Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK kinda makes sense. I'll get it for whichever console it's best on. For example if it's got really great Wii controls I'll get it for that, but if not I'll get it for 360 with HD graphics and Live.

i agree, but Wii will be my main console because it will be the one i play the most, introduce all my frineds to and buy the most games for.

like the gamecube was my main console cos i bought more than 40 GC games compared to about 20 PS2 and 15 XBOX games. i only ever buy the best games that come out-just one of those things really.

i agree, but Wii will be my main console because it will be the one i play the most, introduce all my frineds to and buy the most games for.

like the gamecube was my main console cos i bought more than 40 GC games compared to about 20 PS2 and 15 XBOX games. i only ever buy the best games that come out-just one of those things really.

I told my mom what I'd pre ordered tonight and she was like :D I've got to have a go of that. It's gonna be fucking awesome. :D I'm so hyped for Wii. Still kinda not bothered about PS3 even though I've become more open minded about video games in general, I just can't see anything to get excited about.

After leaving Sony’s Gamers’ Day event last week, we were much more impressed with the PlayStation 3 than our prior experience with it at Tokyo Game Show and other press events. What most notably grabbed our attention was how first, second, and third party developers have tailored their PlayStation 3 titles to work with the motion sensing Sixaxis controller. While some games utilized this new technology better than others, we’ve got the details on how each title works with the Sixaxis, and our thoughts on whether or not this added immersion is necessary so far.

Note: Each of these games is still in development, and Sixaxis controls could change prior to release.

First Party Titles:

Resistance: Fall of Man – Resistance uses the Sixaxis differently in single player than in multiplayer. The only portion of the single player game that uses the Sixaxis is when you are attacked and grabbed by a Leaper or Menial. By shaking the controller you can free yourself from the enemy and pummel it with a melee attack.

On the multiplayer side of things, things get much more interesting. If you’re tagged by a Chimerian bullseye rifle (that attaches a homing beacon), set on fire, about to get flamed from an air-fuel grenade, or zapped with an Arc Charger, you can shake yourself free.

Finally, by tilting the controller either left or right you can get updated real-time leaderboard stats and map callout.

NBA 07 – By jabbing the controller forward you can execute a juke step, backwards to hesitate, and left or right to crossover in that direction. Spin moves are controlled by treating the controller like a steering wheel, and rotating the controller left or right.

Genji: Days of the Blade – When your character is approaching enemies you can tilt the controller left, right, backwards and forwards to dodge enemies. However, this can also be done by pressing the right analog stick.

Third Party Titles:

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII – There are two alternate control schemes that utilize the motion and tilt functionality: Arcade and Simulation. The Arcade scheme has you turning the controller to turn the plane, and tilting the controller up and down to control pitch. Roll is mapped to the right analog stick.

In Simulation mode, roll the plane by tilting the controller left or right, and pitch is still mapped to tilting the controller up or down. Turning the plane left or right is mapped to the right stick.

Call of Duty 3 – If you’ve ever wanted to effectively smack your enemy in the face, melee attacks are now mapped to the tilt functionality. A quick twist right will butt enemies with your weapon.

You can also steer vehicles such as a jeep, and twist to arm an explosive.

Fight Night Round 3 – It’s time to fight dirty. Each of the boxers has dirty moves (either default or you can choose), and by shaking or thrusting the controller forward a little bit you'll unleash an upper illegal move like a headbutt or elbow. If you rattle the controller while holding down L1 it'll release a lower illegal move like a knee or a low blow.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: There are no plans for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to support the Sixaxis controller.

F.E.A.R.: There are currently no plans for F.E.A.R. to support the Sixaxis controller.

Full Auto 2: Battlelines: There are no plans for Full Auto 2: Battlelines to support the Sixaxis controller.

Madden NFL 07: Fake snaps by jerking the controller backwards or forwards to draw the defense off guard. You can also initiate hit-stick shots on defense and lead-blocking blocks on offense by jolting the Sixaxis up or down.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance: Gestures with the Sixaxis allow you to power-up charges, jump higher, and throw objects harder and further. Some of the playable characters get a statistics bump when pulling off Extreme Powers by thrusting the controller down at the right time.

Many of the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance’s boss battles incorporate a rhythm pattern in which to do specific movements with the controller to combat the boss more effectively.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire: There are no plans for Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire to support the Sixaxis controller.

NBA 2K7: The only portion of the game that uses the Sixaxis is with free throws. You can actually hold the controller like you would toss it towards a basket.

Need For Speed Carbon: The Sixaxis controller basically acts to assist your steering by turning the controller like a steering wheel hard while you've got the analog stick pegged. Depending on how fast you are going and how tight the turn is, the Sixaxis assist may give you a little extra help to steer you in harms way.

NHL 2K7: 2K Sports has implemented Sixaxis control with both checking and Crease Control. By shaking the controller when next to an opponent you’ll check them. For Crease Control you’ll be able to rotate the direction of the cone of what you’re blocking. You’ll also be able to make saves by moving the cursor to block shots.

Ridge Racer 7: Namco plans on allowing for steering and gear shift changes with the Sixaxis. You will be able to shift gears by jolting the controller away from you to downshift, and towards you to upshift.

Sonic the Hedgehog: There are currently no plans for Sonic The Hedgehog to support the Sixaxis controller.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07: Instead of having to pound on a button to control how fast the ball should spin after a shot, you can tilt the controller in the direction you want the ball to spin. The more you tilt the faster the ball will spin.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas: With Vegas, the Sixaxis controller is used in conjunction with the snake cam. When snake caming under a door, tilt the controller left or right to move the camera and tag terrorists.

Tony Hawk’s Project 8: There are two main control schemes for Tony Hawk’s Project 8 – the normal setting, and the Sixaxis setting. With the Sixaxis setting almost everything is controlled with the tilt functionality. Tilting the controller side to side allows you to steer your boarder, and balance while grinding. Flicking the Sixaxis enters your skater into a manual and balancing is done by tilting forward and backward. Revert or pivot by quickly twisting the Sixaxis. By tilting the controller with a combination of button presses allows for grab and flip tricks.

When you’re attempting Nail the Trick, tilt the controller forward and backward to pull off either a kick flip or heel flip. Rocking the controller side to side executes an impossible, and twisting the controller will perform a shove-it.

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom: There are no plans for Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom to support the Sixaxis controller.

Initial Thoughts:

So far, our experience with the PlayStation 3 titles that support Sixaxis functionality are hit and miss. It’s actually quite surprising that any games truly benefit at all since almost all of the developers found out about this control scheme the same time we did – at E3 2006. While we haven’t tried every single PlayStation 3 title that’s appearing in the launch window, the few that do a solid job are Resistance: Fall of Man, Call of Duty 3, NHL 2K7, Tony Hawk’s Project 8, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07.

Even though all the games in the above list have Sixaxis motion sensing as optional, for the few that have some serious benefits it could be what sways people from buying the Xbox 360 version of the title, and opting for the PlayStation 3 version. While we don’t have any final verdicts until we get our hands on review versions of the game, for now we’re excited about what little things that the Sixaxis can offer gamers with certain games. We don’t expect every game to use or need it, but we’re all for being even more immersed into the next generation.

www.gameinformer.com

This week, some of our deepest fears about Sony's online service were confirmed when Insomniac's Ted Price revealed in an interview that one of the biggest launch titles for the console, Resistance: Fall of Man, is set to use its own buddy list, clan registry, in-game messaging and chat services, and so on. While the game sounds like it has a very extensive and comprehensive range of online gaming options, and it runs on Sony's international network of servers to guarantee a high standard of network performance for online play, the simple fact is that the last hurdle Sony needed to jump has been missed, at least for the launch titles. The central buddy list doesn't integrate into the game; you'll need to add all your friends again to play against them in Resistance.

The ball, in other words, has not so much been dropped; it has been hurled at the ground with alarming force. Sony has done the hard work - it has built a console operating system which can be updated over the network, which is always-on and network aware, which can handle multiple user profiles and friend lists, messaging and chat, and so on. It has built an infrastructure which can support multiplayer games running on remote servers with players all over the world taking part. Somehow, however, it has failed to take the final step - actually providing the single sign-in, single-ID, single profile service which lies at the core of a console multiplayer offering.

The reasons developers cite for this problem are simple; the libraries to do this were not available early enough. The speculation they offer for why that happened is intriguing, however; there is a strong suggestion that until relatively recently, Sony had planned on simply offering games a connection to the Internet and letting them get on with whatever buddy lists, profiles, match-making and so on they wanted, completely unaware of any other game on the system. This is how the PlayStation 2 worked online, much to the chagrin of users.

Someone, somewhere within Sony, wanted things to stay that way. It's an illustration of just how out of touch a company can be from what its consumers want or need to enjoy their experience of a console and its software, and thankfully it was overturned. PS3 will, eventually, sport a unified online interface - but the tragic thing is that whatever internal battle resulted in this decision was won far too late. PS3, at launch, will be crippled in an online sense by an admittedly promising service in the operating system which is not utilised by key, big-name online titles such as Resistance. As teething troubles go, it's an absolutely huge one - and Sony will have to work very hard to win back the confidence of gamers who had been drawn in by the promise of single sign-in online gaming on the platform. It may be forgiveable in launch titles - but if the second wave of PS3 games doesn't cement the vision of a unified online gaming service, the price Sony has to pay for this oversight may be one that's difficult for the company to stomach.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Atari and Chuck E. Cheese founder Nolan Bushnell has strongly criticized Sony, predicting that the PS3 will fail and that Sony's great success with its first two consoles was merely "accidental." He didn't have anything nice to say about Atari either...

Atari founder and gaming pioneer Nolan Bushnell may not be closely connected to the traditional video game business anymore—he founded Chuck E. Cheese and more recently a digital entertainment bistro called uWink—but he's certainly got some very strong opinions on the video game industry today. Speaking to business publication Red Herring, Bushnell offered such harsh words for Sony as well as his old Atari.

Regarding the prospects for the PlayStation 3 he said, "I think Sony shot themselves in the foot... there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live... a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don't buy hardware, they buy software."

And the attack didn't stop there. Bushnell went on to say that Sony doesn't even deserve the credit for successfully selling over 100 million units of the PS1 and PS2, each. "It wasn't anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner," he asserted. "It would not surprise me if a year from now they'll be struggling to sell 1 million units. [Factoring in the PS3's price], I think in the U.S. the number of early adopters you have is actually around 300,000."

As for his old company, Bushnell didn't exactly have kind words for the current Atari/Infogrames either. "It really isn't a part of today's gaming world in any meaningful way. They lost the cachet of being a leading technology company in the games space," he said.

So what does he like in the gaming space? Bushnell is apparently "very curious and interested" in the Wii and he believes "Xbox Live is interesting because it potentially becomes the platform for the living room." There's certainly the possibility for that when you consider that Microsoft just launched an HD television and movie service for Xbox Live.

For more, check out the full interview.

GameDaily BIZ

Heh, well the first genji wasn't that great either, so it's really no surprise.

Still want Ridge Racer 7!!!

My friend said a pretty interesting thing, which I do agree with.

"At the end of the day - when you stomach the price - the PS3 is a quieter machine than the 360 with about equal or perhaps a little bit better performance, with 50GB media as standard...

.integrated free online functionality complete with a Marketplace style substitute and an "Arcade" that already has a couple of really promising indie projects on the way. How is that - in any fathomable way - a bad thing?"

Looks like real time weapons changing and giant enemy crabs aren't all they were cracked up to be.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744611p1.html

I don't get it. If that was a Nintendo game it would have got 4.5 or something. They say that the sound score was limited but good and they gave it an 8.5? Being a bit generous from the sound of it really...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!