NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Original Star Wars DVDs are coming!!!!

Lucasfilm has announced that this September fans can look forward to the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic "Star Wars" trilogy!

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy "Star Wars" as it first appeared in 1977, "Empire" in 1980, and "Jedi" in 1983.

See the title crawl to "Star Wars" before it was known as "Episode IV"; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. The international release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."

HAN SHOT FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Cool, the originals.

Now I'm kind of annoyed that I got the remastered version of 2004 already since it's included here too, but it was totally worth it.

Why the hell are they making it limited? Boo

I'd imagine it will be "limited" in the way that it says it is, but its not. In the same kind of way nearly every CD has a sticker saying "limited edition".

Those dumbass "special editions" are also branded "Limited Edition." there's a giant stack of them branded "Limited" in my local Tesco right now. Thank you sweet merciful Jesus. They can leave the interactive DVD games at though.

I'm thinking about getting this. But, i'm also thinking about waiting.

Waiting for what?

Waiting for them to create a newer boxset to make the one that i buy redundant.

This annoucement shouldt have suprised anyone what with Lucas cashing in on Star Wars left right and centre. No doubt he will relaese these and then another box set with all 6 in. Im still buying it though:grin:

I already have these? what the hell?

I've had them for ages, you're paying extra for a shiny box.. that's lame if you ask me.

They have all the bullshit documentaries and commentary that nobody except geeks watch. If I'm not mistaken I got these several months ago.. what's all the fuss about?

If it's just coming in a box or a tin then that's the biggest marketing gimmick ever, no wonder it's limited edition.. nobody would buy it otherwise.

screenshot964xy.jpg

It appears you have all fallen for their marketing ploy, they spend millions digitally remastering the films, everyone rebuys them from the old VHS edition.

Now they try to con you again, fuck that. Remastered is remastered, like I said nobody watches the extras and do you really appreciate the tin that much? What a load of bolox.

I already have these? what the hell?

I've had them for ages, you're paying extra for a shiny box.. that's lame if you ask me.

They have all the bullshit documentaries and commentary that nobody except geeks watch. If I'm not mistaken I got these several months ago.. what's all the fuss about?

If it's just coming in a box or a tin then that's the biggest marketing gimmick ever, no wonder it's limited edition.. nobody would buy it otherwise.

It appears you have all fallen for their marketing ploy, they spend millions digitally remastering the films, everyone rebuys them from the old VHS edition.

Now they try to con you again, fuck that. Remastered is remastered, like I said nobody watches the extras and do you really appreciate the tin that much? What a load of bolox.

Erm, I think you've misunderstood - These are the original ones minus the digital remastering and changes. The films as released in the late 70's/early 80's. They're not all that different to the ones we have now but those who don't like the extra's that were placed into the special editions and didn't buy them as a consequence will be happy with these.

I don't imagine I'll buy them, I'm happy with the special editions as they were how the films were when I first saw them.

Hahah that's even lamer, I can't believe there is a market for these people living in the past.

The updates were done so tastefully.

Hahah that's even lamer, I can't believe there is a market for these people living in the past.

The updates were done so tastefully.

Well from my point of view I'd much rather see a version of the film that ties in with the prequels and also makes sense by having Jabba the Hutt appear is a big fat slug monster in both films rather than a human in one and a big fat slug monster in the other. People will buy them though and then no doubt a box-set with all 6 films (Probably with the 3 versions of the original trilogy that have been released as well) will be released on the victor of HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray.

I probably won't be buying these, got all the DVDs already, and the only complaint I had with the special editions was Han not shooting first (though they changed it again and he shoots at the same time on the first DVD release) and that stupid bit where Han steps on Jabba's tail.

Oh, and there was no need for gungans and "Weesa free" at the end of Jedi.

Gungan in Jedi? Hmm, never saw them. In which part did Han shoot first? Never saw the originals. Is this only in US or UK too?

I'm waiting for them to release all 6 in one box set. Yeah people who actually saw the films when they first cam out always bang on about the original so I guess it will sell quite well.

I won't though as I saw the trailer on one of the DVDs for one of the original films and it looked crap compared to the remastered version.

They have now released 3 different versions of the same box set in about 18 months. They do a lot of milking on that Skywalker Ranch!

There's also that 6 films rolled into one, the Ultimate edition, John Williams was said to be working on new score to help the it all flow as one long film. Would be insane that, don't know if it was ever finished or if they're still working on it.

And of course, theyd make one version using the special edition original trilogy, then later with the original original trilogy.

There's the 3D versions of the original trilogy next year as well.

Gungan in Jedi? Hmm, never saw them. In which part did Han shoot first? Never saw the originals. Is this only in US or UK too?

In the DVD edition at the end of Jedi during the celebrations one of the planets we see is Naboo, with Gungans jumping up and down on top of one of the buildings shouting "weesa free". Really tiny thing, but JarJar was so annoying any reminder of him is awful.

In the original version of New Hope, Han shoots Greedo first, in the special editions they decided that Han was too honorable and good to do that so changed it.

In Episode 4 where he talks to Greedo in the cantina. In the original version Han just blasts him away making him look B.A but in the new versions Greedo shoots first making it look like Han done it in self defense.

I can't stand the years of dull establishing shots Lucas crammed into the original trilogy. Just look at the bit in New Hope where they zoom into Eisley for example. In the original it's a nice brief sweeping shot of them sailing down the mean streets of Mos Eisley, then cut to check point. In the "Special" Edition it's shot after shot of Jawas comedically losing control of giant wilderbeast, random droids, people in general and just loads of shit which you might have thought was cool being made very very boring. It's pure and simple, bad film making. Also, is that a comedy bump SFX I hear in the opening sequence on the rebel transport? Blurgh. As someone who grew up with the original trilogy on VHS, this was straight-up sacrelige. imagine slipping Coca-cola sponsership into the Cistine Chapel ceiling artwork. Yes, I am living in the past. That's 'cause I know what happend there, and it's a damn sight better then what we have now. Lucas has gone insane with power and should have been killed long, long ago.

I can't stand the years of dull establishing shots Lucas crammed into the original trilogy. Just look at the bit in New Hope where they zoom into Eisley for example. In the original it's a nice brief sweeping shot of them sailing down the mean streets of Mos Eisley, then cut to check point. In the "Special" Edition it's shot after shot of Jawas comedically losing control of giant wilderbeast, random droids, people in general and just loads of shit which you might have thought was cool being made very very boring. It's pure and simple, bad film making. Also, is that a comedy bump SFX I hear in the opening sequence on the rebel transport? Blurgh. As someone who grew up with the original trilogy on VHS, this was straight-up sacrelige. imagine slipping Coca-cola sponsership into the Cistine Chapel ceiling artwork. Yes, I am living in the past. That's 'cause I know what happend there, and it's a damn sight better then what we have now. Lucas has gone insane with power and should have been killed long, long ago.

I agree with you on this one. I remember when I seen the remakes at the pictures and coming out just thinking that whenever there was a bit of space in the film they just threw some random CGI creature in it.

MILKING%20IRIS%20low-res.jpg

+

star_wars_original.jpg

=

lucas2.jpg

+

cash.jpg

Lucas is such a greedy ****. Milking the series for everything he can to make more money for himself. I could go on about how much I hate what he does to the star wars franchise but its hardly worth it. People are suckers.

We don't care about being played for consumer chumps. Practically every company in the world is out to do that (although I have not yet bought any Star Wars movies on DVD yet - that's some consolation). What we take exception to is Lucas constantly revisiting his own, genuine, bonafide cinematic masterpiece that we all love and adore, and crapping all over it, dragging it into a side alley, raping it, and then kicking it's head in as he wipes his sperm-stained golden belt buckle clean with his own foreskin on public television. That's what we don't like.

I haven't bought a single Star Wars movie, just waiting on any form of boxset with all 6 in, then it will be mine. Untill then, Lucas can keep on milking..

Is the the version were jabba the hut is a man, and the sand creaute doesn't have a beak?

Sign in to follow this