N-Europe

DVD Playback On Revolution

solitanze

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stefkov

before i paint bucketed the 'panels' there was nothing else there, no screws or anything. maybe these are just to show that there is something there. what awas on the underside of the GC, a modem thing wasnt there? what others

Haha, sorry for using you as an example like that.

I imagine they're probably going to support whatever format wins the 'format wars' in a few years.

From what I understand there's holographic technology coming soon which exceeds even what Blu-Ray can deliver.. and has better read and write speeds because it doesn't need to be rotating.

But that's probably another few years off.

All I can remember is the e3 2005 statement "Small internal attachment".
Honestly are you really that bothered over some little technicality? Well here you go then you damn pedant.

You can also equip a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

Nintendork. You state everything like fact when it's pure speculation. What's to say that you don't open up the flap, insert the dongle or whatever it is and then close it again? Thus preserving the sleek design.

I'm not saying that's what it will be like, but it is an option. No-one but Nintendo knows for sure so you can't say it definately will or won't be there.

Wonder how the attachment will allow DVD's to be played.

The chip will enable the DVD to be initiated for the particular region the dongle was purchased in.

Buy a European dongle and it will allow EU DVDs to be played.

Much like on the xbox I suspect, when you insert a DVD without the dongle it will display an error, suggesting that you should purcahse the dongle.

What I am interested in is how the DVD playback will be controlled- the xbox came with a terrible controller, I'd like to use the FHC to control the DVD playback.

Remember there was quite a bit of hubub over the centre button on the Revolution. the one with a light in it.

I'm guessing that will be involved.

I'd prefer they allow us to use the FHC than require us to use some bundled shit controller.

Though this might be simpler for some people as the FHC does not have start pause FF/RW buttons.

Guest Stefkov

yeah the FHC would be cool as a remote for the dvd, big a to play. big b to pause. small b to stop, small a slow mo.

twist the FHC right to fast forward, twist other way to rewind.

or any other method

(damn you nintendork, jsut befor ei typed this :( )

The rev better have a fucking optical port, It will be a MAJOR mistake not to include one, surround sound makes a game so much better.

Why are you all having a go at Nintendork, he is only saying it as it is. Don't you people get tired of speculation, there is already far too much on certain shitty sites and boards.

The chip will enable the DVD to be initiated for the particular region the dongle was purchased in.

Buy a European dongle and it will allow EU DVDs to be played.

Does this mean it will be even easier to import and watch movies (FFVII AC). Do you think it will also allow to play import games as well?

Does this mean it will be even easier to import and watch movies (FFVII AC). Do you think it will also allow to play import games as well?
Theoretically if you imported a Japanese or [insert region] dongle you would be able to watch DVDs from that region.

I don't have a large enough import collection to warrant such an import.. but if you do, go for it.

This might be somewhat illegal.. You'll have to see what happens with Lik-Sang.

With regard to games I think it will be highly unlikely that the mpeg2 dongle will also include the same coding for games.

This should be regulated by the console just like the GameCube. The DVD attachment is merely an accesory, it's not standard.. however we're all still hoping and holding out for region free Revolution games to be announced ;)

I think the dongle will probably be region-free. For the same reason that HD DVD and Blu-Ray players are - theres no point manufacturing different ones when its easy for people to modify to make them multi-region, plus the gap in releases in different countries is just getting smaller - so importing will probably take longer than waiting

yeah the FHC would be cool as a remote for the dvd, big a to play. big b to pause. small b to stop, small a slow mo.

twist the FHC right to fast forward, twist other way to rewind.

or any other method

(damn you nintendork, jsut befor ei typed this :( )

I hope twisting it wont ff/rw. What happens when you put the controller down? Or someone knocks it off the sofa?

Guest Stefkov
I hope twisting it wont ff/rw. What happens when you put the controller down? Or someone knocks it off the sofa?

maybe you could hold down the small a button then do it. i didnt write anything for that tbefore so maybe that could be the trigger button

That's what I was thinking about.. I felt that a sharp prod would be nice to use to pause/play the movie.. but actually that's quite impractical.

I think moving in a circular motion (cw/ccw) would be better as it protects you from spoiling the movie if you drop the FHC.

The speed determining the speed of the FF/RW.

Then buttons to determine more precise movements like pause, skip chapter, back to menu and stop.

If you've played EyeToy you'll know what I mean with the menus that require circular motions.