Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The 2006 GCSE Thread

Stocka

Okay many people here are doing their GCSEs very soon (like me) so I thought it would be a good idea for us to have a place to gather and help each other out, request help and generally discuss the whole situation.

But please, for those of you doing SATs/A Levels/Uni exams please don't discuss them in here, but rather somewhere else (preferably a seperate thread)

So to start us off, has anyone else got their language orals next week? My french oral is on tuesday morning at 9am, which is lucky as had it been wednesday morning I wouldn't be able to revise the night before because of the Nintendo conference :heh:

I wouldn't say I'm too nervous for it (yet) as the moch went fine, I just know I'll need to revise quite a bit on Monday as there's so much I've forgotten.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stefkov

my spanish oral is tomorow at 10:15, how the shizzle am i gonn learn the answers to 33 questions, a presentation and 5 more questions after that in one night?!?

my mock went ok becasuei basically had notes for it all and sailed through it, but i cant have notes except for my presentation which will be ok with notes, but ive gotta learn the answers to the other questions

anyone got any revising tips. ive tried with a cd/mp3 however its not that great cos when i was learning japanese from those tapes i knew what i was gonna say, but i just have to memorize this!

so does anyone have a any good revising tips?

has anyone found this year that this year there's been no study leave. Last year my brother got like a month off school to do revision before he took any tests. I'd have preffered that TBH. Especially with subjects like Geography:heh:

GCSEs are over-rated, as long as you can get Cs you will have muchos respect.

Many institutes that teach trades for work in industry only require a couple of GCSEs. It's more the dedication that they want from you.. if you fuck around in school and expect an institution to take you on to learn something like carpentry, architecture, photography or even health and social work then you're mistaken.

They will accept you if you genuinely want to work and just couldn't get on in a school environment. Don't believe all the pressure schools put you in- they recieve money directly based on how many students recieve an A*-C grade.. that's why they pressure you, our school hit above the 70% level for A*-C and they got a whole lot of money.

Don't fret about GCSEs people, remember to relax and do lots of past papers if you're worried about the exams.. many courses simply recirculate the same questions every few years- learn them and you're sure to do well.

Obviously if you're aiming for University professions or want to go to a 6th form college you'll need passes in English Maths and Science so the above information doesn't apply to you- you need to work as much as you think you need to to get where you want to be.

as long as you can get Cs you will have muchos respect.

You will? From who? What shit advice, if you want to get anywhere in life, you need to be aiming for the very best you can achieve in everything you do. :)

Especially with subjects like Geography

Hey, what's wrong with Geography? :shock: It's the best subject by far!

Employers don't care about how many A*s you got, they want to know how many passes you got.

If you have higher qualifications they will probably not give a damn and the only courses at university that take into consideration GCSEs are the ones like Medicine, Law, etc.

at the end of my post I noted if you are aiming for a university based profession then you 'know' how much work you have to do already.

If you get Cs nearly every public college will take you, I think out of the catchment area for my local 6th form they wanted Cs, if you didn't meet that requirement they still took you on board on contract (saying that you'll work)

Employers value the number of Cs or above you get, they probably wont care if you got an A* or a C, most applications i've filled out in the past 3 years have asked how many GCSEs have you got (A*-C)

My advice was merely meant to say- don't get stressed out if you're not getting A*s, they are quite over-rated with regard to employers.. if you go onto a-levels/diplomas/degrees they become overshadowed.

Nearly everything you do after school is more important and will overshadow your GCSEs, and they are merely a key to get you where you want to go- and if you put that into perspective.. often the standard required is C.

My mate applied to do music, he had a few As at GCSE but it was clear he was going to slack off, so they gave his place on the course to someone who I know who had like a B in music and the rest of his GCSEs were Ds and Es.

GCSEs are not everything and many will agree with me.

I'm in Year 9 but I was chosen to do a Biology GCSE a year early due to my intelligence (sorry if that sounds big headed). My final exam is in June, but I'm not sure. I'm at an overall C, 0.4% off a B. I handed in my coursework which was fine apparently, so I'm going into that exam with a low B. Is it possible to get an A out of that exam, if so what grade do I need from it?

Employers don't care about how many A*s you got, they want to know how many passes you got.

If you have higher qualifications they will probably not give a damn and the only courses at university that take into consideration GCSEs are the ones like Medicine, Law, etc.

at the end of my post I noted if you are aiming for a university based profession then you 'know' how much work you have to do already.

If you get Cs nearly every public college will take you, I think out of the catchment area for my local 6th form they wanted Cs, if you didn't meet that requirement they still took you on board on contract (saying that you'll work)

Employers value the number of Cs or above you get, they probably wont care if you got an A* or a C, most applications i've filled out in the past 3 years have asked how many GCSEs have you got (A*-C)

My advice was merely meant to say- don't get stressed out if you're not getting A*s, they are quite over-rated with regard to employers.. if you go onto a-levels/diplomas/degrees they become overshadowed.

Nearly everything you do after school is more important and will overshadow your GCSEs, and they are merely a key to get you where you want to go- and if you put that into perspective.. often the standard required is C.

My mate applied to do music, he had a few As at GCSE but it was clear he was going to slack off, so they gave his place on the course to someone who I know who had like a B in music and the rest of his GCSEs were Ds and Es.

GCSEs are not everything and many will agree with me.

I'm sorry but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

1. Universities do take GCSEs into consideration (or at least the half decent ones do)

2. Employers don't care if you got an A* or C? Don't make me laugh. There is a huge difference between an A* and a C, and they know that. Imagine you're sitting there with 2 CVs. One is full of A*s and As, the other Cs. Which candidate one do you employ? I know which one I would.

3. Everything you do after GCSEs are more important, you're right. But what if you don't get the opportunities to do what you want, like a good career or a degree, because you messed around at school?

1. Universities do take GCSEs into consideration (or at least the half decent ones do)

- Untrue, yes the elitist ones do, Cambridge, Oxford, Nottingham etc.. but if you are in the group of people who 'can' go to these universities you don't need advice from a thread like this. There are Universities like the university of Essex which will take you on for a degree with a GCSE in English and Maths and a pass in 1 a-level.

Colchester Institute will take you on board for diplomas that lead to degrees with grades as low a E/D in your GCSEs

2. Employers don't care if you got an A* or C? Don't make me laugh. There is a huge difference between an A* and a C, and they know that. Imagine you're sitting there with 2 CVs. One is full of A*s and As, the other Cs. Which candidate one do you employ? I know which one I would.

- Employers don't value GCSEs as an indication of ability.. experience goes above even some degrees in certain industries, most employers will browse your GCSEs but other things are more important- communication skills, computer skills, experience, higher qualifications.

3. Everything you do after GCSEs are more important, you're right. But what if you don't get the opportunities to do what you want, like a good career or a degree, because you messed around at school?

- My point was, if you're getting stressed about GCSEs and ain't gonna do great, it's not the end of the world.. other institutions will consider you for vocational courses if you show some vague motivation for the course.

You're scaremongering, not everyone wants to go to university, not everyone can.. you have been brainwashed by the education system that wants 50% of young people to go to university.

I'm not advocating slacking at all- everyone with a brain should realise that the benefit from an education is limitless.

I'm merely highlighting the oppurtunities to those who do not do well in their GCSEs. Schools brainwash you into thinking if you don't get Cs you're going to be a fuck up and you won't get into a further education institution.

Schools brainwash you into thinking if you don't get Cs you're going to be a fuck up and you won't get into a further education institution.

Not really, schools want you to get high marks so the school looks like a good school, it's basically all about the school's reputation when it comes down to it.

Guest Stefkov

ok rather than discuss about whether or not GCSE's are important, this is the help thred, so we dont really need any of this.

on another and quite high note i got maybe an A/B in my oral!!

he told me to learn 3 topics (hobbies, self and school) so i learned the first 2 becasue they were easier, then i actually needed to answer about school!!

i was a bit pissed off at my teacher because im sure he could have told me that. anyway, he made it up by fitting in hobbies questions into the school. so i did ok. however he said he aint sure the examiner will allow it....answering hobbies in a school question.

also what was quite funny was that to answer a question all i had to really say was 'si'. but something happened and i said ' yeah', then realised, then said 'mak', which you say tak but the 't', but you use your tongue. so your saying t but with your tongue up to your teeth, its quite hard to explain. then i finally said 'si'.

Sorry, I know that this thread is for GCSE students but I onnly have a year to go and am alowly getting my results of my pre-prelims (q's from past papers stuck together and we get tested on). I got 2 1's (Equiv. A*) in Physics and a 1-2 on Maths (1 mark away form 1-1). Only 2 peopel in our whole maths class passed the test, so I suppose I did ok.

My brother got 7 1's (we only get 8 subjects here (Only 7 in his day), we cram all English into a subject and all maths into a subject) and 5 A's at Higher... and I'm said to be smarter than him o_O.

Been revising for my French oral a bit, learnt the roleplays all perfectly fine except for one thing that is probably obvious but I couldn't think of how to say it.

"Ask what time you should meet"

If someone could tell me how to say it, please do as it would save me lots of time.

Been revising for my French oral a bit, learnt the roleplays all perfectly fine except for one thing that is probably obvious but I couldn't think of how to say it.

"Ask what time you should meet"

If someone could tell me how to say it, please do as it would save me lots of time.

Do you still have to learn lists of questions? I hated that...

As for "what time you should meet"... I haven't done french for a year, so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt but:

A quelle heure nous doivent retrouver?

Or something like that.

Edit: btw, my phrase says "what time should we meet?".

Good luck to everyone doing GSCE's. Don't worry too much about them. Its a loss-loss situation for you guys, asit was when i took them, if you do badly, the system makes you feel like that you have no prospects, and if you do well, the media just tells you how easy they are getting how how all you effort was useless. Just do the bestyou can.

Most jobs just care if you get 5 A-C's, Universities don't relly care, predicted A levels are far more important (I know specifically for Oxford the only thing that mattered was predicted A levels to get an interview, and you place was decided by the test you did on interview) .

I'd recommend putting the most effort into maths and english GSCE's they are the ones people look at, not business studies or geography. Its not the end of the world if dont do as well as expected, there a plenty of jobs out there, and you can get to the same place as most uni students by working yourself up trough a company (and you don't get £16,000 worth of debt).

Guest Stefkov

yay no more exams until my spanish listening on he 22nd may! yes!

got study leave after this friday !!! :glee:

!!exclamation mark!!

For those that have done GCSEs, which exam would you say you found the most difficult?

I know everyone finds different things easier/harder than others but I'm asking because I'm just generally interested.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!