N-Europe

Forget the Nunchuck Add-on for a sec...

Migraine

Looking back at all the things Nintendo have said about their new system, the controller and the state of the industry, I'm starting to think that the nunchuck add-on will not be used as much as people have assumed.

Firstly, Nintendo have stated that the reason behind their dramatic shift from the regular controller style is so non-gamers do not feel intimidated by the look and the idea of using both hands.

Secondly, in Iwata's speach at last year's TGS, he seems to stronly associate the Nunchuck add-on with first person shooters and other genres popular in the Western world.

I wouldn't be suprised if the large majority of first-party games we get to see at E3 only use the remote and have no need for the nunchuck add-on. In fact, I reckon even the top-secret Mario128 will work this way. This would be a big big suprise and would really freak a lot of people out but i reckon it's possibly the best way for nintendo to silence the critics, prove that you don't need a hand full of buttons to play games and demonstrate the amazing gameplay possible with just a little bit of imagination.

I reckon that the majority of 3rd party games will use the nunchuck add-on, however. It's kind of like a way to introduce this new '3D space' interface to developers without scaring them too much (I really hate the idea of this 'shell' or cradle,' it's seems like nintendo have been bullied into taking a step backwards cos people are too set in their ways).

Basically, I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of games (especially from old Ninty) that require only one hand to play: Wario ware, pilotwings, strategy titles (like pikmin), sports titles, even 3D platformers and adventure games. They're all possible without the nunchuck add-on.

Metroid and Smash Bros, however, are different. They're targeted towards regular games players, and so will use more complex controls - with a refreshing, motion-sensitive twist!

What do you think?

I think you are bang on. From what I remember, Iwata actualy said that the nunchuck was added due to requests and feedback from devs. So it would make sense as Nintendo have been planning on using only the FHC for a while. But hey I think Metroid will still use the nunchuck.

I have said many times that I want a game on launch that doesn't use it.. one where I can just lay down with one arm and relax playing the game.

I think the most enjoyable games will just use the standard free hand controller.. I will probably buy more 1 handed games than 2 handed ones.

How lethargic.

Nintendo promo video

In the video the controller is presented at first without the nunchuck add on.

The system's website also details the controller without the FHC.. most press shots except the systme at GDC have been seen without the nunchuck.

Games-

- Squash/Tennis: without nunchuck

- Cooking: without nunchuck

- Orchestra game: without nunchuck

- Percussion/Drumming game: without nunchuck

- Baseball game: without nunchuck

- Fishing game: without nunchuck

- Surgery/Dentistry game: without nunchuck

- Mario w/classic sound effects: without nunchuck

It is only at this point in the video they introduce the nunchuck, exactly at the half way point.

- Haunted house/Resident Evil: with nunchuck

- Mario party: with nunchuck

- Metroid Shooter: with nunchuck

- WarioWare pushed!: with nunchuck

- Zelda: with nunchuck

The video ends with the system being left with a shot with the nunchuck plugged in 'here are the possibilities'

I think there's emphasis both ways.. the time allocated in the video was disprersed evenly but obviously less games took advantages of it.

I have said many times that I want a game on launch that doesn't use it.. one where I can just lay down with one arm and relax playing the game.

I'm with Nintendork on this point - Nintendo really need to show the gaming world that games can be played with just the FHC. I was talkin to a Sony fanboy the other day tryin to explain how it works (for the 1000th time, like I said such a fanboy, even at 23 years old) and apart from all the sh1te he was sayin about how it wouldn't work etc., the main thing he said (that I listened to) was 'Yea, but the nun-chuck add-on will be sold seperately'.

Now I know that for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th controllers the add-on prob will be sold seperate and alot of people think that if its an extra, most developer won't use it (think light gun/fishing rod on a 'normal' console). So my fanboy's reasoning was that if a game needs the add-on to be played, and its an extra -> most people wont buy it -> developers wont make the game -> the Revo will fail.

God this post is a mess (now that I read back over it)!

Basically, Nintendo need to show that a 'proper' game (i.e. not just mini-games, Warioware etc) can be controlled with just the FHC. What better way to do this than to release a launch game that just uses the FHC. I think that SSB will be this game. Imagine a 4-player game of SSB (using just 4 FHC)... It would be nuts! AND SO MUCH DAMN FUN!!!

Looking back at all the things Nintendo have said about their new system, the controller and the state of the industry, I'm starting to think that the nunchuck add-on will not be used as much as people have assumed.

Firstly, Nintendo have stated that the reason behind their dramatic shift from the regular controller style is so non-gamers do not feel intimidated by the look and the idea of using both hands.

Secondly, in Iwata's speach at last year's TGS, he seems to stronly associate the Nunchuck add-on with first person shooters and other genres popular in the Western world.

I wouldn't be suprised if the large majority of first-party games we get to see at E3 only use the remote and have no need for the nunchuck add-on. In fact, I reckon even the top-secret Mario128 will work this way. This would be a big big suprise and would really freak a lot of people out but i reckon it's possibly the best way for nintendo to silence the critics, prove that you don't need a hand full of buttons to play games and demonstrate the amazing gameplay possible with just a little bit of imagination.

I reckon that the majority of 3rd party games will use the nunchuck add-on, however. It's kind of like a way to introduce this new '3D space' interface to developers without scaring them too much (I really hate the idea of this 'shell' or cradle,' it's seems like nintendo have been bullied into taking a step backwards cos people are too set in their ways).

Basically, I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of games (especially from old Ninty) that require only one hand to play: Wario ware, pilotwings, strategy titles (like pikmin), sports titles, even 3D platformers and adventure games. They're all possible without the nunchuck add-on.

Metroid and Smash Bros, however, are different. They're targeted towards regular games players, and so will use more complex controls - with a refreshing, motion-sensitive twist!

What do you think?

considering that nintendo have always stated the add on is to allow the growth of established genres on the rev alongside 'new' titles... what are you trying to say?

they also have been quite open that the add on was only conisdered after dev's - specifically retro studios - mentioned that the FHC alone would limit the types of games that could be made.

The FHC itself offers little control - it's not quite enough for games in which you need to walk (don't begin on the D-pad). For immersive games, the nunchuck is probably a must. We'll probably see FHC-only control on simpler games.

I think most all games could eventually be weened off the analog stick with a little creativity from programmers. All racing, RPG, puzzle, brain-training, party, strategy, simulation, and most adventure games should easily be handled by the FHC alone. I see absolutely no need for the shell at this point. If you can't live without a traditional control pad then you probably should have bought a 360 or PS3

I have a question regarding the nun-chuck addon; will it feature the same gyroscopic features as the FHC?

I hoped so, but it is unlikely.. because it is not a standard addition.. plus it does not have the size or radar sensor on the front.

I think the chances are slim and none.. though it would have some minor benefits I don't think it would outweigh the cost knowing how much money from the systems budget is being devoted to this technology.

i dont see the problem with using the D-Pad.

The only problem i see is shooting while strafing or running in a FPS would be awkward without the nunchuck. Could be done but youd have to have both hands on the FHC at all times

I think most all games could eventually be weened off the analog stick with a little creativity from programmers. All racing, RPG, puzzle, brain-training, party, strategy, simulation, and most adventure games should easily be handled by the FHC alone. I see absolutely no need for the shell at this point. If you can't live without a traditional control pad then you probably should have bought a 360 or PS3

THat´s what I wanted to say!! Right!!!

You just forgot jetfighting and spaceshooter games:wink:

Everybody who wants a shell-crap should buy a 360, and I don´t see nintendo offering a shell.... perhaps mad-catz do one...

For the supernintendo and megadrive games I´ll just use an old GCN-controller!

THat´s what I wanted to say!! Right!!!

You just forgot jetfighting and spaceshooter games:wink:

Everybody who wants a shell-crap should buy a 360, and I don´t see nintendo offering a shell.... perhaps mad-catz do one...

For the supernintendo and megadrive games I´ll just use an old GCN-controller!

Nintendo are making a shell for GameCube games, they are serious about offering true backwards compatibility.

There are some issues with the N64 having a lot of buttons.. and that might lead to complications.

I hope we don't see 10 different shells for each platform.. it's great saying turn the Revolution controller sidewas and it's a NES pad- but it looks ridiculously uncomfortable.

It's not ideal for all systems.. as pointed out the Mega Drive and PC-engine will be interesting.

The FHC is new, it's good but we shouldn't disgregard every other accesory just because of that? Why rellogate an accesory to the realms of third party accesory makes when Nintendo are hoping to offer GameCube backwards compatibility out of the box.

Nintendo are making a shell for GameCube games, they are serious about offering true backwards compatibility.

There are some issues with the N64 having a lot of buttons.. and that might lead to complications.

I hope we don't see 10 different shells for each platform.. it's great saying turn the Revolution controller sidewas and it's a NES pad- but it looks ridiculously uncomfortable.

It's not ideal for all systems.. as pointed out the Mega Drive and PC-engine will be interesting.

The FHC is new, it's good but we shouldn't disgregard every other accesory just because of that? Why rellogate an accesory to the realms of third party accesory makes when Nintendo are hoping to offer GameCube backwards compatibility out of the box.

This is a well made point Nintendork. Also the shell is necessary for people who didn't own a Gamecube this gen and so won't be able to use a gamecube controller. Or say is someone wanted to buy a gamecube game for revo they could just use the shell to play it and not have to look for a cube pad to buy.

Man, the more I think about it, the more the possibilities for the FHC on it's own become blatantly obvious! And exciting!

Mario 128

Mario's always situated in the centre of the screen, with a high camera, slightly angled.

D-Pad: rotate the camera around mario and Zoom in out. at maximum Zoom in, it switches to 1st person, static viewing (controlled by the FHC)

FHC: While holding A, Mario runs towards the spot that the FHC is pointing towards, much like using a mouse in an old isometric RPG such as Diablo. The more you point towards the screen's edge, the faster Mario runs. Small flicks make mario jump.

B button: Combines with the FHC pointer (like a mouse cursor) and context sensitive markers in mario's environment to allow for various actions (Kick Kooper shell at line of goombas, fire fireballs at cactus, bounce off wall to reach higher platform etc.)

Any kind of FPS

D-Pad: Move foreward, back, and strafe left and right (I know some people are gonna hate that!! :P)

FHC: Aiming and turning... plus:

Flick up: Jump

Pull and hold down: Crouch

Pull left or right: Reload

Quick Twist Left: Secondary weapon function

Quick Twist Right: Tertiary weapon function

B: Fire

A: Hold to bring up weapon and Inventory menu, similar to Perfect dark and Turok 2. Items selectable via the FHC.

I know these may seem like weird compromises, but I reckon stuff like this could work, and work well.

The FHC alone has so many possibilities It's amazing. I do reckon, however, that while nintendo and a few other developers are thinking outside the box, a great many have simply got out of one box and crawled into a slightly bigger one ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I too admire your open way of thinking. Im not quite sure about controlling FPS that way, but the Mario idea is great. I also like the analogy

I do reckon, however, that while nintendo and a few other developers are thinking outside the box, a great many have simply got out of one box and crawled into a slightly bigger one