do worry a bit. Maybe the tiring aspect will end up not being so bad after all, but it's a fact pressing a button is easier and quicker than a slashing motion. I wonder if it'll be possible to be as quick with slashes and sword swings as on the N64 or GameCube.

Maybe, to make things easier, the game can ignore the direction you're slashing in, so you can just wave to make multiple slashes. That'll be quicker than keep starting a motion from one end to another.

It's risky making the controls like this, but if they can pull it off, it will be simply amazing. Hopefully when you load the game up for the first time, it will ask you how you want it.

Also, I hope Nintendo add a lot of extras. I only just unlocked the HandCannon in Resi 4 (mercenaries is a b*tch), so I hope Nintendo add some other modes in the game (the way they added Tingle Tower in 4 Swords). I think it would be great if once you complete the game, you unlock a harder mode, or seperates modes (like Resi 4's Mercenaries or the Ada Mission) that you can choose to play at the main menu, and if you complete these, you unlock weapons or areas in the main game.

The new controls sounds very interesting, I just hope the new sword combat retains the feel of fighting in wind waker and ocarina. They better make the controls perfect, but nintendo can make that happen.

LMBO, I can imagine playing the Wii version and doing the super spin attack in my bedroom while neighbours walk by looking in the window.

I must say, with the way the battles unfold in a Zelda game I really don't like this idea!

Red Steel... yes, the way the battles are in that I feel that swinging would suit (real time swinging that is!), just not in Zelda...

I hope they give the option of controlling it in different ways, as opposed to just one way

I must say, with the way the battles unfold in a Zelda game I really don't like this idea!

Red Steel... yes, the way the battles are in that I feel that swinging would suit (real time swinging that is!), just not in Zelda...

I hope they give the option of controlling it in different ways, as opposed to just one way

There's always the Cube version. Fishing and archery will be less cool though.

Well i'm sure Nintendo have reasearched getting tired very extensively since they were very aware that it could be a problem before. I'm sure it'll work, I hope so at least:heh:

Whilst I understand a lot of concerns here are valid, I don't really echo any of them. This new control scheme does sound a bit odd, and could potentially have flaws, however I have utter faith in Nintendo to produce the best control system possible for this game.

It's sounding better every time I heard something about it.

will I have to do a little twirl for the spinattack? And how gigh should I jump for the downward-thrust? I need a bigger living room, this might not be good news in high density areas in Japan...

I've been thinking about this all day and i can finally say that i don't like the idea.

I just can't think how this will suit the game without sword combat being first person.

I think it's interesting nintendo has choose to do this. I think you should be able to choose whether you use your arm movement for sword swinging or buttons.

Like the option on MP:H.

Maybe they'll show TP at Leipzig with the new controls. I need to see how it will work before I either like or dislike the idea.

Zelda hype multiplied by 10.

I double that notion!

I can't wait to play this game now, and no, i will not get tired arms.

this sounds terrific, can't believe some people don't actually like the idea! when we all saw the original controller teasers we were all wishing we could do that in zelda!! now we're being given that chance a lot of folks are complaining...

people doubted mario would work in 3d and they pulled it off. a lot of people doubted control schemes for the ds but nintendo pulled them off, they shall do so again. it's not like you have to jump up and down and do exaggerated swings, u can if u wish but remember it'll sense small motions too. a quick jab down will down the finishing move like they've already said, and a flick of the wrist with the nunchuku and there's ur spin attack... again, like they've said.

we're meant to be getting something new, we all want Wii, yet some people want old fashioned control schemes back... then go buy the GCN version and don't bother with a Wii, because new control schemes and "new ways to play" are what it's all about.

the only people complaining that games won't work with the wiimote should be sony fanboys ;) lol, just kidding with that last sentence.

When was the last time nintendo screwed a zelda game? Let's see... 1988 in Zelda 2 and it was not a bad game.

If they're risking this on they'r biggest franchise it's because they know what they'r doing. They risked cel-shaded in WW and it came out particularly well, although not generating as much sales as OOT.

And no one is going to get tired arms. I can only believe that you are all still visualizing the first Wii trailer with that guy swinging is Wiimote as if he was going to die. I could bet that just minimal movements will be enough. Plus, you will probably be able to configure the sensitiveness.

When was the last time nintendo screwed a zelda game? Let's see... 1988 in Zelda 2 and it was not a bad game.

If they're risking this on they'r biggest franchise it's because they know what they'r doing. They risked cel-shaded in WW and it came out particularly well, although not generating as much sales as OOT.

And no one is going to get tired arms. I can only believe that you are all still visualizing the first Wii trailer with that guy swinging is Wiimote as if he was going to die. I could bet that just minimal movements will be enough. Plus, you will probably be able to configure the sensitiveness.

here here...

although i know i'm gonna swing like my life depended on it at times, just for the heck of it lol!

I dont really see the problem in making some flicks with your wrist in the direction you want to use your sword. It's basically like in the final section of mgs2.