Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Doctor Who

KKOB

Yes, it was all down to Amy's memory, even though she would temporarilly forget the Doctor, he would still be 'alive' in her head somewhere as her 'imaginary friend' certain things on her wedding day were 'engineered' in such a way that it would cause her to remember, thus bringing him back... he returns... they remember everything.

Or something...

When the Doctor was going through the cracks as they were closing he was able to give Amy some clues - the story of the TARDIS and how it was stolen - well, borrowed - ancient yet brand new and very, very blue. This enabled Amy to remember him from the saying she heard at the wedding.

When the Doctor was going through the cracks as they were closing he was able to give Amy some clues - the story of the TARDIS and how it was stolen - well, borrowed - ancient yet brand new and very, very blue. This enabled Amy to remember him from the saying she heard at the wedding.

Yeah, basically that :) I knew there'd be someone else on here who could explain it better than I could lol.

Tbh I thought the way that it was all put together was surprisingly good.

AKA, desperate bullshit.

I don't think I was paying all that much attention, so could someone clear this thing up for me. They were saying that when the Doctor flew the Pandorica into the Tardis exploding, everything would be hunky dory again. None of the series would've happened, everyone would've forgotten what happened because it never happened, unless a random item/saying/whatever causes them to remember what never happened.

Except the Doctor would fuck himself over, being on the wrong side of the cracks when they close: Cue everyone being sad. Five minutes later he's alive and well on the 'right' side of the cracks. Was this explained with something better than timey wimey shizzle?

It's been set up the entire series. The memory of something helps keep it alive, but as Amy has been living with the crack all her life, she somehow has the ability to return things if they have fallen through the crack

Glad the whole cast is staying too, as we all fell in love with Amy and Rory.
Really?...

Rory's to bad an actor to be in it much next season! I think after the Christmas special, he'll somehow let Amy go off on her own... not quite sure how they'll do that storywise though.

And can't say I've fallen in love with Amy, thought she had begun to get a bit annoying. I think they'll have to write her character a bit differently next series, if she's to stay interesting.

Amy I like more and more, maybe because this time round the doctor's companion doesn't want to jump into his pants
Not really... only an episode or two in and she was ready to bump his braces!... But yes, once she realised how much Rory meant to her their Doctor/companion relationship got better.
It could be a lie because this episode keeps mention that the doctor lies.
Well the last Christmas special was... The Titanic... In Space (running out of ideas much?), so I wouldn't put it past them to throw an Egyptian god into the mix!

It was not a bad finale at all. The only thing I had an issue with was how the Doctor got out of the Pandorica. Rory only managed to open it with the Sonic Screwdriver, which the Doctor gave him after he got out. Timey Wimey or not, that doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather it just required the touch of a time traveller (or near enough). Yet again the writer wrote himself into a hole it was not possible to get out of in a satisfying manner! However, there were some lovely moments, such as the stone Daleks in the museum and Amy's sluttish "You may definitely kiss the bride!", whilst Rory looked on, hapless as usual!

Oh, I was also rather miffed the sinister voice in the Tardis wasn't resolved. I don't want to have to wait years to find out about that!

If I could sum up this series in one word it would be "flat". It was good. It never reached the lows of Russell T Davies, but nor did it reach the highs. Watching RTD was "Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Argh, what rubbish!", whereas watching Steven Moffat is "OK, OK, good, OK, OK, good..."

First, the positives: the casting. Karen Gillan was just brilliant, I loved her - 5/5. Matt Smith had the hardest job in TV by taking over from David Tennant, but he did brilliantly. I loved his geeky take on it. Not as good as the previous two Doctors, but probably the best actor available nonetheless. I'd give him 4/5, maybe more if he didn't mumble some of the lines!

What I wasn't so keen on was the dull tone, which I thought was prevalent throughout the episodes. The lighting wasn't as good as usual - maybe it was meant to be moody or something? It didn't do it for me.

Now, onto the complex matter of Steven Moffat. He's good, there's no doubt about it, but I feel he is too interested in time travel and all its complexities. That doesn't necessarily equal entertainment. I'm loathe to criticise him, as I respect him greatly for giving up Hollywood to write Doctor Who, but I find his style very calm and methodical, lacking in flair.

The best stories do not need to be complex or high-stakes. I think one of the very best was in Season 3 when the Judoon transported a hospital to the moon. Their only aim was to find the Plasmivore, that's all, but it was done in an extremely entertaining way.

As such, I thought the best epsiode this year was "Amy's Choice", written by Men Behaving Badly's Simon Nye. It really had that pacing and humour. Vampires in Venice and Gareth Roberts' The Lodger also had brilliant humour and dialogue, if not the stories to match. I loved the Doctor air-kissing everyone he met! It was a classic!

I don't mean to imply Steven Moffat's scripts lacked this though. The most pleasant surprise of the series was that there were just as many funny moments as with Tennant. Personally, I thought Moffat's best story was the Weeping Angels 2-parter, as it was logical, plausible and the resolution was there to be deciphered.

Overall, it's still a good programme. Not as good as it used to be, but probably as good as it can be at the moment.

Something that annoyed me about this series...

The Doctor can go anywhere in the universe, and yet only 2 episodes didn't take place on Earth!

And of these two episodes... the 'Angels' planet looked identicle to Earth, and the Spaceship they visited in episode two, was Earth in space! :indeed:

Something that annoyed me about this series...

The Doctor can go anywhere in the universe, and yet only 2 episodes didn't take place on Earth!

And of these two episodes... the 'Angels' planet looked identicle to Earth, and the Spaceship they visited in episode two, was Earth in space! :indeed:

They kinda had to do that for the same reason as in S1, they had budget cuts and with redesigning the TARDIS for HD and everything, there wasn't that much left for alien planets

They kinda had to do that for the same reason as in S1, they had budget cuts and with redesigning the TARDIS for HD and everything, there wasn't that much left for alien planets
Yeah that's what I put it down to, but even a setup like 'Midnight' would have done.

Retro_Link, you should probably stay far, far away from Stargate SG-1. The vast of the planets they visit are pine tree forests.

And Cold Blood was mainly set in a very alien-looking underground.

Edit: Oh, and the second adventure game isn't that different to the first. Just very icy and with Cybermen.

This song sounds like it came from Lost soundtrack.

When I watched the episode and heard the music with a slightly slower silent scene, it immediately made me think of lost.

Murray Gold is awesome with music. His DW soundtracks are among the best TV & Movie soundtracks around

Edited by Serebii

I hope the Yeti is in it, I love the sound of that!

As for the film, just because it was American, it could still theoretically have been written by Russell T Davies and had David Tennant in it, so would have been welcome in my book.

I hope the Yeti is in it, I love the sound of that!

As for the film, just because it was American, it could still theoretically have been written by Russell T Davies and had David Tennant in it, so would have been welcome in my book.

But Johnny Depp? As The Doctor?...I dunno whether that would work...

But Johnny Depp? As The Doctor?...I dunno whether that would work...

No, probably wouldn't. Sorry, to be honest, I didn't read it (I'd heard about an American film and just assumed RTD + Tennant). Johnny Depp's great, but he's no David Tennant! That man is the Doctor this generation!

Edited by Grazza