N-Europe

Prayer fails to heal sick

BlueStar

Perosnaly I think tests like these are stupid, as a christisn (and I would emagine people of other faiths would agree) I find the idea of testing God not only stupid, but rather offensive. And am not suppprised by the results, as it even says in the bible not to put God to the test.

I quote:

Researchers emphasized their work does not address whether God exists or answers prayers made on another's behalf. The study can only look for an effect from prayers offered as part of the research, they said.

For me, this 'test' changes nothing for me. And i doubt it will for many others.

Prove it.

You can't?

Well I can't prove that a planet exists populated by giant mice with the heads of baby elephants who breathe methane and speak Swedish..... backwards. That doesn't mean that such a planet really does exist. In the end religion is exactly as people describe it, a faith, blind optimism in some higher power who will make things better. Not that there is anything wrong with that, sometimes a faith can be comforting and reassuring. For those with illnesses, religion and prayers can offer hope, possibly aiding recovery like placeboes. I think that was what this study was trying to discover, not the existance of God. In fact it even states in the article:

"Researchers emphasized their work does not address whether God exists or answers prayers made on another's behalf. The study can only look for an effect from prayers offered as part of the research, they said."

god doesnt exist.

religion makes war

war makes people like george bush do stupid things (setting up 9/11)

religion fucks the world over.

good to know.

religion is shit, damn all those incredible civilisations and works of incredible beauty committed in its name!

Personally,

I've always felt that "faith related healing" has a huge dependancy on the mindset of the patient. This isn't limited to a certain religeon, but to all from what I know.

One thing I feel is that there is an undiscovered medium which is a function of "human mind", which we haven't detected yet. We have discovered equipment to detect the likes of Radio Waves, Ultra Violet, etc... but I think paralell to the EM spectrum, there is a spectrum (or many of them), which can explain the existance of lost souls (ghosts) and healing etc etc.

To put it another way - if you went back in time to Year 1500 and told people you have a "Radio" which can communicate over many miles, people would either laugh at you or kill you for witchcraft. We ain't laughing now though, are we?